Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Idea about Punt civilisation

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    Chaldera

Chaldera

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 105 posts

• "Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make its own judgements"

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

Hi everyone. Just a little idea I had about the Punt civilisation...

http://www.en.wikipe...ki/Land_of_Punt

Judging by the fact that the only evidence we have of their existence is through Egyptian artifacts and a potential identification as the land of Put in the  Bible, is it possible that they were merely made up by the Egyptians as a sort of story to show off Egypt's success or as some sort of mythical civilisation which was later incorporated into the Bible by its writers as either some sort of allegory or else as a false belief?

I'll admit, I'm by no means an expert, and expect to be proven wrong. I just wish to learn more

#2    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,936 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

View PostChaldera, on 29 March 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

Judging by the fact that the only evidence we have of their existence is through Egyptian artifacts and a potential identification as the land of Put in the  Bible, is it possible that they were merely made up by the Egyptians as a sort of story to show off Egypt's success or as some sort of mythical civilisation which was later incorporated into the Bible by its writers as either some sort of allegory or else as a false belief?

I'll admit, I'm by no means an expert, and expect to be proven wrong. I just wish to learn more

That's not entirely true since amongst items that were brought back from the Land of Punt by the Egyptians were baboons, which have been traced genetically as having originated in the area of Eritrea and Ethiopia. This means that there is more to the identification of the Land of Punt than mere allegory or false belief.

Baboon mummy analysis reveals Eritrea and Ethiopia as location of Land of Punt

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#3    blackdogsun

blackdogsun

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:59 AM

it sounds a little too circumstantial to definitively locate Punt.
ancient Rome for instance had all kinds of wildlife brought in from Africa. so i would not assume that Punt is necessarily located where they sourced their baboons.

#4    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

BigFoot Whisperer

• 3,311 posts

• One of the beginnings of human emancipation is knowing when authority needs to be corrected | Hitchens, adapted

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:16 PM

Very interesting link, cormac. D'anka

"I'm not trying to say your wrong, I'm just saying I disagree with you" ~ Jeremy ~

#5    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,936 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:53 PM

View PostEarl.Of.Trumps, on 30 March 2014 - 11:16 PM, said:

Very interesting link, cormac. D'anka

You're welcome.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#6    Chaldera

Chaldera

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 105 posts

• "Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make its own judgements"

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

Thank you for replying aha. I admire your resourcefulness in finding that article, although I do wonder what drove the Egyptians to import these baboons

#7    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

Punt = Atlantis. Heck, why not? :P

#8    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 10,588 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:04 PM

View PostPersonFromPorlock, on 01 April 2014 - 04:54 PM, said:

Punt = Atlantis. Heck, why not? :P
No, Punt = offensive failure.

Stargate = Atlantis.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Anybody like Coleridge?

#9    toyomotor

toyomotor

Grumpy Old Coot

• 1,594 posts

• Etiam capillus unus habet umbram.

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

View PostChaldera, on 29 March 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

Puntland is still shown on maps of Africa. It's in the actual Horn of Africa.

So I don't think it was an Egyptian invention.

There is absolutely no proof at all that human beings actually communicate.

#10    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,769 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

View Posttoyomotor, on 05 July 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:

Puntland is still shown on maps of Africa. It's in the actual Horn of Africa.

So I don't think it was an Egyptian invention.

The name "Puntland"originated in the 1990s only because The Autonomous Puntland State of Somalia came to existence only then.
Naturally, they have named the state after the land of punt, which archaeologists/ historians etc beleive is located some place along the east coast of africa, the most probable being the somalian coast.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#11    magikgoddess

magikgoddess

Psychic Spy

• 1,984 posts

• "To be upset over what you don't have is to waste what you do have." -Ken S. Keyes, Jr.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:25 AM

Punt is likely just ancient Egyptian shorthand/slang for another major trading center that they frequented... but apparently it was mainly just a verbal Egyptian thing only... too bad we can't figure out what everyone else around them called that particular trade center...

"Exercise is a dirty word.  Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate" -Charles M. Schultz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users