Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Strange co-incidences

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1    Monkfish

Monkfish

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

• You'll love it here Mulder every day is like Halloween.

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

Well here I am moved over from the welcome lounge. As a newbie there are things I won't know as well as things I might need to pick up as I go along so please be gentle.

I know from other forums how daunting great paragraphs of print can be, so I'll try to keep it simple. I'd appreciate your comments and any similar experiences you might be able to draw on.

I'll start with a really simple one. I hope to amaze you a bit at a time.

My oldest friend has just turned 70. We have know each other for over 50 years, always keeping in touch despite being often  living thousands of miles apart. He lived in South and North America for some years and these days lives in  Barcelona which is a long way from the Giants Causeway which is near where I live.

He shares the same birthday as my older sister. Nothing too odd in that.

His father had a dance band after the war. It was called "Reg Williams and his Music" and they played many gigs in and around Newport Shropshire.
My father had a dance band after the war it was called "Freddie Evans and his Music" and he played many gigs in and around Newport Monmouthshire.

Have a think about that and I hope if the interest is here to post some even more startling revelations next.

#2    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,609 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

That is a little strange.  Almost like twins seperated at birth who both marry women named Kate.  Do you share anything else unusual?

#3    Monkfish

Monkfish

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

I don't think so. We've enjoyed a very long friendship, he's been my best man twice, he married very late in life probably because he enjoyed the freedom to move about and finally married a Spanish lady and they have a daughter the same age as my youngest son from my second  marriage. We've always enjoyed the same interests, motor cycles, cars, water skiing, never had a cross word.  I saw him a couple of times recently once when I stayed in his house in England and then again to attend a funeral of a mutual friend. We often speak these days on Skype. It's  a bit of a strange relationship and to a degree we are a bit like brothers. I have three brothers who I hardly ever speak with. As they say you can chose your friends but you can't chose your relatives.

#4    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 5,301 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

Interesting Monkfish. I'd like to share one of mine if I may.

During high school my three closest friends were all named Douglas. My middle name is Douglas. At one time, Doug Couldwell was dating Joanne West and Doug Cousins was dating Joanne Eastman. It was a confusing time.

#5    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

I live near Newport! (shrops)

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing, 02 April 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#6    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

Synchronicity has been an interest of mine for the past several years. I find it difficult, for me, to exempt mere coincidences from what are apparently synchronous events. At the same time I am immersed (via my wife) in a household which declares, "There are no coincidences."

Just yesterday I was wondering how a good friend of mine was doing and the phone rang within seconds of that thought--it was him, just checking on how I was doing.

Several days ago I was typing/word processing at home and typed the word "seven" just as that same word was sung in a popular song on the  radio station to which I was listening.

Mathematicians usually make hash out of my synchronicities, but I find them fascinating nonetheless.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#7    Monkfish

Monkfish

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:55 PM

OK that's got me started.  But now how about this one.

I met my first wife and we were married in six months. The marriage lasted for 13 + years and we had two children.  

She had an older brother and an older sister. I had two younger brothers. I was eight years older when we met. (still am !) We had never met before the night we met. Does that make sense.

However all of us went to the same school. I left before she started. I spent 5 years in the same school class as her older sister. She spent 5 years in the same class as my youngest brother. My younger brother spent 5 years in the same class as her older brother. I was friendly for a long time with her brother, we went to football matches together all over the country. We even went to Spain on holiday a couple of times with friends. Throughout the whole of this time 17 or so years we never ever even so much as saw each other until that night when we began a relationship ending in marriage then divorce.

It goes without saying that when I first attended grammar school at the age of 11 with her sister she would have been 3. Hmmmm. don't say it please.

We all went to the same school, we all knew each other at different levels, both my brothers knew her yet our paths never crossed.

#8    BNDGK

BNDGK

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 169 posts

• "The world was hers for the reading"

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

Interesting! My best friend's name is Savannah Norton, she is dating Brandon Peterson, and has a dog named panda. My other best friends name is Savannah Jamerson, she Is dating Brandon (not sure of his last name unfortunately) and also has a dog named Panda. Savannah N.'s birthday is May 23rd, she is the younger of the two, and Savannah J.'s birthday is May 6th, she is the eldest. Kinda strange stuff.

Edited by BNDGK, 02 April 2014 - 06:06 PM.

“Still round the corner there may wait, A new road or a secret gate,
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I, Shall take the hidden paths that run,
West of the Moon, East of the Sun.”

