Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Venice votes in referendum on splitting from.

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,522 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

This has probably been missed with the heinous situation in Crimea, but Venice is also voting today (and over the course of the next week), to become independent from Italy. It is yet another non - binding referendum....

Voting has begin in Venice and the surrounding region on whether to break away from Italy.
Recent opinion polls suggest that two thirds of the four million electorate favour splitting from Rome, but the vote will not be legally binding.

Read More (courtesy BBC): http://www.bbc.com/n...europe-26604044

Edited by keithisco, 16 March 2014 - 05:31 PM.

#2    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,174 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

So, how do they suppose they could possibly go it alone as an independent city state?  I mean, the economy has changed a bit since the glorious days of the Doges,

"It's nice" ~ Jurgen Klopp.

#3    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Drifter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

• How much do you don't see?

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:56 PM

Good for them. I guess they'd rely on trading & tourism, doesn't look like agriculture would be their best bet... but what would prevent Italy from enforcing their claim on Venice with force if Venice actually tried to go through with this all the way? How far would, ahd should they go?

Wherever there's a problem, there's solutions.
Answers are found from a wide deep perspective, from opened mind's eyes.
From where good and bad stay silent and you hear the real cause and effect, and big picture.
Giving up is wasting your time, but also necessary to find the true cause you didn't find yet.
Staying in the path is necessary only when there's trueness in that path.

#4    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,691 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:30 PM

I mean if two thirds truly want to split from a country then I see no reason why they should not be free too.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#5    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,785 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 16 March 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

I mean if two thirds truly want to split from a country then I see no reason why they should not be free too.
What if that two thirds happens to be sitting on most of the natural wealth of the country?  South Sudan is a prime example.  It just leads to war.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#6    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,174 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

The problem is (like with Scotland) that they often seem to expect that the country they want to split from will continue supporting them, or that they'll be able to just take whatever share of the economy, the armed forces etc happens to be in their part of it.

#7    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,955 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for posting Keith i heard rumblings about this on the news awhile ago and completely forgot about it. i cannot see how this referendum can be even considered legal, for the result to carry any legality the Italian government would need to give its approval.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#8    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,305 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

There seems to be more and more regions and provinces that want to be apart from rest of a country, next will be Naples then Sicily

#9    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,229 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:42 AM

If anyone wants Canberra, you can havr it as long as you take Tony Abbott as well.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#10    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,174 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

Perhaps it shows how tenuous the notion of the 'nation' really is, however important some people may consider it to be to salute the Flag at every opportunity. The good thing now is that, even if these small states may have perpetually warred with each other back in mediaval times, very few of them now would have any significant military capability at all, a modern military capability would be completely out of the reach of even wealthy states like Venice might be, let alone somewhere like Scotland. The military power would surely remain in the control of some kind of federal government, while leaving the individual states to look after themselves.

#11    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Drifter

• 1,970 posts

• How much do you don't see?

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

Yup Colonel, but would they need any serious military power? It'd be quite different if they lived closer to Russia or USA...

Wherever there's a problem, there's solutions.
Answers are found from a wide deep perspective, from opened mind's eyes.
From where good and bad stay silent and you hear the real cause and effect, and big picture.
Giving up is wasting your time, but also necessary to find the true cause you didn't find yet.
Staying in the path is necessary only when there's trueness in that path.

#12    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,174 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

Everyone seems to think they do.

#13    Peter B

Peter B

Psychic Spy

• 1,843 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 17 March 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

If anyone wants Canberra, you can havr it as long as you take Tony Abbott as well.

Oi! What's Canberra ever done to you? (And I'll remind you that 98% of Federal politicians do not come from Canberra...)

And it's not like we voted for Abbott - blame the good burghers of Manly and Mosman for that.

#14    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,229 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:39 AM

Well if you get out quickly, we could wall it up with the pollies there and improve the collective national IQ

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#15    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,257 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:28 AM

View Poststevewinn, on 16 March 2014 - 06:52 PM, said:

i cannot see how this referendum can be even considered legal, for the result to carry any legality the Italian government would need to give its approval.
Or have over 20,000 French troops roll in and scare the Pope.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users