Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Journalist seeking opinions

journalism cryptozoology reason

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31    Razadia_the_Silver

Razadia_the_Silver

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

• Following the White Rabbit can get you in trouble.

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

View Posteaglesareskykittens, on 19 April 2014 - 02:54 AM, said:

I thought it was interesting that you mentioned that you were "covering stories about biodiversity." My curiosity was ignited, by the controversy of what people saw and what science supported. I was 12, my sister and I gazed out the window as my brother drove. I would have dismissed it if I was the only that saw it.  A black panther  sitting, underneath an old oak tree, in one of  are neighbors yard. My sister and I kind of just looked at each other in a daze, both asking did you just see what I saw? We begged my brother to go back, to turn around, but he thought we were lying.  In South Carolina, at lest where I live,  a good part of the population acknowledges the existence of the South Carolinian Black Panther. Of course, officially, this species is not recognized. Now that I am older I realize that what I saw could have easily been someone's escaped pet, but in this case I prefer to embrace delusion. The idea that such a large and powerful predator could exist, a predator who would undoubtedly has the potential to function as a keystone ecosystem gave me hope that maybe nature has a way keeping what is really needed alive.  It is wishful thinking I know, but I give into it every once in awhile. I do agree with Sakari that more time and energy should be devoted to preserving species that are dwindling, that way we protect them from becoming cryptids. If that way of thinking was put into action then maybe the search for the Thylacine wouldn't fall into cryptozoology.
Well, considering the fact that jaguars are no longer native to the US it makes sense. They're aren't any sustained populations to carry on for generations, or should I say, there are no large populations. It's mostly idividual cats keeping up with small areas before they move on. I think someone would notice 5 cats (4 females, 1 male as it normally is) in one area of about 20 to 30 miles. But honestly, I wouldn't at all be bothered by a sustained population here.

#32    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:21 AM

I suppose I am interested because new species of plants and animals are discovered every year. The panda, the king cheetah, mountain gorillas, 6' long giant earthworms were all at one time considered myths by modern science, yet were known to local people. Most discoveries of vertebrates today are small animals, most large ones have been discovered by now, but every now and then even a good size unknown shows up or something thought to be extinct resurfaces. And for small and invertebrate animals, we have not even began to catalog all the insects, and with each new dive into the deep sea, new creatures are discovered.

Now this is not precisely cryptozoology, most of that "science" deals with creatures of legend, but I always like to leave the door open to the possibility that such things exists. I must admit however that the longer I live the less inclined I am to believe in the existence of some of the more well known cryptids and many I consider complete nonsense. Logic would suggest there is not enough food to sustain a breeding population of large carnivorous aquatic animals in Loch Ness, so I rather discount Nessie. Sasquatch is only slightly more believable because by now at least one would have been shot by a hunter or killed by a vehicle, since virtually every known species with it's supposed territory has met a similar fate, but then again there is a lot of unexplored wilderness in some areas, so who knows?

I guess I'm always hopeful that something new and exciting will be added to our knowledge of biology, I even have hope that there may be life beneath the ice on Europa and that I might live long enough to see a probe explore it.

It's the thrill of discovery, man is too often arrogant and a bit of a know-it-all, it's good when something comes along to shake things up a bit.

#33    Gatofeo

Gatofeo

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

• "An ugly cat. Vast desert. Smoke and fire. Flying lead makes holes in parchment. The ugly cat is much amused." --- Gatodamus (1503-1566)

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:04 AM

Klaus, remember that stories of cryptids are repeated through the decades or even centuries, without scrutiny.
Case in point:
My family once had a vacation cabin on a lake in central British Columbia, Canada. In the early 1970s, before we had a propane refrigerator installed, we had to travel 40 kilometers every few days to get ice for our coolers, from the nearest store.
While at the store one day, my father and I sat in the cafe having a burger.
In the corner, a group of local old men sat around a table, telling stories and often laughing.
Then, they began laughing at the mention of "Bigfoot."
My father and I listened in as they laughed about a Bigfoot "researcher" who had recently visited, looking for any stories of the mythical beast. Word got out quickly that if you had a story to tell, this "researcher" would buy your lunch or dinner.
So these old men, most of them retired loggers, ranchers or trappers, fabricated tales about Bigfoot in their area of Nimpo Lake, British Columbia.
Doing so, they got free meals.
TO THIS DAY if you look at a map of Bigfoot sightings in British Columbia, numerous sightings around Nimpo Lake are indicated.
Those old men are long dead, but their prank lives on.

Also, I'm a former journalist, with twelve years as a newspaperman.
The early history of journalism intrigues me.
Always remember that the newspapers of the 19th century, into the 1920s, fabricated wild tales to increase readership.
Rival newspapers, noticing the increased sales of their competitor, often stole the story and added more details to it. Readers then turned to their paper for the latest news.
And so the battle of "facts" went back and forth.
Eventually, readers realized that it was all a hoax, or grew bored with the story, and it faded from the pages.

Many, many years later a "researcher" finds the paper and believes the story. Not only that, but he assumes that because other newspapers reported it, it MUST be true!

