Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Abortion rights group thanks donors

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,138 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

This is a thing:

A Washington, D.C. area abortion rights group gives a coat hanger pendant necklace to those who make a monthly donation of $10 or more to the organization.

The group is The DC Abortion Fund (DCAF).

On their website, they are described as an "all volunteer, non-profit organization that makes grants to women and girls in DC, Maryland and Virginia who cannot afford the full cost of an abortion."

Their slogan is "Her Rights Shouldn't Depend On Her Wallet."

Abortion advocates sometimes use the hanger to remind of the un-safe, illegal abortions some women sought in the past, and how far women's rights have progressed since then.

Yet, others are offended by the coat hanger pendant and the symbolism behind it.

Posted Image
http://www.myfoxdetr...endant-necklace

#2    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 11,962 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

Classy.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#3    We are lizard people

We are lizard people

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:27 PM

Could you imagine the outrage if Pro-Death Penalty organizations wore little nooses?

#4    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,036 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

this is really nasty to put it mildly. :td:

#5    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,688 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

Idk if I would consider myself pro-choice or pro-life. Im undecided

But I do think the coat hanger is a good point, reminds people that when the process is illegal people still get abortions just in unsafe ways or with quack doctors in a van. So in a way keeping it legal keeps it safe at least.

But should we consider all life sacred regardless of how "developed" they are, isn't it our job to protect all life? Regardless of if people continue to do it.

These are some of  the reasons im undecided anyways

Edit: Just to add that I think its dumb when people try and say its a "womens rights" issue. Men are involved in making kids too plus pro-life people are not pro-life because they want to oppress women that's just dumb.... specially since tons of women are also pro-life

Edited by spartan max2, 21 March 2014 - 07:02 PM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#6    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

View PostWe are lizard people, on 21 March 2014 - 06:27 PM, said:

Could you imagine the outrage if Pro-Death Penalty organizations wore little nooses?

I see people wearing an old torture/execution device all the time.

#7    supervike

supervike

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,214 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

It would be fitting, if the anti-abortion folks made necklaces with little severed arms and legs...

#8    F3SS

F3SS

FoT

• 9,810 posts

• Father of Twins
    3-16-16

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:06 AM

There's better ways to convey a message. This is about the most tasteless thing I have seen in a while.

#9    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,233 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:20 AM

There's no such thing as bad press.  Now I've heard of the DC Abortion Fund too.   :whistle:

Edited by Yamato, 22 March 2014 - 03:21 AM.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#10    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,200 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

During the reign of terror the few silversmiths and jewelers who survived the purges made little Guillotines as eartz crucifixes for the masses.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#11    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,573 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

View PostWe are lizard people, on 21 March 2014 - 06:27 PM, said:

I thought they wore crosses..

#12    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 2,784 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:31 PM

Christians use the crucifix as a symbol of good where it was once a Roman punishment.
The Nazis used the swastika. But Hindus and Buddhist use the symbol to show good fortune,
It all depends on how an individual chooses to look at it.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve.
But to much skepticism can make you narrow minded to extraordinary possibilities.

#13    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:23 AM

Seems in bad taste to me.

Perhaps they need to put a red enamel fetus on the end of the coathanger?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#14    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 7,762 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:34 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 24 March 2014 - 02:23 AM, said:

Perhaps they need to put a red enamel fetus on the end of the coathanger?

I would wear that. But people do call me strange.... :hmm:

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#15    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

The Holy Dopamine Ghost

• 5,369 posts

• Watching the Star Wars The Force Awakens trailers: I get Goosebumps, and I feel waves of emotions. This is proof that "The Force" is real. :D

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:09 AM

Some parts of the world women have no choice at all.

Posted Image
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "Mythical Jesus" Dr. Carrier
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=IybD2xzkhtc <-- "Mythical Moses" Dr. Price (starts@10:20)
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=272571 <-- Science Behind Irrational Beliefs
Inanna the Goddess of love was crucified, then after 3 days/nights was resurrected. An over 3,000 yo Tablet saying this is proof of it's truth. Praise Jesus Serotonin Christ!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users