Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

opinions on fictional realism

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1    ask21771

ask21771

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

<h5>Fictional realism.</h5>
This is the most fascinating branch of multiverse theory. Superman is real. Yes, some of you would probably choose a different story, for argument’s sake, Harry Potter might be real too. This branch of the theory argues that given an infinite number of universes, everything must exist somewhere. So, all of our favorite fiction and fantasy may be descriptive of an alternate universe, one where all the right pieces came in to place to make it happen

I've be;leived in this all my life and now I want to know what others think

#2    ThesillyfunnyguyIDK

ThesillyfunnyguyIDK

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

• There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

there are some books out there that are so elaborate, people cannot tell what is real what is not, its mostly fantasy in genre, not only book but movies even video games..
but you can totally express this in your fantasy dreams, which in my experience do not want to end

there may be some ups and downs but for me fantasy world is a happier world..
the fictional is based on realism

Posted Image

#3    ask21771

ask21771

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:01 PM

View PostSkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart, on 30 March 2014 - 05:58 PM, said:

there are some books out there that are so elaborate, people cannot tell what is real what is not, its mostly fantasy in genre, not only book but movies even video games..
but you can totally express this in your fantasy dreams, which in my experience do not want to end

there may be some ups and downs but for me fantasy world is a happier world..
the fictional is based on realism

So do you believe that the theory could be true

#4    Nighthawk9653

Nighthawk9653

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

• Remember what peace there may be in Silence.

Transit umbra, lux permanet

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:05 PM

Hmm.. Interesting. I like that theory.
I've heard a lot over the years, some people saying there's only like 12 different planes of existence, some saying infinite... It's quite interesting though :)

Two possibilities exist: Either we are all alone in the universe or we are not.
                                Both are equally terrifying.  -Arthur C. Clark

“Sometimes, I sit alone under the stars and think of the galaxies inside my heart, and truly wonder if anyone will ever want to make sense of all that I am.”
-Testy McTesterson

#5    ask21771

ask21771

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

this is an extension of the idea: The Omniverse is the collection of every single universe, multiverse, dimension (alternate or pocket) and realm. This includes not only Marvel Comics, but also DC Comics, Image, Dark Horse, Archie, Harvey, and every universe ever mentioned or seen (and an infinite amount never mentioned or seen) including our own world. Everything is in the Omniverse, and there is only one Omniverse. According to the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Alternate Universes, "It includes every single literary, television show, movie, urban legend, universe, realm, etc. ever. It includes everyone from Popeye to Rocky Balboa to Ronald Reagan to Romeo and Juliet to Luke Skywalker to Snoopy to Jay and Silent Bob, Mickey Mouse, Harry Potter, Super Mario to Sonic the Hedgehog, etc." The Omniverse incorporates all dimensions, realities and fantasies. This includes universes outside of comics, such as Star Wars, Hunger Games and Assassin's Creed. The Omniverse is EVERY reality, including those published by all other companies. Even fan-fictions, cancelled works, mere thoughts created by people, and fictional universes yet to be published are considered part of the Omniverse, simply put the Omniverse is every version of every type of reality and existence imaginable

#6    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,561 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:23 PM

If you had a super-fast space ship you could theoretically visit a planet identical to earth and visit your other you. However, the other you I think would not be precisely identical, because an exactly identical you would be in his own super-fast space ship visiting this earth looking for you..

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#7    ask21771

ask21771

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 30 March 2014 - 06:23 PM, said:

If you had a super-fast space ship you could theoretically visit a planet identical to earth and visit your other you. However, the other you I think would not be precisely identical, because an exactly identical you would be in his own super-fast space ship visiting this earth looking for you..

would I still be handsome

#8    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,561 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

ask said:

would I still be handsome

In some universes you would have been hit by a bus and your face disfigured. I would try to avoid going to those universes. I think only what is possible will occur. What I mean is, Harry Potter can't be real in any of these universes because magic would not be possible in any real naturally occuring universe (however, the development of some kind of psychokinetic techlology is possible, I suppose).Bugs Bunny, I don't think so. Rabbits would have to evlove human-like intelligence. In an infinite number of universes, given the laws of evolution, I think this unlikely

I think even in an infinite number of universes there would be a limiting factor to what can occur. Although in most universes the laws of physics may be different than in our universe, for life to exist there may be only very slight variations possible from the physics in our universe.

My personal fantasy of my ideal life would occur somewhere, maybe. It would still have to be an actual possibility. Even in an infinite megaverse there would be a moment when what is possible would begin repeating itself. It would be the same old thing over and over again, just like we have here on earth, so don't get your hopes up, its probably a pretty dull life everywhere.

. In many models of inflation, the inflationary phase of the universe's expansion lasts forever in at least some regions of the universe. This occurs because inflating regions expand very rapidly, reproducing themselves. Unless the rate of decay to the non-inflating phase is sufficiently fast, new inflating regions are produced more rapidly than non-inflating regions. In such models most of the volume of the universe at any given time is inflating. All models of eternal inflation produce an infinite multiverse, typically a fractal.
http://en.wikipedia....ernal_inflation

Edited by StarMountainKid, 30 March 2014 - 08:20 PM.

