Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Fred Phelps won't have funeral

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,757 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:43 PM

UPI said:

March. 21 (UPI) -- No funeral will be held for Fred Phelps, Sr., the founder of the Westboro Baptist Church, who died shortly before midnight late Wednesday.

The 84-year-old former leader of the controversial church, who was excommunicated in August 2013, died at a hospice in Topeka, Kan., shortly after his estranged son Nathan Phelps announced his father was "on the edge of death".

While the family offered no explanation for why there would be no funeral, his former church, known for its anti-gay protests at military funerals, tweeted out a statement giving "thanks [to] God for Fred Phelps Sr.'s passing."

Read more: http://www.upi.com/T.../#ixzz2wj615Ldk

I guess the explanation is that they are scared pooless that some picketers would play a little tit-for-tat.

Edited by questionmark, 22 March 2014 - 08:59 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,844 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

It would be biker heaven.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#3    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,784 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:00 PM

What do you expect from a bunch bigoted piece-of-**** cowards?

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#4    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:06 PM

View PostDecoNoir, on 22 March 2014 - 09:00 PM, said:

What do you expect from a bunch bigoted piece-of-**** cowards?

Welcome to the circle of hate.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#5    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,844 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

They protested military funerals. They said those children in Connecticut died because of their parent's sins. No one is going to miss him. Just how it is.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#6    Ryinrea

Ryinrea

Princess of Yang

• 2,602 posts

• "Clark, you can't save the world. All you'll end up with is a messiah complex and a lot of enemies." -Lex Luthor Smallville

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:57 PM

View Postsusieice, on 22 March 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

They protested military funerals. They said those children in Connecticut died because of their parent's sins. No one is going to miss him. Just how it is.

The Amish children that the man killed while they're in school, they were going to protest their funerals. Thankfully a fox affiliate, offered them time on his show as a deal in return that they give the parents time too morn. They did the interview on the day of funerals so they couldn't attend the protest. That was the only time you ever see me thankful of Fox News. The evil sob is dead, I just wish they would have the courage too put on a funeral that way we could show them that were better than they are by having signs of love. Like god love everyone, he doesn't hate as we picket his funeral. Even men of hate are beloved by god is another one we should do.

“In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.” - Thomas Jefferson

#7    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 7,762 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:39 AM

View Post_Only, on 22 March 2014 - 09:06 PM, said:

Welcome to the circle of hate.

Welcome to the real f#$%';\ world.

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#8    coolguy

coolguy

Poltergeist

• 2,394 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:54 AM

The earth just rid of one more pile of crap.i wonder if he likes hell

Edited by coolguy, 23 March 2014 - 04:54 AM.

#9    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 23 March 2014 - 04:39 AM, said:

Welcome to the real f#$%';\ world.

I love you.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#10    dr no

dr no

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

• Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
    Carl Sagan

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

I hope he has a grave so I could perhaps spit or dance on it, if I'm ever in the area

#11    veledran

veledran

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

I imagine that his grave will be wonderful to visit in the winter. It should stay very warm.

#12    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:14 PM

Me thinks you people are to moved to hate to quickly.

“Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering.” The Phantom Menace

Edited by White Crane Feather, 23 March 2014 - 07:15 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#13    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:18 PM

View PostWhite Crane Feather, on 23 March 2014 - 07:14 PM, said:

"Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering." The Phantom Menace

It also lead to the eventual balancing of the force.

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#14    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,757 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

View PostWhite Crane Feather, on 23 March 2014 - 07:14 PM, said:

Me thinks you people are to moved to hate to quickly.

"Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering." The Phantom Menace

Not quite, it is just a question of who sows wind will harvest storms. The funeral picketing was invented by Phelps, not by us.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#15    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,796 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:33 PM

Phelps's son sends out a message of hope at the time of his fathers death;

Fred Phelps is now the past. The present and the future are for the living. Unfortunately, Fred’s ideas have not died with him, but live on, not just among the members of Westboro Baptist Church, but among the many communities and small minds that refuse to recognize the equality and humanity of our brothers and sisters on this small planet we share. I will mourn his passing, not for the man he was, but for the man he could have been. I deeply mourn the grief and pain felt by my family members denied their right to visit him in his final days. They deserved the right to finally have closure to decades of rejection, and that was stolen from them.
Even more, I mourn the ongoing injustices against the LGBT community, the unfortunate target of his 23 year campaign of hate. His life impacted many outside the walls of the WBC compound, uniting us across all spectrums of orientation and belief as we realized our strength lies in our commonalities, and not our differences. How many times have communities risen up together in a united wall against the harassment of my family? Differences have been set aside for that cause, tremendous and loving joint efforts mobilized within hours… and because of that, I ask this of everyone — let his death mean something. Let every mention of his name and of his church be a constant reminder of the tremendous good we are all capable of doing in our communities.
The lessons of my father were not unique to him, nor will this be the last we hear of his words, which are echoed from pulpits as close as other churches in Topeka, Kansas, where WBC headquarters remain, and as far away as Uganda. Let’s end the support of hateful and divisive teachings describing the LGBT community as “less than”, “sinful”, or “abnormal.” Embrace the LGBT community as our equals, our true brothers and sisters, by promoting equal rights for everyone, without exception. My father was a man of action, and I implore us all to embrace that small portion of his faulty legacy by doing the same.

The message is - bigotry doesn't have to win.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users