Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Sailors quit Navy over social issues

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 12,671 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

Hmmm...I wonder how true this is?

From the article:

A Navy F-18 fighter pilot and former Top Gun instructor is publicly warning admirals that retention is beginning to suffer from the military’s relentless social conditioning programs.
Cmdr. Guy Snodgrass, until recently a Pentagon speech writer for the chief of naval operations, Adm. Jonathan Greenert, said sailors are becoming fed-up with the constant emphasis on social issues — an apparent reference to gays in the military, women in combat and ending sexual harassment.

“Sailors continue to cite the over-focus on social issues by senior leadership, above and beyond discussions on war fighting — a fact that demoralizes junior and mid-grade officers alike,” Cmdr. Snodgrass wrote this month on the U.S. Naval Institute website, an independent forum for active and retired sailors and Marines.

Read the rest here

Posted Image

Edited by OverSword, 26 March 2014 - 07:57 PM.

#2    Agent0range

Agent0range

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

Eh..can't say I disagree.  If anything can make you want to kill yourself, it is a 5 hour suicide awareness class...I don't the the homosexual push and women in combat is a factor though.

Edited by Agent0range, 26 March 2014 - 08:05 PM.

#3    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,454 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

I can understand the annoyance but I dout anyone would quit over it.

I can understand the annoyance just because im in college and every class they somehow tie back into a speech about gay black or women equality.

Not that im against any of these things but i swear that my entire English course was about homosexuality. Gets annoying

And my entire sociology course was about how we are all apparently racist horrible people and women get sooo insanely mistreated in our society. Im not saying we don't have some issues but dam not in the degree that professor thought

Edited by spartan max2, 26 March 2014 - 08:14 PM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#4    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsafe at Any Speed

• 24,133 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

Ah, the regular story about how Political Correctness is ruining _____ (insert name here of ancient and venerable institution that Political Correctness is ruining.)

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#5    Agent0range

Agent0range

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

Sounds like you need to find a new college.  I don't get any of that from my classes.

#6    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,609 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 26 March 2014 - 08:12 PM, said:

I can understand the annoyance but I dout anyone would quit over it.

I can understand the annoyance just because im in college and every class they somehow tie back into a speech about gay black or women equality.

Not that im against any of these things but i swear that my entire English course was about homosexuality. Gets annoying

And my entire sociology course was about how we are all apparently racist horrible people and women get sooo insanely mistreated in our society. Im not saying we don't have some issues but dam not in the degree that professor thought

I had a child development class where the teacher talked constantly about how blacks are abused by "the white man's system". Aids was developed by the white man to cull the black population and so forth. After three weeks I went to the dean and transferred to another class.

#7    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,454 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:36 PM

View PostAgent0range, on 26 March 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:

Sounds like you need to find a new college.  I don't get any of that from my classes.

Ohio State University lol :tsu: . I have more stories but Idk could of just been luck of the draw, some of my other teachers have been normal.

View PostMichelle, on 26 March 2014 - 08:24 PM, said:

I had a child development class where the teacher talked constantly about how blacks are abused by "the white man's system". Aids was developed by the white man to cull the black population and so forth. After three weeks I went to the dean and transferred to another class.

lol ffs teachers these days

Edited by spartan max2, 26 March 2014 - 08:38 PM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#8    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,609 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 26 March 2014 - 08:36 PM, said:

lol ffs teachers these days

Pffft! These days? That was over twenty years ago.

#9    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,454 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:46 PM

View PostMichelle, on 26 March 2014 - 08:41 PM, said:

Pffft! These days? That was over twenty years ago.

hahaha , my bad assumed you where younger :innocent: lol

Criss Jami

#10    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,609 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:48 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 26 March 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

hahaha , my bad assumed you where younger :innocent: lol

That's never a bad thing... :-* lol

#11    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,412 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:07 PM

Wait till an openly gay pilot grabs a hold of that topgun joystick!  The F-18 Hornette will maneuver like no other.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#12    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,948 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:18 PM

Yes let's ignore it all because homosexuals and women don't matter. We are just non-entities.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#13    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,401 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

View PostYamato, on 26 March 2014 - 09:07 PM, said:

Wait till an openly gay pilot grabs a hold of that topgun joystick!  The F-18 Hornette will maneuver like no other.

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything reading that.

By the way, does anybody else have a certain "Village People" song playing in there head right about now?

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#14    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,401 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 26 March 2014 - 09:18 PM, said:

Yes let's ignore it all because homosexuals and women don't matter. We are just non-entities.

In all fairness, its the United States Navy. What do you think a Navy should be doing? Focusing on being an effective fighting force, or social injustice?

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#15    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,609 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:39 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 26 March 2014 - 09:18 PM, said:

No, but if you emphasize anything too much people tend to start tuning you out or rebelling. The ones that don't care still won't and the ones that do will even start to back away from the subject.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users