Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Floating wind turbines could power the future

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:00 AM

A remarkable new type of wind turbine that floats in the sky could soon become a common sight worldwide.

With an appearance that bears more than a passing resemblance to a UFO, the "Buoyant Airborne Turbine" by Altaeros Energies has the potential to revolutionize energy generation in a wide variety of circumstances.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ower-the-future

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Rolci

Rolci

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

perfect in emergencies, hardly a long-term solution as a permanent instalment, unless fit to be retractable. Imagine the havoc during a heavy storm or hurricane, spinning blades flying all over the place.

#3    Scrunchkruckets

Scrunchkruckets

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

• Itch my Scratch

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

Well, we will see what happens......    ?

#4    MissJatti

MissJatti

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

• There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

i swear i seen these floating wind turbines in one of the old sonic the hedgehog game on mega drive in late 80's (possibly dr robotnik level)

Posted Image

#5    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,829 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

View PostRolci, on 30 March 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

perfect in emergencies, hardly a long-term solution as a permanent instalment, unless fit to be retractable. Imagine the havoc during a heavy storm or hurricane, spinning blades flying all over the place.
I think they would move them out of the way something like that approaching, kinda like all the yachts disappear from harbors where typhoons are on the way.  As such it might be superior -- you can't move wind farms or nuclear plants.

#6    SkinnyPete

SkinnyPete

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

its all good until 1 malfunctions and lands on someones head

#7    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,829 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

View PostSkinnyPete, on 30 March 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

its all good until 1 malfunctions and lands on someones head
Airplanes do that from time to time; keep them mainly over unpopulated places.

#8    Goodnite

Goodnite

Outsider looking in.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

• Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement.

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

I say give them a try and let's see them produce.

The King of the Beasts

#9    highdesert50

highdesert50

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

Somewhat similar Tethered Aerostat Radar Systems (TARS) have been in operation along the US border since the 1980s. They are pulled to ground during high winds and operate at much higher altitudes than the proposed generator.

#10    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• 4,556 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:22 PM

Why aren't we using scalar energies to power our households?
Why do we have to restrict people to needing utility companies, when every household could have their own small, pollution-free power-plants?

We already have the technology to get this done.

I may well get why, but I certainly DON'T agree with the governments' and corporations' praise of an atrocious  money god. Why are they holding the people of this world back from living a better and well-powered life without the presence of pollution and health-challenging effects of electrosmog?

Every household should be able to access free unlimited energy to use for personal energy needs.

Edited by regeneratia, 30 March 2014 - 06:29 PM.

#11    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,789 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:09 PM

View Postregeneratia, on 30 March 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

Why aren't we using scalar energies to power our households?
Why do we have to restrict people to needing utility companies, when every household could have their own small, pollution-free power-plants?

I may well get why, but I certainly DON'T agree with the governments' and corporations' praise of an atrocious  money god. Why are they holding the people of this world back from living a better and well-powered life without the presence of pollution and health-challenging effects of electrosmog?

Every household should be able to access free unlimited energy to use for personal energy needs.

Could you possibly explain to me what scalar energy is?

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#12    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• 4,556 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:19 AM

View Postbadeskov, on 30 March 2014 - 11:09 PM, said:

Cheers,
Badeskov

Again, while you asked so sweetly (sincerely said), I think the "search" for it allows you to choose what sources you come across regarding scalar energy, and you are more likely to read about it if you locate it yourself and pick your web sources. But I adore that this question is in your mind. You rock! Oh please, continue to be curious about scalar energy. Knowledge is power, ... literally, regarding this issue.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#13    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,420 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:06 AM

I did a lot of research on Wind Turbines when I was getting my BSME like 15 years ago, so I'm not up on the current technology, but a lot of the logic is clear to me.

I see a number of problems...

1) Helium - It is running out.

2) The technology has to be scalible upward. The one in the video looks to have about a 10 foot span, which puts it into the 10kW range probably. Double that if their high altitude data is true. To replace a single 2.5 MW giant wind turbine, like we have in Oregon, and which are all over the US now, would take 120 of these little guys.

3) 2000 foot long cable. Given winds change that means you have a 4000 foot range where you can't install another of these guys, or they might crash together, or interfere with each other's cables. I certainly wouldn't put them closer then the length of the cable being used. This also would present a huge no-fly zone within the floating wind farm. The giant wind turbines used today have a span of 100 meters approximately and can be spaced every 500 meters or so. They take a lot less surface space.

4) I wonder what the line loss of electricity over that 2000 feet of cable will be?

So, these will be fine for emergency work, or like for powering a remote home, or small facility. An average US home uses about 11,000 kWh per year, so that would be about 1 kW needed per hour. So this floating wind turbine, depending on its size, could power up to 20 homes. Or about 100 people. So a small remote town of like 10,000 would need 100 of these... spaced 2000 feet apart. Or about 11 square miles of surface area. Not un-doable, but not easily done either.

Looks totally impracticle on the macro scale to me.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#14    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,420 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:10 AM

View Postbadeskov, on 30 March 2014 - 11:09 PM, said:

Cheers,
Badeskov

It is basically zero-point energy collection. From what I've just read, it is mathmatically shown to be possible, but has never had proof of theory done, and no natural occurance have ever been reported.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#15    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,420 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:13 AM

View Postregeneratia, on 30 March 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

No site that I could find that was not totally out in la-la land claims that such technology exists. The people claiming such technology exists also claim that we've conquored time travel, world wide mass mind control, super weapons much more powerful then a 100 megaton nuke, and most also claim we (The USA) are working directly with the aliens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users