Thus we have stories like the Jersey Devil, the flying airship of the 1890s, Sasquatch, the Devil's footprints found in snow, etc.
These newspaper hoaxes are accepted and find their way into books.
Just because a newspaper or book is old, and the story is told through the decades or centuries, does not make it true.

Myself, I got into cryptids as a boy because I was raised in the Pacific Northwest. I was raised in Spokane, Washington, on the eastern (dry and sane) side of Washington state. It is much drier country than the coast, but Bigfoot has reportedly been seen in the dry pine forests of central and northeastern Washington as well.

About 1967, when I was 12, my parents took me to see a presentation at the Spokane Coliseum by the man who supposedly filmed the female Bigfoot walking along a dry riverbed in northern California. I believe his name was Roger Patterson. He was a native of Yakima, Washington
He and others spoke for well over an hour, without showing the film. Finally, after nearly 90 minutes of listening to "experts" offer their opinion that Bigfoot was real, the film was shown once.
Then it was, "Thank you very much! Goodnight!" and no opportunity for the audience to see the film a second time or ask questions.
Most people who left felt they had been taken by a con man.
In later years, it was suggested (rather heavily) that Patterson had a shady background and had concocted the hoax.

I was a believer in Bigfoot for years. In the early 1970s I was intrigued by the idea that there might be Bigfoot sightings around our lake. I asked the locals if there had ever been any reports of Bigfoot in the area. Other than the fabricated stories of the old men, no one could recall there had ever been any.
We sold the cabin in 2012, after 41 years of using it. In all those years, I never once heard of a Bigfoot sighting.
I finally concluded that Bigfoot is a wish, hoax or delusion. No skull, bones or hide of one have ever been found. Every photo or video is conveniently out of focus or so obscure that it hinders examination.

Do some cryptids exist? Perhaps smaller ones do. But a 2-1/2 meter tall humanoid with feet 45 centimeters long?
If you believe that, then I have some lovely Pacific Ocean property in Arizona to sell you.

-- Gatofeo ("ugly cat" in Spanish)

My god! How that ghost makes me dread
My attempts to sleep at night, in my bed
All that moaning and groaning
Keep me awake until morning
Oh wait --- it's that couple next door, newly wed!

--- Copyright 2006 by Gatofeo

I support Rehabilitation through Reincarnation!

#34    Razadia_the_Silver

Razadia_the_Silver

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

• Following the White Rabbit can get you in trouble.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:20 AM

I've been interested in Cryptids since I was a kid. I guess you could chalk it up to too many tv shows and hearing one too many of my dad's stories from when he was a kid. Over the years it's become a fasination with figuring out what could or could not exist and why.

#35    J_T

J_T

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

It is the thrill of the unknown.  Ever since I was young I always believed that there were undiscovered species out there, whether Cryptids or not.  There is a certain excitement when you think about parts of the planet where humans have not explored.  What is there? What could be there? What has been there?  That excitement, that thrill, is what  pushes me to believe that Bigfoot, Loch Ness and other Cryptids are out there.  It would be a pretty boring world if everything was known.

To be so closed minded where a person is not open to unconventional species makes for, in my opinion, a boring life.  Curiosity is natural human trait and it is this trait that drives researchers, explorers, scientists, etc. to search for the unknown.

#36    theotherguy

theotherguy

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

• Just trying to get my post count up...

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:29 PM

Are you still working on the story, Klaus? Would it be possible to see a preview, please?

Edited by theotherguy, 22 April 2014 - 06:32 PM.

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."  --Isaac Asimov

Conspiracy theorists are created by the government to distract us from what they're really doing!!!! Or not.

#37    Catti-Brie

Catti-Brie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

• I am a loose piece of the universe that has become aware momentarily.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:35 PM

I would love to read your article. Like most of the replies, I've been interested in the paranormal since I was a child. I like to think it's because I have always sought out the unfamiliar - as in, just because there has not been absolute proof that something exhists, does not mean that it is not there (and I want to witness it!). I like to think about the possibilities, surprises, a-ha moments, etc. It's fun to wonder. I think that people who do not wonder about the paranormal are missing out.

But that is probably the adult in me talking. The very young child in me saw, or thinks she saw, a white wolf in her bedroom window, just watching me as I lay in bed. This was a reoccurrence, and I remember finally telling my dad about it. He said that was my totem, just like the Indians had, and I shouldn't be afraid. He probably thought I was  dreaming (maybe I was), but it planted the seed to be interested in the things that other people might not see and to go and find out more about guardians, totems, and familiars, then legends, folktales, and fairytales. Cryptids, in particular, are interesting to me because the natural world is so awesome to me - we have not discovered everything on this earth, and new plants, fungi, fish, birds, and animals are found all the time. I will not be so arrogant to suppose that we know, without a doubt, that 'something' like a yeti couldn't exhist. Our natural world surprises me all the time.

#38    magikgoddess

magikgoddess

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

• "To be upset over what you don't have is to waste what you do have." -Ken S. Keyes, Jr.

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:21 AM

I got interested in cryptozoology due to a natural curiosity about the world around me and my love for animals (both living & extinct).  I've been interested in the weird/unknown since I was a young child.

Also tagged with journalism, cryptozoology, reason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users