Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Old Melbourne Gaol figure

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,846 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

Here's a rather eerie picture that I was sent today and thought I'd post it up here to get some second opinions.

The story behind it is as follows:

Yesterday i went to visit the Old Melbourne Gaol in Australia around midday when i took the picture. I am writing to ask for your opinion, and to possibly clarify/confirm if there really was, or was not something paranormal in my photo. (Note: i was wearing a wide swing like cardigan dress with a hoodie attached but was off my head)

This picture was taken using my iphone 4s camera, in one of the corner cell blocks and i was ALONE in that cell room, as well as the surrounding area. This cell room contained all the original instruments that was used to perform executions by hanging such as ropes, face covers etc, and was contained in a chest. Right beside the chest was just a mannequin to display how a prisoner would appear on execution day such as the clothes they would wear. The mannequin and the chest were protected by a floor to ceiling glass as these items are authentic and in its original condition. This room was just located across from the scaffolding of where the execution actually took place.

If you have a look to the right of the photo you can see my reflection. As i mentioned, i was alone in that room as well as the surrounding area. Right behind on top of my head to the right, it appears as if someone was standing behind me, but as i said i was alone, and if i knew that there was someone there then i would have shifted aside for others to be able to peer in or come into the room as i did not want to appear as if i was hogging the tight entrance. I would've been able to hear if someone was approaching nearby. Ive also tried to look in between my feet in the photo to see if there were any legs belonging to that head-like figure behind me but i cannot see any. Perhaps you may have other resources to better and analyse the photo than what my eyes can see. I did not feel any shifts in temperatures but i did feel extremely nauseous and sadness for the entire duration i was on the second and third level of cell blocks. My partner too had also felt nauseous but that was all that he felt.

Posted Image

#2    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

I think someone with photo skills should lighten the picture up.  I can't really make heads or tails of where the person begins or ends.  That might help.

#3    ohnoyoudidnt

ohnoyoudidnt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

Yeah i chose the auto enhancer on my iphone before i emailed this pic to the administrator. Im no good with photo editing of the sort so unless someone else can brighten it up would be greatly appreciated!

#4    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

View Postohnoyoudidnt, on 18 March 2014 - 07:05 PM, said:

Yeah i chose the auto enhancer on my iphone before i emailed this pic to the administrator. Im no good with photo editing of the sort so unless someone else can brighten it up would be greatly appreciated!

Someone around here will be able to do it.

#5    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,852 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:15 PM

Here's the photo with the brightness and contrast amplified to bring out some of the detail in the dark areas, but there's not that much to see.  Without reading the description, I thought the doorway was a full length mirror reflecting the mannequin but it's clear that the mannequin has robe like clothes down to its feet and the person in the doorway is wearing a short dress/coat as you can make out their legs quite clearly.  I'm having difficulty making sense of the image in my head though.   It doesn't look like a reflection as I'm struggling to see how if the it's a reflection of the person taking the photograph it would reflect back that way.  Looks more like there's a glass case in the middle of the room and someone was in the opposite corner taking a photo with the camera pointed towards the opposite corner of the room with the entrance offset to the right.

I also can't see the second person seen in the supposed reflection.  Perhaps someone else here can make better sense of it than I can.

Posted Image
image hosting

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#6    ohnoyoudidnt

ohnoyoudidnt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

okay i am the person you see standing in the doorway taking a picture of that mannequin. The mannequin is covered with a clear glass as you can make out. I didnt think thag id be reflected off from that glass. If you see to the top right of my head there also appears to be another head peeking over my head. Btw thanks for amplifying the pic!

#7    ohnoyoudidnt

ohnoyoudidnt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

i hope that makes a bit of sense. I dont remember if there was a mirror to the side of the glass wall because there was another room with a glass wall and mirror next to it. Boom there goes my reflection. upon closer inspection it looks as though something was behind me

#8    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,852 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:38 PM

I've found a pic of the cell in question.  I see now what it looks like and where the entrance would be and where you were standing and that you are indeed being reflected off the glass display case.

Posted Image

Still not sure I can see another person standing behind you though.

Edited by JesseCuster, 18 March 2014 - 07:39 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#9    ohnoyoudidnt

ohnoyoudidnt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:47 PM

Perhaps i need access to Paint so i can arrow in where the "second" head (which i hope there is a natural explanation for it!) is peering over. I shall do that later on when i have access to my lappy as i am using my phone, unless if you can suggest an app that allows me to do that

#10    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 2,962 posts

• My youtube channel, Has horror stories and skits.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCreepyCorridor

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:50 PM

I think it's her hand raising above her head, if you look on the right side of the body, you make out the arm but not the camera due to the smudged glass reflection.

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route and find out what really happened.

#11    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 2,962 posts

• My youtube channel, Has horror stories and skits.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCreepyCorridor

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

Also taking a photo sometimes have a fraction of a second delay after you took the photo.

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route and find out what really happened.

#12    ohnoyoudidnt

ohnoyoudidnt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

thanks for your input. My arms were never raised above my head, they were close to the sides of my chest with my phone sort of close to my face.

#13    dlonewolf85

dlonewolf85

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 228 posts

• I'm not a bad boy,

But just misunderstood!!

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

I still don't get it, lol, am I supposed to tilt my head while staring at it or something?  :)

∂ Ѡοɭ ʄ85

#14    ohnoyoudidnt

ohnoyoudidnt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:26 AM

I have traced over my body using yellow paint. The one in red is the that mysterious random head popping out of nowhere.

Attached Files

#15    Misanthropic

Misanthropic

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

Yeah, i see it.
Can't really explain it but it looks pretty cool whatever the hell it is.

The lyrics from: Mudvayne - Forget To Remember said:

feeling undone - what have i become?
when i turned my back on you i turned my back on myself and became this machine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users