Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Old Melbourne Gaol figure

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31    BarnabasCollins

BarnabasCollins

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

View PostAshyne, on 22 March 2014 - 11:44 PM, said:

This is my detailed image analysis.

As you can very obviously see, there is NO ghost or any paranormal activity/entity around you.

Sorry for my typo error in the lower left box- I meant to write "Shadow" not "Reflection".

Anyway, based on the analysis below, the mystery is solved.

Click Image To Enlarge:

Posted Image

Excellent analysts!

#32    Xiccarph

Xiccarph

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

Hi A.E.,
My inclination is there is probably no figure behind you.  My reasoning on this is the glass partition created a lot of interferance with the strong light from the window (the bright window is also why the room section of the photo came out so dark...the window light overloaded the light sensor on the iPhone). Any intervening transparent material (glass/plastic/etc) between you and the subject  will cause distortions, reflections (obviously here), and other changes. The glass was obviously either very smudged/dirty or not very uniform structurally. My guess offhand, is the "eyes" in the assumed figure were your glasses, which being glass/plastic material, would reflect back to your reflection as two brighter spots than the rest of you did. This makes it look like a face behind you, where it is actually your probably slightly distorted reflected head area.  If you were taking the photo whith your iPhone rasied up slightly in front of your face  but off to one side so you could see what was on the screen and what you were "aiming" at, that could result in your head being slightly crooked to one side, giving the odd tilted look to the "eyes" of the presumed ghostly figure.  There is always a finite probablility of a ghost shot, but probably not here.  If you go there again, take a digital recorder with you...if its really quiet and you know no one else is around in the hall or whatever, try to get an EVP. :-)  The place probably has had at least one ghost hunter group in there,.... has it?
Mike

#33    Ashyne

Ashyne

Believer Turned Sceptic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

View PostXiccarph, on 23 March 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

Hi A.E.,
My inclinationis there is probably no figure behind you.  My reasoning on this is the glass partition created a lot of interferance with the strong light from the window (the bright window is also why the room section of the photo came out so dark...the window light overloaded the light sensor on the iPhone). Any intervening transparent material (glass/plastic/etc) between you and the subject  will cause distortions, reflections (obviously here), and other changes. The glass was obviously either very smudged/dirty or not very uniform structurally. My guess offhand, is the "eyes" in the assumed figure were your glasses, which being glass/plastic material, would reflect back to your reflection as two brighter spots than the rest of you did. This makes it look like a face behind you, where it is actually your probably slightly distorted reflected head area.  If you were taking the photo whith your iPhone rasied up slightly in front of your face  but off to one side so you could see what was on the screen and what you were "aiming" at, that could result in your head being slightly crooked to one side, giving the odd tilted look to the "eyes" of the presumed ghostly figure.  There is always a finite probablility of a ghost shot, but probably not here.  If you go there again, take a digital recorder with you...if its really quiet and you know no one else is around in the hall or whatever, try to get an EVP. :-)  The place probably has had at least one ghost hunter group in there,.... has it?
Mike

There is no need to be inclined or to guess about anything, much less so just registering to write this long paragraph, when the "issue" has already been solved on the previous page.

Edited by Ashyne, 23 March 2014 - 08:33 PM.

Posted Image

#34    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• 1,590 posts

• "If you can't say something nice, be creative."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:23 PM

Ooops--failed to see the latest posts.

Edited by DeWitz, 23 March 2014 - 10:27 PM.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#35    Mys-terious

Mys-terious

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

View PostAshyne, on 23 March 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

There is no need to be inclined or to guess about anything, much less so just registering to write this long paragraph, when the "issue" has already been solved on the previous page.

Xiccarph also provided us with an enlightening analysis.

#36    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,099 posts

• Belief proves nothing. Show me the science.

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:20 PM

View PostAshyne, on 23 March 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

I like you.  I hope you stick around.

#37    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

Great anaylsis everyone. I knew I liked this group. The photo was definitely worth a second look. If I had still been in the location when I reviewed the pic I'm pretty sure I would have needed to go outside and "collect" myself :)

#38    ohnoyoudidnt

ohnoyoudidnt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:10 AM

thanks you guys!

#39    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• 1,430 posts

• Finite to fail, infinite to venture!

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:07 PM

Good analysis, I was going to say that the darkness and possibility of smudges on the mirror seem to have produced a larger and awkward effect to the reflection. I don't even know if ghosts are visible in mirrors, I know I look like a corpse when I look in one though.

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#40    Misanthropic

Misanthropic

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:27 PM

View PostDancingCorpse, on 26 March 2014 - 09:07 PM, said:

Good analysis, I was going to say that the darkness and possibility of smudges on the mirror seem to have produced a larger and awkward effect to the reflection.
Funny how you thought of this after the fact. :) :P
i'm being a wise a** today, wires in my brain are touching and giving off sparks again apparently.

The lyrics from: Mudvayne - Forget To Remember said:

feeling undone - what have i become?
when i turned my back on you i turned my back on myself and became this machine

#41    MissJatti

MissJatti

Psychic Spy

• 1,341 posts

• There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:50 PM

its gandalf the black smoking his pipe viewing the mirror

Posted Image

#42    Aussie Witchdoktor

Aussie Witchdoktor

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

• Life would be so boring if everything could be explained

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:56 AM

Regardless, Melbourne Gaol is a pretty full on place. There seem to be things going on there all the time.

#43    brian17

brian17

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

• Always have an open mind,but not open enough for your brains to fall out.

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

It looks like John Merrick(Elephant Man) having a cigarette break.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users