Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Defeat in battle against grey squirrels

grey squirrel red squirrel

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,624 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

Ministers have conceded defeat in their battle against the grey squirrel after more than 140 years by scrapping laws intended to protect their native red cousins.

The government is scrapping laws requiring people to report the presence of grey squirrels on their land so they can be destroyed.

http://www.telegraph...-squirrels.html

Posted Image

#2    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

"Grey squirrels were imported from America to the UK in the 19th century, when they were seen as a fashionable addition to estates. However, they carried the squirrel pox, which native reds had no immunity to."

Nothing more to add.

#3    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,511 posts

• Just because it is in a book doesn't mean it is real or even remotely true.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

As a side note I am wondering just how many "alien" species we have here in the U.S.? I can imagine it is quite a few and apparently it is not restricted to just animals but plants too.

I am sure that "invasive" species occurs quite often and nature has a way to adapt, it seems that it is humans who have an issue.
I doubt one can totally eradicate an entire species, especially squirrels....they are everywhere. Everywhere..even right-behind-you...... :ph34r:

#4    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Missing the 'Banned' Wagon

• 4,731 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

View Postredhen, on 20 March 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

Nothing more to add.

Nothing to add? Or is that fear of the introduction of GreyHens into UM ;)

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#5    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,781 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

You know what would drop the squirrel population in a hurry?  A sufficient bounty per tail to motivate full time hunters.

#6    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:41 AM

I lived in the south of England so I mostly saw the gray squirrels like I'm used to.  England gave me this Yorkshire Terrier tho and I am still debating whether to thank them or smack them. lol

#7    TopToffee

TopToffee

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:54 AM

I have Greys and Rabbits in my back garden.The Crows will come and eat them soon.

#8    Gatofeo

Gatofeo

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

• "An ugly cat. Vast desert. Smoke and fire. Flying lead makes holes in parchment. The ugly cat is much amused." --- Gatodamus (1503-1566)

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:17 AM

People in the southern U.S. eat squirrels. I've had it. It's good with gravy, some veggies and baking powder biscuits.
Nothing wrong with squirrel, if prepared properly. It's a moderately dark meat, but not gamey tasting.
A .410 shotgun or a .22 rifle takes them nicely.
In the 18th and 19th century, squirrels were hunted with muzzleloading rifles of .32 to .40 caliber.
"Barking a squirrel" was considered a fine art of marksmanship.
The squirrel would run along a limb, then lie flat on the limb to avoid the hunter's sight. A good marksman could shoot the limb's bark just under the squirrel, close enough for the concussion to kill the squirrel.
The squirrel would drop off the limb; the meat unharmed by the ball.
Too bad the gray squirrels are taking over. Sounds like you need to hire a few Daniel Boones and Davy Crocketts with their long-barreled squirrel rifles! :yes:

My god! How that ghost makes me dread
My attempts to sleep at night, in my bed
All that moaning and groaning
Keep me awake until morning
Oh wait --- it's that couple next door, newly wed!

--- Copyright 2006 by Gatofeo

I support Rehabilitation through Reincarnation!

#9    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,331 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

My dad grew up during the depression era in the Ozarks ("hillbilly country")... He was the youngest of 8 boys (and three girls) and since his father died when my dad was 3, money was  hard to come by...
They got by on what the older boys could hunt, and what they all could grow in that rocky soil...

My dad used to love telling the story of when three of his older brothers were out hunting and two of them saw the same squirrel... Both shot it (with .410's)... Dad said there was more shot in the squirrel than meat...
I asked him once what squirrel tasted like... he said "home"...

Edited by Taun, 25 March 2014 - 12:01 PM.

Also tagged with grey squirrel, red squirrel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users