Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How old were you when your memories start ?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Vincennes

Vincennes

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

I was just perusing through another form and one of the posters there talked about a memory she had from the age of three.  Another poster responded to her that to remember anything at the age of three was in itself unusual.

I have always have had snippets of memory as a young child.  The first occurred at around the age of 14 - 16 months.  It's not a memory of conversation mind you.  What I remember is perhaps a 5 second interval that I wanted to do something and made my mother stop and let me do it.

By the age of two, the memories are just a bit longer and involve do involve a snip little conversation.  By the age of four I remember running away from my mother because I had done something wrong (and I clearly remember what it was) and I knew she was going to be after me in a flash.

I have ran across comments before in which people say they have no recollection of early childhood.

None of mine are earth shaking events.  They are just snips of how I felt and what was going on for perhaps a 10/20 second periods of time.

Any one else ?

#2    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

• 12,996 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:10 PM

I've always heard that 3yrs was the most usual age to have your earliest memory ..... certainly is for me.

#3    amaterasu

amaterasu

Government Agent

• 3,697 posts

• "Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!"

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

I remember being taken by my father to meet my newborn sister in hospital so I would have been 16 months old. I remember him holding my hand as we walked through the hospital corridors which had random coloured tiles here and there, I was trying to jump from one coloured square to the next but my legs were too little so he had to lift me by the arms as I jumped so that I could reach each one.

When I saw my mother holding my newborn sister in her arms in the hospital bed remember feeling nothing but sadness and that this new little thing was my mummy's new best baby :(
Things haven't changed and we are in our early 40's now :D

I really cannot explain this memory but it is as clear as crystal.

* Group logo removed, please see rule 3i *

#4    white lion

white lion

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

I have memories of when I was 2-3  , really they almost feel like a memory of a memory , I have about 3-4 short clips in my head that I can play , they have feeling attached to them also ,

#5    Vincennes

Vincennes

Psychic Spy

• 1,881 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:21 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 30 March 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

I've always heard that 3yrs was the most usual age to have your earliest memory ..... certainly is for me.

Thanks for your responses.  Maybe we can establish an average in this forum.  But I'm also anxious to hear if other people remember things as early as I do but then maybe I'm just weird.  Won't be anything new in that realization.

#6    Vincennes

Vincennes

Psychic Spy

• 1,881 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

View Postamaterasu, on 30 March 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

I remember being taken by my father to meet my newborn sister in hospital so I would have been 16 months old. I remember him holding my hand as we walked through the hospital corridors which had random coloured tiles here and there, I was trying to jump from one coloured square to the next but my legs were too little so he had to lift me by the arms as I jumped so that I could reach each one.

When I saw my mother holding my newborn sister in her arms in the hospital bed remember feeling nothing but sadness and that this new little thing was my mummy's new best baby :(
Things haven't changed and we are in our early 40's now :D

I really cannot explain this memory but it is as clear as crystal.

When does the next memory occur ?

#7    amaterasu

amaterasu

Government Agent

• 3,697 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

View PostVincennes, on 30 March 2014 - 09:23 PM, said:

When does the next memory occur ?

Probably the next most vivid memory was when my parent's left my aunt babysitting while they attended a wedding - my mother was still breastfeeding my baby sister and had left a bottle of expressed milk in the fridge so that my aunt could feed the baby ....so I drank it .....and got yelled at :D

My aunt had to pace the floor with my screaming hungry sister until my parents got home - I was not in the good books.

Can you see a pattern emerging here? :passifier: :cry:

#8    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,186 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:39 PM

I can remember back to perhaps when I was 5.

Perhaps earliest memories are related to how old you are? I'm 45, and can remember back to age 5. Perhaps someone who is 20 can remember back to age 3? Or perhaps it is an individual variable kind of thing?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#9    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,789 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:42 PM

Four? I read an article in Discovery magazine that said our memories are so faulty that every time we recall a memory we alter it some way, either adding to it, or forgetting some details.

#10    Vincennes

Vincennes

Psychic Spy

• 1,881 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:55 PM

View Postamaterasu, on 30 March 2014 - 09:30 PM, said:

Probably the next most vivid memory was when my parent's left my aunt babysitting while they attended a wedding - my mother was still breastfeeding my baby sister and had left a bottle of expressed milk in the fridge so that my aunt could feed the baby ....so I drank it .....and got yelled at :D

My aunt had to pace the floor with my screaming hungry sister until my parents got home - I was not in the good books.

Can you see a pattern emerging here? :passifier: :cry:

I thought later I should have added, I bet your sister was not your mom's "best baby."

