Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

ADHD 'Not a Real Disease' Says Neuroscientist

adhd disease dr bruce d perry

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,348 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

Leading American neuroscientist Dr Bruce D Perry has claimed that attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is not "a real disease".

"It is best thought of as a description. If you look at how you end up with that label, it is remarkable because any one of us at any given time would fit at least a couple of those criteria," he said.

https://uk.news.yaho...56.html#D9rlkC9

Posted Image

#2    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

Indeed it's a great way to sell drugs to children. We have also created a society of hoop jumpers. If for whatever reason a kid doesn't line to jump through the obstacle course we have for him/her they get a label and a pill. The brave new world is fast approaching.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#3    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

View PostWhite Crane Feather, on 31 March 2014 - 11:04 AM, said:

Indeed it's a great way to sell drugs to children. We have also created a society of hoop jumpers. If for whatever reason a kid doesn't line to jump through the obstacle course we have for him/her they get a label and a pill. The brave new world is fast approaching.

I would say it's already here, the BNW.

I tend to agree with Dr. Perry.  I wonder if our relatively new digital world and its many devices contribute to the behavior we call ADHD?

#4    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 31 March 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

I would say it's already here, the BNW.

I tend to agree with Dr. Perry.  I wonder if our relatively new digital world and its many devices contribute to the behavior we call ADHD?
I'm sure of it as well as other things. I teach martial arts and the coordination level of children in general has decreased drastically. I live in a mature market for electronic devices, and I have been utterly shocked at the number of preteens that I meet that cannot even do a summer sault roll or a push-up. It's scary actually.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#5    Vincennes

Vincennes

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:04 PM

I really totally agree with this article.  I think it is also so over diagnosed it is pathetic.

However, I say that with a little bit of knowledge about what they diagnose as ADHD.  My grandson was diagnosed with severe ADHD when he was four.  On top of being hyper active, there some other symptoms that don't seem to be mentioned as often.  He had terrible depth perception.  He would run right straight into a wall or jump so high on the bed that he went off the bed and into the dresser and just seem to have poor conception of depth and space.

He was of course placed on Ritalin.  My daughter abhorred the aspect of giving a four / five year old a pill ever day to control his behavior.  Control it that is until the pill wore off.  Then you looked at the prospect of giving him another pill.  She started researching ADHD and found a theory out there that it is caused by diet, all of the food colorings and additives that we take in every day.  She immediately decided to try it and to stop the Ritalin.  It was difficult to say the least. There are specific additives that are felt to be at blame, so she had to read each and every label.  She found things that are shocking such as Green Giant frozen baby peas have a color additive to make them such a lovely shade of green that is an oil derivative !   Simple things like pasta sauce in a jar were totally out of the picture.  I swear she became so dedicated to this she was almost to the point of grinding her own flour.

But it WORKED !!!!  When she took him back to the doctor who made the diagnosis, he was stunned and asked her what in the world she had done.  When she told him he said that he had read about it but had never found anyone who would actually do it !   Needless to say, he was never on Ritalin again !   She was able to slacken the restrictions little at a time.  If something didn't digest right, you could actually see it "hit" and cause a change in his behavior almost immediately.  If you take a minute and correlate this to the common saying, don't give the kids any sugar, they'll be up all night.  You can begin to think about it might not be the sugar in the treat, it might just be the food coloring.

I hope anyone that has a child with ADHD that reads this thinks about it and makes some changes in diet.   My grandson is now 6'2" and does not have female breast which I am now hearing is another side effect, has an IQ in the 150's just got a bachelor's from OSU in languages and is now in grad school.  It was difficult but it was worth it.

PS  My daughter is allergic to nylon.  Taking her in a carpet store is always good for a laugh !  She is also a radiologist but had trouble doing that because using the chemicals to develop film
caused sarcoid tumors in her lungs.  I have always wondered if his condition was related to that allergy.

Edited by Vincennes, 31 March 2014 - 02:08 PM.

#6    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 21,226 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

I was diagnosed with AADD when I was 32.  They started me on methylphenidate, which did work, but only for a limited time, and there were side effects I didn't like.  It did help me get my MBA and my degree in Network Engineering (wish I had know about it in college).

I was off meds for a while, but have been taking new ones for the past couple of years.  There's three pills taken at different times, which is sort of a pain, but I prefer it because it gives much greater control over the dosage, not like Ritalin, which is like using a double-barrel for hunting squirrels.

I haven't heard of ADD being referred to as a disease for a while.  I've always known it as a cognitive disorder.

#7    Vincennes

Vincennes

Psychic Spy

• 2,019 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:39 PM

View PostWhite Crane Feather, on 31 March 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

I'm sure of it as well as other things. I teach martial arts and the coordination level of children in general has decreased drastically. I live in a mature market for electronic devices, and I have been utterly shocked at the number of preteens that I meet that cannot even do a summer sault roll or a push-up. It's scary actually.