#9    ask21771

ask21771

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 30 March 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:

In some universes you would have been hit by a bus and your face disfigured. I would try to avoid going to those universes. I think only what is possible will occur. What I mean is, Harry Potter can't be real in any of these universes because magic would not be possible in any real naturally occuring universe (however, the development of some kind of psychokinetic techlology is possible, I suppose).Bugs Bunny, I don't think so. Rabbits would have to evlove human-like intelligence. In an infinite number of universes, given the laws of evolution, I think this unlikely

I think even in an infinite number of universes there would be a limiting factor to what can occur. Although in most universes the laws of physics may be different than in our universe, for life to exist there may be only very slight variations possible from the physics in our universe.

My personal fantasy of my ideal life would occur somewhere, maybe. It would still have to be an actual possibility. Even in an infinite megaverse there would be a moment when what is possible would begin repeating itself. It would be the same old thing over and over again, just like we have here on earth, so don't get your hopes up, its probably a pretty dull life everywhere.

http://en.wikipedia....ernal_inflation

so maybe in those other universes the laws of physics allow bugs bunny and harry potter to exist

#10    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,561 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

ask said:

so maybe in those other universes the laws of physics allow bugs bunny and harry potter to exist

I think only if the could exist here in this universe. Our universe is fine-tuned to an incredible degree. Change any constant (the charge of an electron, the value of the strong nuclear force, for instance) or relationships between constants even very, very slightly and this universe would be completely different, and life would not be possible.

I suppose there may be universes wherein the physical laws are completely different and life could exist, but I think science would be hard put to create a model of such a universe. If such a universe did exist, I think life there would be beyond our powers of imagination to...um...imagine.

I'm rather annoyed that I don't live in my perfect world, which may exist somewhere. It's the impenetrable boundary between universes that forever severs my consciousness from his and keeps me from enjoying his life. Then again, there are multitudes of universes where I exist in a worse state than me in this one, so I guess I should be grateful I'm me, here and now.

My space alien friends tell me this universe was created in the laboratories of the Evil Vulgarians out of childish spite. Sometimes I believe this to be true.

#11    ask21771

ask21771

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:07 PM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 30 March 2014 - 10:05 PM, said:

I think only if the could exist here in this universe. Our universe is fine-tuned to an incredible degree. Change any constant (the charge of an electron, the value of the strong nuclear force, for instance) or relationships between constants even very, very slightly and this universe would be completely different, and life would not be possible.

I suppose there may be universes wherein the physical laws are completely different and life could exist, but I think science would be hard put to create a model of such a universe. If such a universe did exist, I think life there would be beyond our powers of imagination to...um...imagine.

I'm rather annoyed that I don't live in my perfect world, which may exist somewhere. It's the impenetrable boundary between universes that forever severs my consciousness from his and keeps me from enjoying his life. Then again, there are multitudes of universes where I exist in a worse state than me in this one, so I guess I should be grateful I'm me, here and now.

My space alien friends tell me this universe was created in the laboratories of the Evil Vulgarians out of childish spite. Sometimes I believe this to be true.

there's no model that can disprove fictional realism assuming other wise is just ignorant

#12    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,550 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

Instead of everything "must" exist, I've always looked at it like everything "could" exist.

So sure, there might be talking rabbit somewhere out there.

Embrace the impossible.

#13    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,561 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

ask said:

there's no model that can disprove fictional realism assuming other wise is just ignorant

I suppose you're correct. My premise is that there must be some constraints on possible types of existences given the basic building blocks of universes (elementary particles, etc.).

Can we imagine something that would actually be impossible given an infinite number of universes? I'm just wondering. For instance, I can imagine an animal with the body of a cow, the legs of an elephant, the head of a rabbit living on a large planet completely covered by water with gravity ten times that of earth with an atmosphere of helium. I'm not convinced that such an imaginary animal can exist in any real universe.

#14    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,546 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:42 PM

View Postask21771, on 30 March 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

<h5>Fictional realism.</h5>
This is the most fascinating branch of multiverse theory. Superman is real. Yes, some of you would probably choose a different story, for argument’s sake, Harry Potter might be real too. This branch of the theory argues that given an infinite number of universes, everything must exist somewhere. So, all of our favorite fiction and fantasy may be descriptive of an alternate universe, one where all the right pieces came in to place to make it happen

I've be;leived in this all my life and now I want to know what others think
It's a cool idea and its fun to think about but unfortunately there is a principal in nature that prevents this.

There are many things that can exist physically but will never exist by pure virtue of there not being a vector for its creation.

For example: there is no vector for a giant sized gold planet to arise in nature. There is nothing preventing its physical existence, but there is no process by which it can occur. I suppose some race of aliens could spend a million years making one, but that seems unlikely.

Universes that mimic our fiction assumes that there is a way for these things to happen. Sure  if one things universes randomly assign positions of particles, one might exactly match up. But universes don't do this. They evolve according to set principals. I'm not saying that there might be some  scenarios that look very similar to some fictions, but you can get that right here on earth. To bad, I kinda hoped that the enterprise might show up one day Picard and all, but I'm also glad that there are probably no silent hills or resident evil style universes.

There is really good way to tell if all fiction is real or not. Write a book about a universe of inter dimensional travelers that travel to find the person writing about their reality and story. If you get a knock on the door let us know.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#15    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

The Omniverse is interesting to think about.  The question for me would be:  do authors tune in to these other universes when they write their material (gaining unintentional inspiration from the other reality), or do authors actually create these other universes when they write their fiction?

One's reality is another's nightmare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users