Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Journalist seeking opinions

journalism cryptozoology reason

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1    klaus_esterluss

klaus_esterluss

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on a story about cryptozoology and I'm interested in the reason why and how you started to be interested in the topic.
Is it because of the mystery behind it, did you already see one of the well known (or not so well known) creatures, or are you just curious about what is hidden in seas and forests of the world?

It would be amazing if some of you could write short answers here that I could use for the text.

To make sure that I'm real: I'm working for a project called Global Ideas (http://www.dw.de/globalideas) - we are basically covering stories about biodiversity and how people work to protect rare species and the environment. At the end April we will publish a special on the "coming and going of species". This is where cryptids fit perfectly in because they are probably somewhere out there.

Thank you very much for your participation.

Klaus

#2    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

The Holy Dopamine Ghost

• 5,377 posts

• Watching the Star Wars The Force Awakens trailers: I get Goosebumps, and I feel waves of emotions. This is proof that "The Force" is real. :D

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:29 PM

If the Woods, or body of Water has a potential mystery to it? Then I want to know about it so I would not be as shocked by an encounter even though it's a very remote possibility.Campfire tales of the unknown has been with us for a very long time, and keeps us from getting eaten by the Monsters...BBWWHHHAAAaa HA HA!

Posted Image
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "Mythical Jesus" Dr. Carrier
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=IybD2xzkhtc <-- "Mythical Moses" Dr. Price (starts@10:20)
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=272571 <-- Science Behind Irrational Beliefs
Inanna the Goddess of love was crucified, then after 3 days/nights was resurrected. An over 3,000 yo Tablet saying this is proof of it's truth. Praise Jesus Serotonin Christ!

#3    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,459 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:26 PM

I " believed " from Television / movies, and stories when I was young. I started researching, and now know these are not real. The " entertainment " side leaves out many of the " real " details.

Side note :

Working on how people protect species and the environment.....We as humans, do not. One example, Wolves...Another, the fishing industry....One more, Bees.
We need to first be able to protect species we know exist, and we know are dwindling, then work on cryptids / fantasy.

I would like to see a story ( detailed ) on why we are not doing this, and why most of the population does not even know why we need to.

Edited by Sakari, 01 April 2014 - 06:28 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#4    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:56 PM

For me it was the old In Search Of program.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#5    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,317 posts

• - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

"Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

They are still many 'new' species discovered nowadays (strangely these 'new' species actually seems to have been around for hundreds of thousands if not tens of millions of years)

• elephant journal link

18 of the Most Bizarre New Animals
Even as extinction stalks wildlife, adventurers are continually identifying new species, never before described by science. Here's a look at some of the strange new creatures identified in the last several years.
  • Popular Mechanics link

In regards to cryptids ... I am not entirely convinced nor is hopefully optimistic ~

~

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC
~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer

#6    Whisperer

Whisperer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

• "Never challenge the Universe for it will respond"

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:07 PM

I got interested when very young, at that time, news articles on tele described incidences from the Himalayas then over the years, cases from the United States started to go around...
Still fascinated by it all but have no grounds for a belief in them, just curiosity...

I be Ra...The river of life, the ebb and flow of summer tides...
Make not an image of me, nor offer unto me the limitations of form...
For I be Soul....and I will not be limited...

#7    AtlantisRises

AtlantisRises

Oderint dum metuant

• 2,449 posts

• My time has not yet come either, Some are born post humously

Ecce homo
    Nietszche

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:18 AM

I just want to eat a big foot. Mine is only a mid to large foot.

Edited by AtlantisRises, 02 April 2014 - 02:19 AM.

Posted Image

#8    sea-dove

sea-dove

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:48 AM

Ive been interested in this since I was a child.  I believe certain of these things exist eg I personally believe in the yeti/abdominble snowman as it would be easy in that harsh environment for a species to escape being properly known.  Humans are still learning what exists on this planet and newly discovery things.

When I was a college, one of my lecturers was someone who was into bushwalking remote places (into places where only the native aboriginals may ever go) and she actually  made 2-3 discoveries of new species (2 were of new kinds of spiders and I forget what the other thing was on.. maybe an insect).

If there wasnt parts of dodo birds still in existance today, held in museums.. quite likely that would be thought of of just a mythical creature!

I once saw an animal which was supposed to be extinct on the outskirts of a country town where I was living at the time (a mamma the size of my forearml).  I think it was living in a big drain there but it really surprised that a so called extinct animal was actually living in a township!! (it was spotted playing on a grass verge, jumping about in the moonlight at 1am in the morning.. maybe its noctural habit is how it was excaping detection).

I found an animal skeleton (still with its fur) while I was out horseriding one time (I used to ride along all the dirt road sides).. of an animal I couldnt work out what it was.. it was as big as grey hound but had huge cat like fangs (maybe it was an monsterous wild cat but that size???). I kind of wish now I'd taken its head to find out what it was.. it's face and mouth just didnt look like a dog to me but who knows.. maybe it was.

