Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Why can't some people see ghosts?

• Please log in to reply
507 replies to this topic

#16    Hideout

Hideout

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

• A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
    -Albert Einstein

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:19 AM

Hvashi, on 22 March 2014 - 02:24 AM, said:

I'm not certain that "ghosts" exist per se, but to have never seen anything that has even made you question the mere possibility is strange to me. I have noticed that many "intellectual" types who argue for logic and rationality and science seem to completely look past the fact that many scientific discoveries were once deemed impossible or crazy-talk. If every scientist was close-minded and not even open to the discovery of subatomic particles, black holes etc, then our world would be so bleak. The same goes to spirits or ghosts ... scientists should at least try to figure out just what is being experienced.

Also, I know that many "intellectual, rational" people prefer to ridicule rather than discuss things respectfully, so I'm not surprised at the snarky comments...it doesn't bother me. I'd just prefer a little more substance to the comments. *shrugs*
I'm totally open to the idea that ghosts might exist. If you're willing to put forth some evidence, I'd be happy to look at it. Yes, many scientific discoveries seemed impossible at one point, and then evidence was discovered. Until evidence is put forward for the paranormal there is no reason to believe in it. The entire paranormal field is based on arguments from ignorance. You can put quotes around the terms rational and intellectual all you want, it doesn't make your argument any more valid.

AliveInDeath7, on 22 March 2014 - 02:42 AM, said:

To all you lovely members I've known for awhile now, they do exist.
Care to provide evidence?

I don't know why some don't have paranormal experiences, or if they acknowledge them as perceptions gone wack.

From all of the extensive research I have on the subject, polls have stated that at least 70% claim to believe in the paranormal. But, that's not the same as seeing a demon face to face.
It wouldn't surprise me, but just because a large group of people believe in something doesn't make it true.

To those who do not know mathematics it is difficult to get across a real feeling as to the beauty, the deepest beauty, of nature ... If you want to learn about nature, to appreciate nature, it is necessary to understand the language that she speaks in.
--Richard Feynman

#17    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,172 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:38 AM

If ghosts do exist I would say most never see them due to lack of opportunity.

Me personally, the closest I've ever come to *seeing* something would be back when I was a teenager.  I kept seeing what looked like my arm/leg walking around corners for a few weeks, and when I would investigate the room it would be empty.  I just shrugged it off as something I couldn't really do anything about and life went on.

Then towards the end of the few weeks this was going on, I was in the kitchen looking through the fridge when I heard my friend walk into my room talking to me.  A few moments later he found me in the kitchen and asked how I got there since he saw me walk into my room.

I have no idea what was going on, but a few days later I stopped seeing these things and that was that.

#18    sea-dove

sea-dove

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:39 AM

Hideout, on 22 March 2014 - 03:19 AM, said:

It wouldn't surprise me, but just because a large group of people believe in something doesn't make it true.

So true.  Everyone used to believe the world was flat, which is a good example of people just believing something just due to others they respected believing it.

Hence I personally think its better if people keep an open mind and let their own experiences guide a lot too and use whatever logic there is to analyse ones own experiences. One can learn a lot from that esp when it comes to fields in which there are quite opposing views out there.

#19    Thorvir Hrothgaard

Thorvir Hrothgaard

Berserker

• 2,782 posts

• WE WILL RIDE THROUGH THE GATES OF VALHALLA SHINY AND CHROME! WITNESS ME!

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:58 AM

I'm not certain that "ghosts" exist per se, but to have never seen anything that has even made you question the mere possibility is strange to me.

The things I have seen that, and I'm sure others will agree, have made me question the mere possibility that you mention. However, I was able to rationalize what I saw...then I moved on.

I have noticed that many "intellectual" types who argue for logic and rationality and science seem to completely look past the fact that many scientific discoveries were once deemed impossible or crazy-talk. If every scientist was close-minded and not even open to the discovery of subatomic particles, black holes etc, then our world would be so bleak. The same goes to spirits or ghosts ... scientists should at least try to figure out just what is being experienced.

Why would you put intellectual in quotations?  Are you trying to insult those that logically approach these sightings?  Do you hold yourself superior to them because you don't approach these sightings with a bit of rationality?

Also, I know that many "intellectual, rational" people prefer to ridicule rather than discuss things respectfully, so I'm not surprised at the snarky comments...it doesn't bother me. I'd just prefer a little more substance to the comments. *shrugs*

Seems to me that the snarky side of this is when someone's claim is approached rationally, and logical solutions are offered, only to be angrily spurned by the person in question--usually because the explanations refute their own wild conclusions.  Though at times, the logical side can be snarky, and that has to do with running out of patience with the illogical side.

