Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Party drug Ketamine may cure depression?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,083 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

"The illegal party drug ketamine is an "exciting" and "dramatic" new treatment for depression, say doctors who have conducted the first trial in the UK.

Some patients who have faced incurable depression for decades have had symptoms disappear within hours of taking low doses of the drug.

The small trial on 28 people, reported in the Journal of Psychopharmacology, shows the benefits can last months.

Some responded within six hours of the first infusion of ketamine.

Lead researcher Dr Rupert McShane said: "It really is dramatic for some people, it's the sort of thing really that makes it worth doing psychiatry, it's a really wonderful thing to see.

He added: "[The patients] say 'ah this is how I used to think' and the relatives say 'we've got x back'."

Dr McShane said this included patients who had lived with depression for 20 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-26647738

Edited by seeder, 03 April 2014 - 08:51 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,676 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:03 AM

A team at Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust gave patients doses of ketamine over 40 minutes on up to six occasions.

The small trial on 28 people, reported in the Journal of Psychopharmacology, shows the benefits can last months.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-26647738

28 people, is that all? Out of thousands! And why even think about trying ketamine, its not a cure, it could be another treatment....and I stress.....another. so after the months are up, does the patient go back for some more 6  x 40 minute doses? Could get addictive!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    AliveInDeath7

AliveInDeath7

Enlightened Seeker

• 2,712 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:30 AM

I guess you don't know how bad depression can truly be freetoroam.
I never took anything because I refuse to take that ****.. It only hides your symptoms.

To actually find a way to treat depression up to 4 months is wonderful, but it would be greater if there were more subjects.

#4    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,676 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:53 AM

View PostAliveInDeath7, on 04 April 2014 - 01:30 AM, said:

I guess you don't know how bad depression can truly be freetoroam.
I never took anything because I refuse to take that ****.. It only hides your symptoms.

To actually find a way to treat depression up to 4 months is wonderful, but it would be greater if there were more subjects.
Up to 4 months and then back for more ketamine is not a cure. This research needs far more people, 28 is nothing, and far more time.
Why say I know nothing about depression,  you agree that **** only hides the symptoms and agree there should be more subjects.....do you agree that at this particular moment into the research it can not be ruled as a cure?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#5    Sir Smoke aLot

Sir Smoke aLot

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

• ... man isn't fit to live if he hasn't found something worth dying for...

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

Every substance with similar effects on people can provide a temporary feeling of joy, excitement... But what happen when its effects wear out?

U have your 'old depression' back into your face and u must face new kind of depression, the one that comes as result of that unusual 'high'. U was feeling great and the next moment u are 'back to reality'. I would suggest this method only to my worst enemies, but would feel sry for them tbh. Using drugs to make you feel better is a doublesided sword and its not natural, everyone have enough power in them to get out of depression, it is hard, true, but harder it is more proud of result u will be at the end.

...If you’re thinking like everyone else, then you aren’t thinking...

#6    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

View PostSir Smoke aLot, on 04 April 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

everyone have enough power in them to get out of depression, it is hard, true, but harder it is more proud of result u will be at the end.

What if you have a physical inability to produce enough dopamine/serotonin? Imagine being literally incapable of being happy. That being said, I would highly recommend that before you think about trying anti-depressants, try and get your brain to a "0" starting point. By that I mean make sure you are giving your brain the proper nutrition first - you can't run your car on low oil and complain when there are rattling sounds under the hood.

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#7    Sir Smoke aLot

Sir Smoke aLot

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

View PostDark_Grey, on 04 April 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

What if you have a physical inability to produce enough dopamine/serotonin?

Isnt there a better way, without ketamine? Chemicals are bad for health, it might help those people but there are many side-effects, and also not everyone reacts the same.

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:00 AM

View PostSir Smoke aLot, on 07 April 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

Isnt there a better way, without ketamine? Chemicals are bad for health, it might help those people but there are many side-effects, and also not everyone reacts the same.
Side effects need to be watched for but not to the point of paranoia.

#9    Sir Smoke aLot

Sir Smoke aLot

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 07 April 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:

Side effects need to be watched for but not to the point of paranoia.

Its a drug ( in same terms as cocaine for example ) and most of people will react positively, its a fact. If u give it to depressed guy... What can u expect most likely?

That is main reason why i think there are better ways then using similar stuff for people in need. What can we expect in 20 years from now, if ketamine gets its medical use, heroine or crack to be good for some allergy ?

#10    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,499 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

View PostSir Smoke aLot, on 07 April 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

Its a drug ( in same terms as cocaine for example ) and most of people will react positively, its a fact. If u give it to depressed guy... What can u expect most likely?

That is main reason why i think there are better ways then using similar stuff for people in need. What can we expect in 20 years from now, if ketamine gets its medical use, heroine or crack to be good for some allergy ?

You keep saying there "are better ways" - like what? Pharmaceuticals? There are only so many ways to fix a chemical imbalance in the brain.

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#11    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• 1,614 posts

• "If you can't say something nice, be creative."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

Ketamine has been used in the US as an analgesic (for pain relief) with terminally ill Hospice patients. The prescribing doctor described it (for the layperson) as "re-setting" the pain sensors in the brain. If this is its usual effect, ketamine might yet prove revolutionary in the treatment of unmitigated pain at the end of life.

I have heard of its "street" ("party") use, but my only experience of it has been with Hospice patients.

In literature, Hunter S. Thompson ("Dr. Gonzo") was known to have experimented with this substance. Like most of his personal experiments, it was entertaining, but inconclusive.

Edited by DeWitz, 07 April 2014 - 12:47 PM.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#12    Sir Smoke aLot

Sir Smoke aLot

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 07 April 2014 - 12:46 PM, said:

You keep saying there "are better ways" - like what? Pharmaceuticals? There are only so many ways to fix a chemical imbalance in the brain.

Chamical imbalance sounds serious but are we talking about that 'chemical imbalance' as a result of depression? Or some other cause? If it was caused by depressive state of mind then there is perfect cure for it - change life style and spend time in place far away from 'civilization'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users