Actually at first I couldn't see a pattern but thinking it over now I think I do.  What I remember come from very strong feelings inside ME at the time.  I guess because I was the important one present ~~LOL~~~

Things that I wanted to do or things I wanted and they were trying to satisfy what I wanted.  I was very pleased when they did.  Perhaps everyone is lucky that I am an only child.  I probably would have been a drinkin' that milk too !

#11    Vincennes

Vincennes

Psychic Spy

• 1,881 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 30 March 2014 - 09:39 PM, said:

I can remember back to perhaps when I was 5.

Perhaps earliest memories are related to how old you are? I'm 45, and can remember back to age 5. Perhaps someone who is 20 can remember back to age 3? Or perhaps it is an individual variable kind of thing?

No, I'm afraid that it's not related to current age.  I'm a lot older than you are and they haven't changed or diminished.

I know how old I was at the time of the earliest because of the house we were living in.  I do seem to very conscious of where I was.  My grandmother lived three or four blocks away and every day my mother would take me in my stroller down the street for a visit.  Along that route there was a maybe 2' high x 3' wide bolder that happen to have a hole or indentation in it that collected water.  I must have thrown one heck of a fit to get my mother to stop along the way.  What I wanted to do was put my fingers in that water and then I found some small pebbles around the rock that I could drop in and watch them trickle down.  Every day after that we stopped there so that I could play with the water in that rock.

Funny thing is as I grew up I used to go by that corner every now and then and check the hole for water.  Then I moved away.  Coming back years later as an adult I passed that corner and they had widened the road and my rock was gone.  You know I sat there in traffic and had a mental fit.  They took my rock and didn't let me know and I could have come back and gotten it.  I had to shake myself hard to move on down the road realizing most people aren't quite that bonded to a rock !   :passifier:

#12    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 18,754 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

I'm older than dirt and I can remember back to about age 3 as well. The age at which we store memories may have more to do with personal circumstances and how an individual processes experiences.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#13    amaterasu

amaterasu

Government Agent

• 3,697 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

View PostVincennes, on 30 March 2014 - 10:04 PM, said:

No, I'm afraid that it's not related to current age.  I'm a lot older than you are and they haven't changed or diminished.

I know how old I was at the time of the earliest because of the house we were living in.  I do seem to very conscious of where I was.  My grandmother lived three or four blocks away and every day my mother would take me in my stroller down the street for a visit.  Along that route there was a maybe 2' high x 3' wide bolder that happen to have a hole or indentation in it that collected water.  I must have thrown one heck of a fit to get my mother to stop along the way.  What I wanted to do was put my fingers in that water and then I found some small pebbles around the rock that I could drop in and watch them trickle down.  Every day after that we stopped there so that I could play with the water in that rock.

Funny thing is as I grew up I used to go by that corner every now and then and check the hole for water.  Then I moved away.  Coming back years later as an adult I passed that corner and they had widened the road and my rock was gone.  You know I sat there in traffic and had a mental fit.  They took my rock and didn't let me know and I could have come back and gotten it.  I had to shake myself hard to move on down the road realizing most people aren't quite that bonded to a rock !   :passifier:

Presumably our cognition and mental processes as infants have a huge bearing on whom be become as adults. I had a huge issue with my grandmother washing my enormous teddy bear which was bigger than me at one point - I had to literally drag it around. She used to wash it in the twin tub and then pass it through the mangle which upset me greatly ...seeing my beloved Charlie being squished through the awful device in the back yard. He would always come back to me but very much smaller.

It only occurred to me as a young adult that Charlie only appeared to be smaller as I was growing taller ....although I didn't get my head around this as an infant.

My youngest daughter is like me, she has memories of her 2nd birthday party and can name all the people who attended even though she hasn't seen any of them since she left that nursery when she was 3. She is now nearly 8.

Edited by amaterasu, 30 March 2014 - 10:16 PM.

#14    quiXilver

quiXilver

Psychic Spy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:57 PM

two

Unknowingly, we plow the dust of stars, blown about us by the wind and drink the universe in a glass of rain. ~ Ihab Hassan
You never change things by fighting the existing reality.  To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ~R. Buckminster Fuller
Just because you thought it, or felt it deeply, doesn't make it real, true or important.  Don't believe everything you think... ~ Creighton Larson
Everything you Love and Everything you Hate, come from the Same Source:  ~Creighton Larson

#15    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,497 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:01 PM

My memories have kind of a staggered start.  I have brief flashes of things before I was 4(with the memory length gradually getting longer and more complete), but my constant stream of memories don't start until I was around 4.

The(I believe) oldest memory I have is crawling underneath of a blue flannel blanket before I could walk.  Either that or when I was in one of those standing wheeled walkers(the circular ones you put babies in so they can practice the motions while being supported) and running around the living room/kitchen in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users