LIberal Guilt is quite the money-maker these days...

#20    -Desiderata-

-Desiderata-

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 157 posts

• Chance favours the prepared minds.

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:30 AM

Great point made by Euphorbia..  "What exactly is a ghost? Who gets to decide the definition?"  No one gets to decide the definition, it has to come direct from so-called spirits themselves.. surely?

Edited by -Desiderata-, 22 March 2014 - 04:35 AM.

#21    spacelizard667

spacelizard667

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• What is the more fun, inviting a wolf to dinner or having a tiger by it's tail ?

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:20 AM

For whatever reasons just seeing anything at all that isn't clearly visible to others is considered very wrong by society's opinions, there are very concrete social standards about what is real and very definately, definately about what isn't. I don't know if this is the universal experience but anybody who says stuff like that is sent to see a psychiatrist.... right away.  Ouch...testing was rather expensive.

Edited by spacelizard667, 22 March 2014 - 05:22 AM.

#22    Misanthropic

Misanthropic

MisterSuperGod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:21 AM

Maybe it's like a TV, you might get that channel and you might not.

i could have came up with a better analogy but you get the idea.

---> Insert quote from some famous dead person here. <---

#23    spacelizard667

spacelizard667

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• What is the more fun, inviting a wolf to dinner or having a tiger by it's tail ?

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:26 AM

Yes exactly. Very much like seeing ghosts on a television set, but without turning the television on.

#24    MissJatti

MissJatti

Psychic Spy

• 1,497 posts

• There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:04 AM

I believe ghosts, I had a few experiences, but your topic title is wrong, its not why cant SOME people see ghosts it is why cant MOST people see ghosts

Posted Image

#25    Arbenol

Arbenol

Psychic Spy

• 2,058 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:07 AM

I have noticed that many "intellectual" types who argue for logic and rationality and science seem to completely look past the fact that many scientific discoveries were once deemed impossible or crazy-talk. If every scientist was close-minded and not even open to the discovery of subatomic particles, black holes etc, then our world would be so bleak. The same goes to spirits or ghosts ... scientists should at least try to figure out just what is being experienced.

The problem with this way of thinking is that whilst the odd "impossible or crazy-talk" theory turns out to be true, most of them remain impossible and crazy-talk.

#26    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,952 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

I don't think ghosts are real because so many other explanations are available that are simpler, also how would a disembodied entity make its presence known?

I do however sometimes conjure them up in my dreams and have conversions, both with people dead and still alive.  I learn things you wouldn't believe (and generally I don't).

#27    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,684 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

I don't know why some don't have paranormal experiences, or if they acknowledge them as perceptions gone wack.

From all of the extensive research I have on the subject, polls have stated that at least 70% claim to believe in the paranormal. But, that's not the same as seeing a demon face to face.

Polls don't count as credible scientific evidence,please feel free to show us the accredited scientific evidence to back up your claim that they exist.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#28    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 4,267 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

Hvashi, on 22 March 2014 - 01:19 AM, said:

Why do you think some people are apparently unable to see spirits or ghosts?

The question should be why do some ppl believe that ghosts/spirits exists and why do these ppl claim to be
able to see something that doesn`t exists.

Edited by toast, 22 March 2014 - 11:56 AM.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#29    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

Hvashi, on 22 March 2014 - 01:19 AM, said:

I have always wondered about people who've never seen nor experienced anything paranormal. They adamantly deny the existence of ghosts with the same response, "well, I've never seen one, so they must not exist". I look at them in incredulity because my own experience is the exact opposite. I know that each individual has a subjective viewpoint, but I cannot fathom how somehow has never seen anything even remotely curious or peculiar to make them question.

Why do you think some people are apparently unable to see spirits or ghosts?

Actually, I say they don't exist not because I have never seen one, but because there is zero evidence that they exist.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#30    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,026 posts

• My youtube channel, Has horror stories and skits.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCreepyCorridor

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:38 PM

Ghosts are main stream when movies, shows and books effected the western world. People don't have perfect memory and when some weird happens they jump to conclusions.  how many people come here assuming their photos are ghost when it is dust, thei breath, disabling flash, messed up the settings, blurred, poor quality pixels that is matrixing?

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route and find out what really happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users