Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Police warn about roadkill dangers

roadkill animal carcasses roadside badger balti dr austin hunt

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,045 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

Police have issued a public health warning yesterday (Mon) after a respected surgeon revealed that he is feeding his family on roadkill.

Dr Austin Hunt says he has turned animal carcasses found on the roadside into tasty, nutritious dishes including tenderloin of wild venison and badger balti.

http://www.telegraph...dger-balti.html

Posted Image

#2    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,155 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

Where I live, the consumption of roadkill is legal, but I think it should be certfied by a vet as "safe"

As far as cooking, low temps for many hours will not kill the little nasties that might be there. I think it has to be 140-160 for 10-minutes or even much longer. Not sure. I don't eat roadkill.

#3    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Spectating

• 4,729 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

I would have thought the biggest danger was having a Deer go through your windscreen while trying to source a cheap dinner...

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#4    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,102 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

That's pretty dangerous.  I've seen people take game that was freshly killed by a car (usually they were driving it), but I'd never consider consuming something that I simply came across on the side of the road.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#5    g00dfella

g00dfella

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

When an animal is prepared for consumption, it is first gutted so that all the stomach and intestinal fluids do not leak all over the meat, thus ruining it. With roadkill I would expect the meat to be tainted.

#6    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,268 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

I hit a deer one time.  Some guys stopped and help me put down the poor deer.  My car was wrecked just as I was about to sell it.  They took the deer and later brought me some nice steaks from it.  I saw nothing wrong with that.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#7    Gatofeo

Gatofeo

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

• "An ugly cat. Vast desert. Smoke and fire. Flying lead makes holes in parchment. The ugly cat is much amused." --- Gatodamus (1503-1566)

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:53 AM

I knew a man years ago, who worked for the Salvation Army. He told the highway patrol that if they had a freshly hit deer, let him know and he'd retrieve it in his pickup.
Meanwhile, he made arrangements for after-hours contact with a local butcher.
The butcher would cut and wrap it, and label it VENISON.
A lot of families got frozen venison from the Salvation Army, until the damnable lawyers got into it. He had to stop picking up roadkill deer and elk.
Such a waste of meat.
He couldn't even bring it home for his own consumption.
Nothing wrong with fresh road kill, if the bruised meat is cut away and it's rinsed clean. If it can safely fill some bellies, where's the harm?
But road kill that has been exposed to hot sun, forget it. Drag it 100 yards off the road for the coyotes, ravens, magpies and bald eagles. They have to eat too, you know.

My god! How that ghost makes me dread
My attempts to sleep at night, in my bed
All that moaning and groaning
Keep me awake until morning
Oh wait --- it's that couple next door, newly wed!

--- Copyright 2006 by Gatofeo

I support Rehabilitation through Reincarnation!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users