Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Am I Running XP?

noobs

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,132 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

Believe it or not, friends there's a website for folks who don't know which Operating System they are on.

'If you're wondering who is still running Windows XP in this day and age, given that support for the OS is ending soon, the answer is it might be YOU! Or at least, so Microsoft suspects.
But fear not: Redmond has stepped up its outreach program with a new website that's designed to get to the bottom of this mystery, once and for all.'
http://www.theregist...m_i_running_xp/

:)

#2    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,481 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

Yeah well in this day and age I am running XP and have no desire to "upgrade" to Windows 7 or whatever. Too expensive for me and I don't trust Linux either.
I have too many programs that I'd have to dump because many do not run on Linux.

Granted I said something similar when I had win 98 however many programs I wanted to use needed better hardware so that is what I did and installed XP. So far XP has been very stable and I have not had any "Blue Screen of Death" thingees.

Just because Win 7 is new doesn't mean much to me. I don't wish to upgrade then come to realize that none of my hardware will work therefore forcing me to spend money I don't have to build a new computer.

#3    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,886 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

We still have it here at work, but when we move, we'll be upgrading everything. I just hope not to Windoze 8. I hate it.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#4    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,267 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

View PostRyu, on 20 March 2014 - 03:03 PM, said:

Yeah well in this day and age I am running XP and have no desire to "upgrade" to Windows 7 or whatever. Too expensive for me and I don't trust Linux either.
I have too many programs that I'd have to dump because many do not run on Linux.

My advise is to backup your files regularly.  Also there may be non-Microsoft antivirus solutions that may still work for Win XP after the support ends.  This could still be cheaper than buying new hardware.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#5    MissJatti

MissJatti

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

• There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

well my dads brothers wifes brothers father in laws brother is still using windows 95

Posted Image

#6    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

Viva la resistance!

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

#7    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,419 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

Granted I said something similar when I had win 98 however many programs I wanted to use needed better hardware so that is what I did and installed XP. So far XP has been very stable and I have not had any "Blue Screen of Death" thingees.

Just because Win 7 is new doesn't mean much to me. I don't wish to upgrade then come to realize that none of my hardware will work therefore forcing me to spend money I don't have to build a new computer.

Just be aware that you are at risk of many new zero day threats that the bad guys are supposedly holding for the day support ends (April 8th) and your security suite may not protect you from one or all of those threats.  Windows XP was released in 2001 when the internet was just taking off (remember dial-up)  and it really wasn't designed for the world we live in today, the constantly connected state of most computers and is very vulnerable to modern threats.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#8    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,132 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:05 PM

Seems like some of you are missing the gist of the article.  No-one is saying using XP is bad.  What is funny, and quite alarming, is that some folks have no idea which Operating System they are using.  Despite the screen telling them every time they start their computer.

#9    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,419 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

View PostEldorado, on 20 March 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

Seems like some of you are missing the gist of the article.  No-one is saying using XP is bad.  What is funny, and quite alarming, is that some folks have no idea which Operating System they are using.  Despite the screen telling them every time they start their computer.

I know it sounds sad but I bet 60% of my customers don't know what version of Windows they are running. They don't understand what a browser is and a bunch are still sending money to AOL.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#10    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

My main machine is running 7, my side piece is running Linux and my leisurely laptop is running 8. I really hate 8. It's driven me to drinking....more than I already consume! My life is in shambles.

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

#11    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,419 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:05 AM

View PostOdd Requiem, on 20 March 2014 - 06:52 PM, said:

My main machine is running 7, my side piece is running Linux and my leisurely laptop is running 8. I really hate 8. It's driven me to drinking....more than I already consume! My life is in shambles.
:w00t:   I hear ya.  Did you download the update to 8.1yet?  Patch it up to date and the the 8.1 update will show up in the store.  Download it and PM me and I'll give you he three clicks that turn 8 sort of into 7.  Another update is coming on April 8 that basically turns 8.1 into Windows 7 so hang in there as it really is a good OS

#12    sam_comm

sam_comm

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:17 AM

View PostEldorado, on 20 March 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

Many people simply do not care about these things. They just want to have a computer to browse the web and check their mails. An ''operating system'' is a technical term and as long as the PC is turning on and remains functional, I suppose it's what most of these people want.

