Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Cancer found in 3,200-year-old skeleton

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

Archaeologists have found the clearest signs yet that cancer is not only a disease of the modern world.

The ancient skeleton dated back to around 1,200 BC and was unearthed in a tomb found in Sudan last year. When experts analyzed the bones they discovered that the remains exhibited signs of lesions and tumors indicative of cancer.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ar-old-skeleton

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,811 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

Must have been a time traveller ;)

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#3    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,827 posts

• With great power, comes great irresponsibility.

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

I blame ancient aliens.

#4    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,911 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

We've know that it wasn't just a modern disease for a long time, have we not?

'“There is no reason to think that cancer is a new disease,” said Robert A. Weinberg, a cancer researcher at the Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research in Cambridge, Mass., and the author of the textbook “The Biology of Cancer.” “In former times, it was less common because people were struck down in midlife by other things.” '
Source: http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

#5    highdesert50

highdesert50

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

Evolution is not always benevolent. It could be that as long as there has been "junk" DNA the threat of cancer has likely existed. In what was once considered junk DNA may be the "drivers" that promote cancer progression. http://singularityhu...dna-study-says/

#6    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,811 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

View PostEldorado, on 19 March 2014 - 03:52 PM, said:

We've know that it wasn't just a modern disease for a long time, have we not?

'"There is no reason to think that cancer is a new disease," said Robert A. Weinberg, a cancer researcher at the Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research in Cambridge, Mass., and the author of the textbook "The Biology of Cancer." "In former times, it was less common because people were struck down in midlife by other things." '
Source: http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

Great new Avatar Elly ;)

My son found it hilarious, asking "who's that goon Dad?"   :clap:

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#7    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,911 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 19 March 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

My son found it hilarious, asking "who's that goon Dad?"

I hope you told him that 'goon' is Licensed to Kill and is also the father of Indiana Jones!

#8    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,036 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

i've never been under the impression that cancer is a modern disease. just because we can recognize it now doesn't mean ancient people didn't die from it, undiagnosed

#9    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,811 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

View PostEldorado, on 19 March 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

I hope you told him that 'goon' is Licensed to Kill and is also the father of Indiana Jones!

And there was me thinking you were Mr Eastwood rather than Mr Connery ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb, 19 March 2014 - 06:57 PM.

#10    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,410 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

View PostJGirl, on 19 March 2014 - 06:02 PM, said:

i've never been under the impression that cancer is a modern disease. just because we can recognize it now doesn't mean ancient people didn't die from it, undiagnosed

I guess most people didn't live long enough then for cancer to manifest itself.  Cancer risk goes up with age.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#11    qxcontinuum

qxcontinuum

Poltergeist

• 2,201 posts

• The age of stupid is upon us. Scientific conclusions are drawn from missing data, resuming to suppositions and guessing.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:24 AM

It is just an isolate case. There was no cancer in the past time. This disease is caused in modern times by our  separation from nature , deeming ourselves with chemicals and pesticides. A small price to pay actually for what we are truly causing to mother nature.

Edited by qxcontinuum, 20 March 2014 - 03:26 AM.

#12    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,784 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:30 AM

View Postqxcontinuum, on 20 March 2014 - 03:24 AM, said:

It is just an isolate case. There was no cancer in the past time. This disease is caused in modern times by our  separation from nature , deeming ourselves with chemicals and pesticides. A small price to pay actually for what we are truly causing to mother nature.

Oh please. Got any science to back that up?

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#13    coolguy

coolguy

Poltergeist

• 2,394 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:07 AM

I guess cancer goes back to the dawn of man kind

#14    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,784 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:51 AM

View Postcoolguy, on 20 March 2014 - 04:07 AM, said:

I guess cancer goes back to the dawn of man kind

Likely even further. When you think about it, the only cancers that would be recorded in fossils are bone cancers and those that would effect the bone in some way. Factor this in with the small percentage of animals that would leave fossils, and one can see why we don't encounter it more.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#15    qxcontinuum

qxcontinuum

Poltergeist

• 2,201 posts

• The age of stupid is upon us. Scientific conclusions are drawn from missing data, resuming to suppositions and guessing.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:41 AM

Has been noticed during the ww2 and after that there were no cancer patiences .It was because ppl have ate less meet or agricultured food. There were more alternative food sources they needed to employ mostly raw. Processed food is also what is killing us slowly. Don't forget what cancer is. It is simple  a mutation of our own cells triggered by chemical factors and food poisoning.

In the same time it can also be seen in our best close friends; dogs and cats. Wild animals are rarely found to have cancer while due to the food processing the poor companions are fed with, they will almost always develop cancers in their final stages of life.

Edited by qxcontinuum, 20 March 2014 - 05:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users