Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

LA could see the "Eathquake From Hell"

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,267 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

Experts ID fault that could unleash ‘earthquake from hell’ on L.A.

A fault that runs beneath the ground of Los Angeles that sent the city on unsteady ground over the weekend could actually be the one that causes the massive earthquake that devastates the entire community, experts warned.

The San Andreas Fault may be better known — but this one, the Puente Hills Fault, that sent shockwaves on Friday actually runs directly beneath downtown Los Angeles and into Hollywood, the blog Newser reported. And it’s capable of delivering a quake that hits a 7.5 on the Richter scale, with the potential of causing $250 billion in damage and killing 18,000, U.S. Geological Survey researchers find, The Associated Press reported

http://www.washingto.../#ixzz2xdnUmjXi

Yes well the Americans have to have BIGGER of everything dont they? Still, lets hope for the best!

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    MissJatti

MissJatti

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

• There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:23 PM

if so.. this could be the biggest evacuation since records began

Posted Image

#3    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,267 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:29 PM

View PostSkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart, on 01 April 2014 - 02:23 PM, said:

if so.. this could be the biggest evacuation since records began

That'll be something to see wont it?  Im glad in the UK we have relatively stable geology!  OK we have had very minor tremors, but we seem to get away with it all.

Apart from rain and floods that is, then hosepipe bans!

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#4    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 14,954 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

In California it is only a matter of time.  A large destructive quake will devastate the area at some point and may will die.  I just hope that they continue to prepare so they can minimize the effects.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#5    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,267 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

If Yellowstone kicked off at the same time....boy,  that will be SHTF time...BIG time  :no:

#6    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,267 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

Found some YT vids

A Temblor On The Puente Hills Thrust Fault Would Be "The Quake From Hell"

Puente Hills Earthquake Visualization

#7    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

this is certainly not news, it's just because of the recent quake that they're rehashing this doomsday stuff.

#8    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,267 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:59 PM

What if ? California earthquake   First 5 mins show some scary footage

#9    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,295 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

I wouldn't want to be there when it hits.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#10    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 01 April 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

I wouldn't want to be there when it hits.
i for sure won't be there when it hits.
i figure they are going to get a massive quake - it's inevitable,
what i was pointing out is that it's been pretty much known for a long while that it could happen anytime, and that this 'news' item was kind of beside the point.

#11    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,699 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

We're supposed to go to SF in a month or so. :cry:

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#12    Thorvir Hrothgaard

Thorvir Hrothgaard

Berserker

• 2,419 posts

• Viking and Pagan at heart. Drink Mead and Hold Your Heathen Hammer High!

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

Isn't there always supposed to be a massive quake from hell or whatever for somewhere in California?

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but crying wolf a thousand times isn't helping the matter.

If it goes I hope they just bulldoze the remains of the city and start over.  It would be cheaper.  Though I wanted that for New Orleans as well...

Be warned...I am protected by gods that you are not prepared to deal with.

#13    Mekelyn

Mekelyn

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:27 AM

For as long as I lived in L.A. we were always told that the next one could be the big one. But it really does not need to get that big for the city to be completely devastated. Today a 8.2 magnitude earthquake hit off the coast of Chile. There is a tsunami warning and the entire cost is being evacuated. That's all it would take to bring L.A. to it's knees.

#14    MordorOrc

MordorOrc

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

• Evil Lurks Within...

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:54 AM

View Postseeder, on 01 April 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

Yes well the Americans have to have BIGGER of everything dont they? Still, lets hope for the best!

Yeah, no. Whilst a 7.5 is still large, it's by no means the biggest and meanest in terms of earthquakes. For example, I live within 100 miles of a subduction zone called the Hikurangi Trench which is capable of producing an earthquake of magnitude 8.5 or larger.

You must obey the law, always, not only when they grab you by your special place.
Vladimir Putin

#15    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,267 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:57 AM

View PostMekelyn, on 02 April 2014 - 01:27 AM, said:

For as long as I lived in L.A. we were always told that the next one could be the big one. But it really does not need to get that big for the city to be completely devastated. Today a 8.2 magnitude earthquake hit off the coast of Chile. There is a tsunami warning and the entire cost is being evacuated. That's all it would take to bring L.A. to it's knees.

I just read this in the news too!

Tsunami alert after 8.2 quake strikes off Chile

http://www.bbc.co.uk...merica-26846984

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users