Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Scientists resurrect 1,500-year-old moss

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

Despite being frozen in ice for over a millennium, the ancient moss started to grow after being thawed.

Scientists at the British Antarctic Survey collected samples of the moss from the depths of the Antarctic permafrost and placed them in to an incubator at a temperature similar to that of the conditions experienced by live specimens in the summer.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...0-year-old-moss

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    6.6.6

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

As polar caps melt its going to be interesting as to what else is revealed!
Ancient wonders, or viruses trapped in time for thousands of years.
The glory of ice being, what ever is in there is going to be well preserved

Edited by 6.6.6, 18 March 2014 - 06:53 PM.

#3    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:55 PM

The Thing.

[media='funny-pic'][/media]

#4    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

How wonderful!  I hope there are ancient flowers as well, or tree seeds.  It would be amazing to watch something that old spring from the ground and grow.

#5    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

It speaks to the tenacity of life. We used to believe that life was so fragile and could only exist within certain parameters. Our understanding has come a long way in the last few decades. I just hope we don't wake up something that humans have lost immunity to.

#6    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,158 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:36 AM

View Postmoonshadow60, on 18 March 2014 - 07:26 PM, said:

How wonderful!  I hope there are ancient flowers as well, or tree seeds.  It would be amazing to watch something that old spring from the ground and grow.

That would be neat, but I think I remember the only two higher vascular plants in Antarctica are one species of grass and one composite (daisy family), so trees at least would be highly unlikely.

#7    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:55 AM

Image finding an animal that put itself in suspend animation, an animal we never seen before that is billions of years old. It would be amazing find and it would help scientists in evolution department. It would probably be one of the fewest fossil animals to be alive, with remarkable attributes that could be studied and applied to today's science. I am hoping for an animal with attributes we never have seen so far...

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#8    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:49 PM

Awww,,,but it would be wonderful if there were tree seeds.  Maybe carried to the area by ancient birds.

#9    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,924 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

Already posted

http://www.unexplain...opic=263919&hl=

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#10    eaglesareskykittens

eaglesareskykittens

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

• People say you can't live without love....
    ....I think Oxygen is more important.

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:27 AM

This reminds me of a certain episode from the 4th Dr. Who.....

#11    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,454 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:38 PM

View Postmoonshadow60, on 19 March 2014 - 04:49 PM, said:

Awww,,,but it would be wonderful if there were tree seeds.  Maybe carried to the area by ancient birds.

Ya,   especially if they would sprout! stories like this always make me wonder about the nature of LIFE ...  how can life be maintained within stuff like this?!   Orrr ... does life somehow  Re enter !?    I doubt that i guess.. but it dumfounds me how life could still be in that moss .

Edited by lightly, 26 March 2014 - 07:38 PM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users