Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Holy Grail Found?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,372 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

I just ran across this: http://nypost.com/20...led-holy-grail/

Hmmm...?

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#2    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:29 AM

Hmmm indeed...

It seems that the people who found it are certainly certain.
I'm reserved about it.

Good find on the article!!

:tu:

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#3    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,326 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

smells like an April's Fool to me.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#4    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,372 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 01 April 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

That's what I thought as well. But...I can't seem to find any confirmation.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#5    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 01 April 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

I think I would put money on that....

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#6    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,326 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

View PostLilly, on 01 April 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

I think the sheer fact that these 'Historians' didn't have to fend off any attack rabbits is proof enough for me that is a hoax.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#7    Ligia Cabus

Ligia Cabus

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 144 posts

• "Hell, ain't a bad place to be." AC/DC

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

Caramba! If this is Holy Grail I imagine the rest of the Saloon - (Cenaculo, Cenacle).   Must has been a luxury this Holy Supper (or Last Supper).  If it were genuine it would be time for historians and theologians pay attention to the scholars who deny the poverty of the family of Jesus, the Christ. Scholars who, incidentally, are often ridiculed and despised by orthodox researchers, the called respectable academics, those who claim for themselves, the status of true scientists ...

Edited by Ligia Cabus, 01 April 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#8    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,428 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

Well... first off, unless I am way wrong... it wasn't Jesus' cup... it belonged to the person that ran the inn or what ever it was... It's not like he walked around with a 13 person place setting all the time...

So it would most likely look like an Inn's "dinnerware" - i.e. tough, serviceable and inexpensive... The goblet in the OP does not look like it fills this bill to me...

(Of course i've been wrong before)...

Edited by Taun, 01 April 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#9    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,272 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

The scientists admit the first 400 years of the cup’s history remain a mystery and they can’t prove the chalice ever actually touched Christ’s lips.

http://nypost.com/20...led-holy-grail/

They can prove nothing, considering the arabs did not conquer Jerusalem until around 638 ce, this cup, if not made in Taiwan! Could have been anybodies.

Hoax... I hope so, surely someone would not make this claim with no evidence at all.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#10    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• 1,644 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

The provenance of this grail is certainly questionable. Even after proper dating is accomplished and a chain of ownership established, we still have the problem of "did this ever touch the lips of Christ?"

It's the same problem of the Shroud of Turin or the first-century heel bone pierced by an iron nail: Perhaps legitimate artifacts of Jesus' time, but absolutely no evidence connecting such to Jesus directly.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#11    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

you know. the inn where they had their supper probably just served him from the same cups everyone else before him drank from and then gathered his cup and washed it with the others (or not, not sure the clean habits).. then served the next group and passed it on.

It probably was destroyed with the other cups, if made from wood.. then burned when replaced.

I mean, how many inns/resteraunts et et save all their cups when they get new ones?

If you had an important dinner at Dennys (lets face it, at that time... the last supper was just an important dinner meeting between a group of pple.. important only to themselves)... and it changed your life, could you and your group go back to dennys one yr later or so and actually expect the same cups to be served to you that you drank from previously? Heck would they even be there, or would they have been dropped and replaced by then?

Edited by willowdreams, 01 April 2014 - 02:06 PM.

Posted Image

#12    MissJatti

MissJatti

Psychic Spy

• 1,459 posts

• There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

so a $10,000 just to get a 10 second glimpse at it...

Posted Image

#13    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,428 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

View Postwillowdreams, on 01 April 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

you know. the inn where they had their supper probably just served him from the same cups everyone else before him drank from and then gathered his cup and washed it with the others (or not, not sure the clean habits).. then served the next group and passed it on.

It probably was destroyed with the other cups, if made from wood.. then burned when replaced.

I mean, how many inns/resteraunts et et save all their cups when they get new ones?

If you had an important dinner at Dennys (lets face it, at that time... the last supper was just an important dinner meeting between a group of pple.. important only to themselves)... and it changed your life, could you and your group go back to dennys one yr later or so and actually expect the same cups to be served to you that you drank from previously? Heck would they even be there, or would they have been dropped and replaced by then?

Pilgrim (10 years later): "Inn Keeper! I am here to claim the most holy grail. That devine chalice that our Lord drank from at the Last Supper, which was held in this very room!"
Innkeeper: "Oh... Ummm... Why Sure! Ummm... Here it is! (grabbing a cup off of the shelf) I remember serving him myself! This is the very same cup... er... chalice!"
Pilgrim: "I must have it! It is a holy relic!"
Innkeeper: "Certainly! I can let you have it for a mere pitance of 200 shekels... After all I must be recompensed for the most holy of relics being taken from here!"
Pilgrim: "Yes! A bargin!"

a week later:
2nd Pilgrim: "Inn Keeper! I am here to claim the most holy grail."
Innkeeper: "I was expecting you! I have it right here (with all the others). A mere 250 shekels!"

Edited by Taun, 01 April 2014 - 02:45 PM.

#14    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,406 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

How can something from a 'legend' or a 'myth' ever be found, then  proven to be associated to Jesus?

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#15    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,025 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

View PostLilly, on 01 April 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

the jesus i know wouldn't have drank from a jewel encrusted cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users