According to this article, you may perhaps not need to pay for upgrading. Microsoft is apparrently considering to offer a free upgrade of Windows 8.1 With Bing.

http://www.pcworld.c...-with-bing.html

As for Linux, as far as I know, you need to find alternative open-source packages. Instead of Office, it is LibreOffice, to replace Windows Media player you can use VLC or Brasero ect. Some use a program called ''Wine'' to run Windows applications such as the popular Itunes and things like that on Linux.

Anyway, the relevance of Linux concerning these XP machines is that many of them simply cannot upgrade to Windows 7 or 8 and have good performances. In the Linux world, you have quite a few ''lightweight'' distributions intended for older hardwares.

Edited by sam_comm, 21 March 2014 - 04:28 AM.

#13    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

I have a windows 7 machine...this one happens to be XP pro...and I have a cad station still running on win 2k pro...it works...don't fix that which is not broken!

Edit to add...the cad station is not "online"...and it is so easy to work on

Edited by Jeremiah65, 23 March 2014 - 06:18 PM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#14    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,481 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

View PostMerc14, on 20 March 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

Windows XP was released in 2001 when the internet was just taking off (remember dial-up)  and it really wasn't designed for the world we live in today, the constantly connected state of most computers and is very vulnerable to modern threats.

Actually I am using high speed internet, not dial up and win XP service pack 3 has the drivers that allow high speed too and so far it has worked quite well for me. In fact all the anti virus programs I have work far better BECAUSE I have XP. Windows 98 kept crashing when I used early versions of AVG that were supposed to run, at that time, on win 98.

No operating system, regardless of whether it is windows, linux or so forth, is going to be 100 percent secure nor will all the anti-virus and anti-malware programs grant 100% protection.

#15    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,419 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:20 PM

View PostRyu, on 23 March 2014 - 06:58 PM, said:

Actually I am using high speed internet, not dial up and win XP service pack 3 has the drivers that allow high speed too and so far it has worked quite well for me. In fact all the anti virus programs I have work far better BECAUSE I have XP. Windows 98 kept crashing when I used early versions of AVG that were supposed to run, at that time, on win 98.

No operating system, regardless of whether it is windows, linux or so forth, is going to be 100 percent secure nor will all the anti-virus and anti-malware programs grant 100% protection.

Of course XP works on-line, it was designed from the start to go online, that wasn't the point I was trying to make.  XP is an archaic OS that is full of vulnerabilities and is far less secure than 7.  That is a fact http://www.cnet.com/...n-xp/    Saying that every OS is vulnerable is stating the obvious, saying that you are sticking with XP because every OS is vulnerable is sticking your head in the sand but it is your head and you can stick anywhere you please.   It is like saying I am bringing a bow and arrow to the war because it shoots just like a gun and every weapon runs out of ammunition anyways.

I personally couldn't care less what OS you use nor do I care if your system is hijacked.  I was merely passing on information that XP users may find valuable, especially if they have sensitive info on their computers.  This is a big deal and people reading this should realize that the above person's attitude is the wrong one if you spend a lot of time on-line.  You will get hit and you may not even know that a rootkit or a worm has taken up residence in your system and is busily sending your info to a remote server or making you part of its botnet team.

Are all OSes vulnerable?  Yes, absolutely and that includes Apple's OS.  Are some OSes far more vulnerable than others?  Yes, absolutely.  OSes introduced 14 years ago were not designed from the ground up to face the sophisticated security threat

Your antivirus working better on XP than 98 is irrelevant because, in all likelihood, you are using security software that was never designed for 98.  I only mention it because it serves to make a point for others.   After support for XP goes away, many software developers will stop work on XP versions.  As time passes the newer and better designed security suites and such will no longer work on XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users