#9    simplybill

simplybill

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

I grew up in Des Moines, Iowa, and moved away in 1976. I lived in several different states, and finally landed in Colorado in 1989. My oldest sister worked in a hospital in Des Moines, and sometimes became good friends with the patients she worked with. We rarely spoke on the phone, but one day when I was talking to her she told me that she was going with another nurse to visit a former patient who had been transferred to a nursing home.
Later, I was in the apartment complex laundry room (in Colorado) and met an elderly guy named Joe. He asked where I was from, and I told him Des Moines. He said, "I have a sister who lives in a nursing home in Des Moines." Then, without any prompting, he said, "She's expecting some visitors today." I told him, "Hold on a minute", and I went upstairs to my apartment and called my sister. You guessed it: my sister in Des Moines was going to visit Joe's sister. I had just met Joe that day, and our sisters were 800 miles away having a visit.
That experience gave me an eerie feeling that I'll probably never experience again.

Every warrior is happy when his enemies flee before him, but much more blessed is the man to whom his fiercest enemies can come with confidence, knowing beforehand they will be received with love.
Richard Wurmbrand in Reaching Toward the Heights.

#10    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,343 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:02 PM

View PostSheWomanCatTypeThing, on 02 April 2014 - 04:59 PM, said:

I live near Newport! (shrops)
do you follow Newport County?

#11    Monkfish

Monkfish

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

OK here's another one. (By the way Newport   County are in Newport Gwent / Monmouthshire).
Some years ago I was working for a manufacturer in England and we were seeking some representation in Germany. An English man who had a  company in Essen approached us and after a while we did business together. He and I even travelled to Indonesia together to buy various items. He had a reputation for being a bit of a difficult person to deal with but I seemed to get on with him fine.

One evening after a barbecue at his house and some copious amounts of German beer  we got to talking. He was originally from Cheltenham in Gloucestershire. It turned out that we had actually met three times before over the last 25 years. With neither of us having any recollection. We met on a beach after a big fight between Mods and Rockers just outside Weston Super Mare in the early sixties.  In 1969 I was working on the M5 Motorway around Gloucester for 2 years and he worked for another contractor as well as driving the cafe wagon which supplies food and drink to the workers. In 1979 I was running a restaurant  in Devon and a girl from Gloucester who worked for me entertained her ex boyfriend one weekend. He was trying to get her to come back to him. They spent quite a lot of time in the corner of the restaurant but he left empty handed. That was  him  again.
Of course when we discussed this it all came flooding back but I've always felt it to be a bit spookey.

Edited by Monkfish, 03 April 2014 - 11:25 AM.

#12    Monkfish

Monkfish

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

Well I was hoping to hear of some similar experiences, guess I'm as weird as I thought I might be.

#13    Somethings Not Right

Somethings Not Right

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

• "The more things change, the more they stay the same".. Snake Plissken

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:52 PM

View PostLikely Guy, on 02 April 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

Interesting Monkfish. I'd like to share one of mine if I may.

During high school my three closest friends were all named Douglas. My middle name is Douglas. At one time, Doug Couldwell was dating Joanne West and Doug Cousins was dating Joanne Eastman. It was a confusing time.

That's mad mate!! My names Alan, My dads name is Alan, My first serious girlfriend's dad & brother were Alans, my last serious girlfriend's dads name was Alan & I've got an uncle called Bob. How weird is that!!!

#14    Somethings Not Right

Somethings Not Right

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

• "The more things change, the more they stay the same".. Snake Plissken

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:10 AM

This is an incredible thread & these stories just keep getting weirder & weirder!

I have had a lot of strange things happen to me too like dreams that turn into real life experiences &
I'll be singing a song & then I hear it playing but the weirdest lately is my last 3 ring tones (which have been proper songs that I downloaded) have been used in adverts on TV within weeks of me using them even though they are old songs that are hardly ever played anywhere at anytime??

This is one crazy world we live in folks!!

#15    AZDZ

AZDZ

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

• Hatching soon...

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:09 AM

View PostMonkfish, on 02 April 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

His father had a dance band after the war. It was called "Reg Williams and his Music" and they played many gigs in and around Newport Shropshire.
My father had a dance band after the war it was called "Freddie Evans and his Music" and he played many gigs in and around Newport Monmouthshire.

Have a think about that and I hope if the interest is here to post some even more startling revelations next.

WHOA! Dejavu, almost. The bands titles and the city names don't match.

Edited by AZDZ, 04 April 2014 - 01:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users