Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Looking for Clues to Water's Origins

exoplanets planetary formation super-earths comets water life

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,215 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:10 PM

Astronomers Looking for Clues to Water's Origins

www.astrobio.net said:

A gas and dust cloud collapses to form a star. Amid a whirling disc of debris, little bits of rock coated with liquid water and ice begin to stick together. It is this stage of a star's formation that astronomers hope to learn more about how water cycles through a solar system, although this is also when some of the least evidence is available to study.

If water is created prior to stellar birth, then all planetary systems will be born with abundant water, giving rise to what could be life-friendly conditions throughout the universe. However, if this water is sometimes destroyed as the disc is formed, then water would not be as common in the cosmos.              

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 7,762 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:06 AM

I just saw the thread title and though, when two hydrogen atoms love an oxygen atom very, very much...

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#3    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

Eventually waterbubble planets will be discovered.

" Where does yesterday go to? Where does tomorrow come from? Is not the universe the proginetor of space and time? "
                                                                        **Time-machine Universe**
                                                            http://www.unexplain...howtopic=286269

#4    taniwha

taniwha

• 1,910 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

And maybe water powered suns.... Hydros?

" Where does yesterday go to? Where does tomorrow come from? Is not the universe the proginetor of space and time? "

#5    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,215 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:50 PM

View Posttaniwha, on 28 March 2014 - 08:35 PM, said:

View Posttaniwha, on 28 March 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

And maybe water powered suns.... Hydros?
What are you talking about? This is nonsense.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#6    taniwha

taniwha

• 1,910 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 28 March 2014 - 09:50 PM, said:

What are you talking about? This is nonsense.

Really?  The Earth is filled with water.  Three states of it exist in abundance right under your feet and in the air you breathe.  It is electrically charging through your veins. Who said there is no such thing as hydo power?  Im not sure what you mean by nonsense because the universe seems to be changing in perspective on a day by day basis.  Is it not ok to suppose or theorise?  Are bubble universes non sense too?  And your thoughts on asteroids existing with rings?  It seems to me that non sense is being unveiled on a regular basis.

#7    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Psychic Spy

• 1,904 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

View Posttaniwha, on 28 March 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

Really?  The Earth is filled with water.  Three states of it exist in abundance right under your feet and in the air you breathe.  It is electrically charging through your veins. Who said there is no such thing as hydo power?  Im not sure what you mean by nonsense because the universe seems to be changing in perspective on a day by day basis.  Is it not ok to suppose or theorise?  Are bubble universes non sense too?  And your thoughts on asteroids existing with rings?  It seems to me that non sense is being unveiled on a regular basis.
It is ok to theorize, but if you can't propose a plausible mechanism your theories will be ridiculed - and justifiably so.

You could form a star consisting of 66.6% H and 33.3% O atoms. I don't know how this would naturally occur, but if you stuck enough atoms together eventually some form of fusion would occur and the star would ignite.

This star would not qualify as being ``made of water'' though. The temperature is much to high for molecular bonds to exist.

Water is not just 2 H + 1 O. Water is a specific molecular structure.

#8    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,400 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:21 PM

View Posttaniwha, on 28 March 2014 - 08:35 PM, said:

Water cannot exist as a liquid in vacuum, so the likelihood of water being able to condense into a 'water bubble planet' is nil. Some planets may be found which have a greater percentage of water by mass than Earth, but that will not make them "water bubble planets."

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#9    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 5,097 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

View Posttaniwha, on 28 March 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

Is it not ok to suppose or theorise?

There is a huge difference between a scientific theory and a "hey! I want this to be true!" brainfart - a difference you don't seem to be able to grasp.

Science isn’t about truth and falsity, it’s about reducing uncertainty ~ Brian Nosek

#10    taniwha

taniwha

• 1,910 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

View PostEmma_Acid, on 18 June 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

There is a huge difference between a scientific theory and a "hey! I want this to be true!" brainfart - a difference you don't seem to be able to grasp.

You might find this interesting...

New Type of Alien Planet Is a Steamy 'Waterworld'

GJ 1214b thus appears to have much more water than Earth does, and much less rock. The alien planet's interior structure is likely quite different from that of our world.
http://www.space.com...ld-gj1214b.html

Needless to add if everything is known about everything there is to know then we might as well all pack up and go home.

#11    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 21,226 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:36 PM

Don't use that as an excuse to not bother learning about what we do know.

#12    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 5,097 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

View Posttaniwha, on 18 June 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

Needless to add if everything is known about everything there is to know then we might as well all pack up and go home.

View PostEmma_Acid, on 18 June 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

Science isn’t about truth and falsity, it’s about reducing uncertainty ~ Brian Nosek

#13    taniwha

taniwha

• 1,910 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

View PostEmma_Acid, on 20 June 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

"hey! I want this to be true!"

But where do I say that!  lol.  In any case you are only putting words in my mouth which shows bad form on your part. It is ok to suppose or theorize, only the truth exists in reality.  The reason science asks questions is because not all the answers are known.  

A scientific truth comes in three states like water.  They can be either solid, on which other truths are founded, or liquid where the truth might change over time, or a gas where the truth is simply unknown, which in itself is a truth.

So how about doing some constructive thinking rather than looking at what I write and telling yourself, "hey! I want this to be false!"

#14    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,215 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:25 PM

View Posttaniwha, on 20 June 2014 - 08:53 PM, said:

It is ok to suppose or theorize, only the truth exists in reality.
Theorising is fine, but it must be based on an understanding of the subject that is being theorised about. That is how science progresses.

You have no such understanding.

In topic after topic you make wild guesses from a position of ignorance, lacking even the knowledge to recognises how utterly wrong your posts are. That is the exact opposite of how science progresses.

Science knows that it doesn’t know everything; otherwise, it’d stop. But just because science doesn’t know everything doesn’t mean you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairy tale most appeals to you.
- Comedian, mathematician and physicst Dara O Briain

You would do well to read that quote, understand it and act on that understanding. Sadly experience suggests that you will only achieve the first of these three suggestions.

Rather than producing the intelligent conversation on subjects you seem to believe you are generating the reality is that you actually prevent it occurring. Topic after topic becomes derailed from it's original subject and perverted into yet another thread dedicated to debunking your ill-informed and frequently ludicrous ideas.

It need not be like this. There are many people on this site that have a REAL understanding of science. Instead of guessing and then arguing with those that know more than you, you could ASK questions. You could read the replies. You could learn. Then, one day, your ideas might be intelligent theorising instead of clueless wild guesses.

The choice is yours taniwha, no one can make you learn, but you need to choose to learn.

Posted Image
Click on button

#15    willowdreams

willowdreams

Psychic Spy

• 1,006 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:50 PM

I heard (but I could have heard wrongly) from some tv show, that water is more abundant in space then the average man thinks. This is probably true, but what I wonder is if it is water like we have water.. safe for human consumption.

The universe seems to always hold surprising finds for us. I often wonder what it would be like to be able to easily have space travel, and I and my family would be traveling along and find us a small planet made up of diamond.. (Since we now know the exist)...

sometimes i feel like our life span is to short. If i am only in my 50's now and we are learning so much.. what new stuff is going to be found 100 yrs from now>?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users