Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Living paycheck to paycheck

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,213 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

Washington Post said:

When you hear the term "paycheck to paycheck" you probably think of low-income households struggling to make ends meet. That's even the title of a new HBO documentary highlighting the plight of America's working poor. But a new paper released at the Brookings Institution's BPEA conference Friday finds that a sizeable number of wealthy households are living paycheck to paycheck, too.

"The Wealthy Hand-to-Mouth," by economists at Princeton and New York University, finds that roughly one-third of American households -- 38 million of them -- are living a paycheck-to-paycheck existence. These are families who hold little to no liquid wealth from cash, savings or checking accounts. But a staggering two-thirds of these households are not actually poor; while they resemble poor families in their lack of liquid wealth, they own substantial holdings ($50,000, on average) in illiquid assets. Because this money is locked up in things like their houses, cars and retirement accounts, they can't easily dip into it when times get tough.

Demographically speaking, the wealthy hand-to-mouth are older, more educated and have substantially higher incomes than their poor counterparts. Perhaps the most striking difference is that while the poor hand-to-mouth tend to stay that way for long periods of time, wealthy-hand-to-mouth status is transient, lasting an average of only 2½ years.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 5,477 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

But how do you get ahead if you're living paycheck to paycheck? The fact is, no matter how much you earn you could be creating your own barriers to financial success without even knowing it. Here are ten things you might be doing that are preventing you from achieving prosperity. Change your ways and you could find yourself well on the way down the road to riches.

http://finance.yahoo...-050001764.html

RESIDENT TROLL.

#3    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,747 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:56 PM

If you choose to live below your means you'll end up actually able to retire someday (pretty big incentive I'd say).

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#4    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,747 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

Just to add, investing in companies you think may have a future can be a very good idea as well (even with the bear economy). I got in on Apple and Intel way, way, way back...bought myself a house and paid for my kid's college.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#5    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:46 PM

This is actually not a surprise...the more you make, the more you spend.

I know people with much lower incomes than you would think but they are very frugal with what they spend it on...and I know some folks you would think were poor as church mice and they actually make pretty good salaries...but they p!ss it away as fast as they make it.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,213 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

View PostJeremiah65, on 21 March 2014 - 10:46 PM, said:

This is actually not a surprise...the more you make, the more you spend.

I know people with much lower incomes than you would think but they are very frugal with what they spend it on...and I know some folks you would think were poor as church mice and they actually make pretty good salaries...but they p!ss it away as fast as they make it.

That is, in part, responsible for the lack of equilibrium between the middle class and the rich: if you spend all you get nowhere.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#7    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,201 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:17 AM

Heck, I live basically paycheck to paycheck and I'm basically at the 75th percentile on income. I do save for retirement in a 401K, but everything else gets spent. With 2 kids there is always a need for clothes, food, transportation, entertainment, schooling, and other expenses. All that happens when you make more is that the crap you buy is slightly better quality, and slightly healthier for you.

If I lost my job, I'd loose my house pretty quick, and we'd be in a world of hurt. But isn't that true of just about everyone that actually works? Who has a mattress full of cash anymore? Who piles up cash for anything anymore? Very few. Most use credit to get whatever it is immediately and then budgets to pay down on the credit card. Which doesn't always happen, leading to lots of individuals with high debt.

It would be much better if people only bought what they had cash for, but that just isn't going to be happening anymore, at least not by the average consumer.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#8    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:34 AM

i live paycheck to paycheck, but admit i could cut back on a few things and save a bit of money

#9    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,847 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:43 PM

Many things these days are "necessities" that were not before. Cell phone, cable television, high speed Internet, data plans. All these things were luxuries not that long ago but now it seems people can't do without them. Between my wife and I cell phones, data plans etc it can seriously push close to $1,000 a month.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#10    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,707 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

I live paycheque to paycheque.  I don't have internet, I use free wifi, no cable either.  We do have cell phones so I know where my daughter is, but no landline.  Between rent, truck payment, food, car insurance...we have no money for frivolities.  No going to movies, no new clothes, nothing extra and I am always behind in paying my electric bill.  So, moving for a better paying job is uppermost in my future.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#11    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,271 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