I have a interest in helping endangered species.  Ive started collecting rare plants for my garden and Ive set up a frog pond and now are gaining experience in frogs, I want to get some rare native to my area frogs to breed them in a large enclosed area of my yard.  I think humanity should be doing far more to help prevent the extinction of animals.

I think we've lost about a quarter of the frog species in 30 years.. the situation for frogs is very sad.. .they dont just have an issue with our pollution ruining their habitats, our houses taking over their land,  and also what we are use messing up their sexes http://news.mongabay...e_atrazine.html (common pesticide changes male frogs to females),  but there is also fairly new disease fungal disease chytridiomycosis which was first seen around 10 years or so ago  http://en.wikipedia....hytridiomycosis, which is wiping out many species of frogs (for some frog species it has a 100% mortality rate) and endangering all the frogs around the world as its expected to spread to other countries in the next few years.

Loose the frogs and we will have big issues with insects as frogs help keep things like mosquitos and other insects under control.

Edited by sea-dove, 02 April 2014 - 03:51 AM.

#9    klaus_esterluss

klaus_esterluss

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

Wow! I'm deeply impressed about all your responses.
Thanks a lot. I'll go through them and may ask some questions in return.
Great, I didn't expect that.

#10    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

The Holy Dopamine Ghost

• 5,377 posts

• Watching the Star Wars The Force Awakens trailers: I get Goosebumps, and I feel waves of emotions. This is proof that "The Force" is real. :D

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

View Postklaus_esterluss, on 02 April 2014 - 09:10 AM, said:

Wow! I'm deeply impressed about all your responses.
Thanks a lot. I'll go through them and may ask some questions in return.
Great, I didn't expect that.

I would like to add that anybody that has watched a doc about the subject knows that previously unknown, or thought of exctinct species has been found.On the other side of the spectrum you might want to touch on is the hoaxers.There are Youtube channels with many followers where people fake stuff, and any thought of descent in the comment section gets deleted.

Bigfoot is a popular subject for fakery.I have seen videos where people put Honey in the crotch of a tree to film a Bear (shakey camera style), faking logs/rocks thrown at the cameraman with a modified stuffed Monkey face looking around corners.There is this one guy that claims Bigfoot puts out Infrasound to camoflauge it's self to the enviroment .If anyone says that his videos are just Pareidolia he will block them and calls them ignorrant.There are many people that believe these videos.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Pareidolia

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Infrasound

Posted Image
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "Mythical Jesus" Dr. Carrier
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=IybD2xzkhtc <-- "Mythical Moses" Dr. Price (starts@10:20)
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=272571 <-- Science Behind Irrational Beliefs
Inanna the Goddess of love was crucified, then after 3 days/nights was resurrected. An over 3,000 yo Tablet saying this is proof of it's truth. Praise Jesus Serotonin Christ!

#11    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,184 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

In about 1979 a friend and I discovered very large foot prints so far from where a hoaxer would put them that I've believed in sasquatch ever since.  I hope we never find one.

#12    Dougward5

Dougward5

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

• " silver bullets ain't cheap"
    www.realwerewolfhunters.com

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:34 AM

When I was a kid every election year th county sheriff would come to the house to ask my parents for their vote. The two sheriffs I  remember  most were T.J. lockart and James earl Johnson . Both of them were involved in a very famous criptid case ...and I got to hear stories about it first hand...could not help but get involved in cryptozoology ..

#13    Thorvir Hrothgaard

Thorvir Hrothgaard

Ulfhednar

• 5,150 posts

• Europeans have to be allowed to do things before they can do them. Americans have to be prohibited, or they can do anything.

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

I've been interested since I was a child.  Monsters and aliens and such always fascinated me.  But, as an adult, I see so many lies and hoaxes about the subject I take it a bit personal...so now, I'm the skeptic not because I don't believe, but because I'm trying to eliminate all of the crap to get to the core of what may or may not be happening "behind the scenes" of our natural world.

I'm also interested in the human condition that makes a great many people believe in the paranormal/supernatural/wild explanations first without thinking logically and using common sense and coming up with a natural explanation.  Plus what makes them fall for all of these hoaxes and lies without doing their own questioning.

The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

#14    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,381 posts

• ~*★*~Engine of destruction~*★*~

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:28 PM

I got into cryptids, ufos, ghosts, etc all from the Time Life Mysteries of the Unexplained books.  I used to believe in all of it until I researched the alternate explanation and used a more logical way of thinking.

#15    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,459 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

To the OP...

How about getting " real " skeptics on the show/ list. Not just some " token " skeptic that follows commands, but one or some that know their ****.

Edited by Sakari, 05 April 2014 - 09:54 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

Also tagged with journalism, cryptozoology, reason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users