In respect of what you have brought up, I felt that I should mention that my grandson was entered in a qualified martial arts school that was operated by a former Marine Drill Sargent and, of course, a black belt to not only improve his physical coordination but to enhance his concentration.

#8    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

View PostVincennes, on 01 April 2014 - 08:39 PM, said:

In respect of what you have brought up, I felt that I should mention that my grandson was entered in a qualified martial arts school that was operated by a former Marine Drill Sargent and, of course, a black belt to not only improve his physical coordination but to enhance his concentration.
In my opinion there are few things better for those things. Dance and gymnastics are close seconds but martial arts is also a practicle skill if taught properly.

Edited by White Crane Feather, 01 April 2014 - 10:16 PM.

Bruce Lee-

#9    simplybill

simplybill

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:05 AM

Vincennes- that was an awesome, awesome post about your grandson. It made my day!

Every warrior is happy when his enemies flee before him, but much more blessed is the man to whom his fiercest enemies can come with confidence, knowing beforehand they will be received with love.
Richard Wurmbrand in Reaching Toward the Heights.

#10    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• Banned
  • 4,810 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:09 AM

View PostStill Waters, on 31 March 2014 - 10:47 AM, said:

Leading American neuroscientist Dr Bruce D Perry has claimed that attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is not "a real disease".

"It is best thought of as a description. If you look at how you end up with that label, it is remarkable because any one of us at any given time would fit at least a couple of those criteria," he said.

https://uk.news.yaho...56.html#D9rlkC9

I beleive this. the label ADHD is just to push drugs, drugs that effect growing, rapidly maturing brains.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#11    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,688 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:20 AM

Reminds me of this . And for the record I do think A.D.H.D is not real

Posted Image

Edited by spartan max2, 02 April 2014 - 01:22 AM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#12    Vincennes

Vincennes

Psychic Spy

• 2,019 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:55 AM

View Postsimplybill, on 02 April 2014 - 12:05 AM, said:

Vincennes- that was an awesome, awesome post about your grandson. It made my day!

Thank you,  Bill, from the very bottom of my heart.

I hope someone who has a child with this affliction reads this and realizes this was not an easy course, it was probably the most difficult thing my daughter ever undertook but I will always say she did it with her entire heart, knowing the other choice was forcing a pill down a 4 year olds throat every 6 hrs.  But the rewards came within 4 months, the changes started to happen.  By the time he was 8 she was able to introduce him to the other world of food but slowly.  

Our immune systems are worn out by what we endure every; e.g , Green Giant baby peas only not the only thing our children now are faced with every day .  I wonder who read this and will ever feel the same about Green Giant peas again.  That colorful dye is an oil derivative.  Think about it and have another helping.  Give it to your baby because peas are a good thing, right ???

View PostWhite Crane Feather, on 01 April 2014 - 10:16 PM, said:

In my opinion there are few things better for those things. Dance and gymnastics are close seconds but martial arts is also a practicle skill if taught properly.

Again, you are so correct  !!!  Please keep telling them !!!

The doctors that did his diagnosis and the ones stunned at the recovery he had achieved were at Bethesda.  His father at the time was an army surgeon from a full scholarship.  That's how he was diagnosed so competently from the start but it was my daughter that realized she also need to reconnect him physically.   White Feather, keep telling them !

Because of these two things we are losing our children, their minds and their physical abilities.

Anyone interested in further information can contact me.

Edited by Vincennes, 02 April 2014 - 03:11 AM.

#13    simplybill

simplybill

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:01 AM

Vincennes - I was writing this post when yours popped up. Here's my take on ADD:

I could have been the poster boy for ADD when I was a kid. Even now, as an adult, I have to expend an enormous amount of energy to fit into everyday society. Rather than seeing it as an affliction, I've been able to incorporate it into my lifestyle, with good results. Years ago, I read this book by Thom Hartmann:
http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/1887424148
His views gave me an entirely different outlook on ADD, and helped me to harness the energy that comes with it.
This Wikipedia article gives a brief overview of Dr. Hartmann's ideas:
http://en.wikipedia....rmer_hypothesis

Your post was a real encouragement, Vincennes. Just hearing how a loving family can steer an ADD kid in the right direction gives me hope for the world!

Every warrior is happy when his enemies flee before him, but much more blessed is the man to whom his fiercest enemies can come with confidence, knowing beforehand they will be received with love.

#14    simplybill

simplybill

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:11 AM

I agree with you, Vincennes, that the "Hyperactivity" component of ADHD is likely environmentally induced. The "hyper" needs to be brought under control. The attention deficit may just need to be redirected, as you and your family have done with your grandson. I'm uncomfortable calling "simple" ADD an affliction, as my own experience has turned out to be a positive thing in my life.

#15    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 21,226 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:26 AM

View Postspartan max2, on 02 April 2014 - 01:20 AM, said:

Reminds me of this . And for the record I do think A.D.H.D is not real

You understand that isn't the doctor's position, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users