I generally don't mind what people do with their money, until they start asking me for money.   Then I get irritated with their idiotic spending.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#12    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:30 AM

Talk about first world problems! "I'm living paycheck to paycheck because I have all this stuff"
It's called living beyond your means no matter how you slice it
it is only a "necessity" if you can't live without it period.
take a class on home economics some communities put them on for free and evidently it isn't just needed for the poor.
shop at thrift stores. my kids wear name brand that my wife bought with the tags still on.
AND for goodness sake teach your kids some money sense because the are not going to learn it in school from a government 17 trillion in debt.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#13    Peter B

Peter B

Psychic Spy

• 1,141 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

As an old family friend said, "It's not the high cost of living, it's the cost of living high."

My parents were professional musicians, and so both earned modest salaries. In the early 1960s they bought a house with a 25 year loan. Dad was the music teacher at a local high school, and got into quite an argument with the economics teacher there. The economics teacher said it was better to delay paying off the loan as long as possible in order to let inflation devalue the loan, but Dad preferred to repay the loan as quickly as he could afford. As a result the loan was paid off in under 15 years, a technique which I understand was rarely used in those days. (Part of the reason was that Dad wanted the loan paid off before he retired.) It meant that we didn't have many luxuries growing up, and a lot of my clothes were hand-me-downs from my older brothers. But in general it meant that my siblings and I grew up comfortable with the idea of delayed gratification - if we wanted something we waited until we could afford it, rather than getting a personal loan or using a credit card.

Something which helped me when I took out my first home loan was simply playing around with the maths of my home loan repayments on a spreadsheet. That way I found out simple things like the total amount of money I'd repay compared to the size of the loan, how repaying even a tiny extra amount early in the loan could cut years off the loan repayment time, and how maintaining repayments even when interest rates drop can also have a big impact in paying the loan off sooner.

I know many people feel uncomfortable when playing around with maths, but this sort of maths knowledge is potentially very valuable.

#14    HollyDolly

HollyDolly

Psychic Spy

• 1,296 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

I got into debt with credit cards but somehow had nothing to show for it.Long story. Doing better .I save money from the part time job and put it away for property taxes. Trying to save money to fix up the house some in small stages. However they only schedule me two days,Sat.and Sunday to work cause sales are supposedly down  so they cut every body's hours.At least the part timers.
I would like to get the internet so maybe i could start some sort of business,.Cell phone only for emergencies like if I ever need to call AAA for the car or call the garage to schedule an oil change or whatever.Cutting eating out cause I'm dieabetic and of course got to feed the pets.
These wealthy people however can  sell assests  that i don't have for more money. No wonder some of these people run around with   a lot of gold jewelry and the like.At least you can sell the gold and always have some sort of source for cash if you need it.
Doesn't help that wages aren't going up but everything else is.

#15    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,097 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:14 PM

View PostHollyDolly, on 25 March 2014 - 02:58 PM, said:

I got into debt with credit cards but somehow had nothing to show for it.Long story. Doing better .I save money from the part time job and put it away for property taxes. Trying to save money to fix up the house some in small stages. However they only schedule me two days,Sat.and Sunday to work cause sales are supposedly down  so they cut every body's hours.At least the part timers.
I would like to get the internet so maybe i could start some sort of business,.Cell phone only for emergencies like if I ever need to call AAA for the car or call the garage to schedule an oil change or whatever.Cutting eating out cause I'm dieabetic and of course got to feed the pets.
These wealthy people however can  sell assests  that i don't have for more money. No wonder some of these people run around with   a lot of gold jewelry and the like.At least you can sell the gold and always have some sort of source for cash if you need it.
Doesn't help that wages aren't going up but everything else is.

Keep chugging away.   Look for another part time job.   Keeping yourself busy working has another positive effect.   You are at work more.   Less options to spend money.  
Do you have an extra room that you can rent out.    That's good income if you can do it.  
I'm also diabetic.   It's tough to eat cheap on a diabetic diet.   It can be done though.   It just takes allot of willpower.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users