Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Could Noah's Ark have really happened ?

• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

Scientists have calculated that fitting two of every animal on the ark may have actually been feasible.

Whether or not you believe that the events in the biblical tale of Noah\'s Ark literally happened, few could argue that the story has been subjected to a lot more scrutiny than most.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...really-happened

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,344 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

No details how these 35,000 - 70,000 animals would survive. I mean I could fit a person or two in a fridge, but they aren't going to live all that long.

#3    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,718 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:56 PM

POPULAR

View PostUM-Bot, on 05 April 2014 - 03:40 PM, said:

Scientists have calculated that fitting two of every animal on the ark may have actually been feasible.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...really-happened

Evidently the students at the University of Leicester weren't paying very close attention as Genesis 7:2 (KJV) says that it was 7 pairs (14) of clean beasts and 2 pairs (4) of unclean beasts. Just in "clean beasts" alone that is 490,000 animals. I'd say their boat has sunk.

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt, 05 April 2014 - 04:00 PM.

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#4    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,088 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

Physicists think they know everything.  If you actually read some of the studies and tests done by naval engineers, you pretty quickly realize that not only would the ark not float, it would break apart under its own weight the second it started to become buoyant.  Not to mention, Noah would have had to have been the greatest timber baron in the history of the planet to get enough wood to build the damned thing.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#5    mxcx

mxcx

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

So, these "scientists" are considering ALL of the possibilities and that is their argument? Did all of these animals fit on a boat? Since they are scientists, I would think it would be their duty to consider all theoretical options, including a DNA bank versus EVERY animal on earth walking towards this big wooden boat. THis does not mean I am talking people from other planets, for as we already know, there was a technology supreme to our own many thousands of years ago here on Earth. These ideas are laughable, right? It doesn't stop it from being a theoretical possibility, and they are scientists. If science stopped investigating things because naysayers around them doubt an idea and mock them, then we would not have half the technology we have now.

#6    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 14,508 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

The sound of mocking seems to have become increasingly shrill just in the last few years.  We've become so very wise that we don't even need to consider such children's stories :)  Funny thing is that at the same time more people are believing a great catastrophe is just over the horizon, they're just not sure how it can be avoided.  Truth is it can't and soon enough people will be begging others to tell them how they can escape it all.  I wonder how many will begin to wonder about those "children's stories" then?

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#7    simplybill

simplybill

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

I didn't see a link to the original article.
I'm wondering if the calculations where based on fully matured animals or newborns. That would be a difference in size and weight of about 90% or more.

#8    IBelieveWhatIWant

IBelieveWhatIWant

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:41 PM

I DO NOT BELIEVE IN ANY WAY THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED, JUST SPEAKING MY MIND ON A SITUATION.

Now with that disclosure out of the way

The only feasible way a type of "Noah's Ark" could have been possible is as the tv show (I believe it was this show) "Ancient Aliens" put it. It would have been a sort of DNA bank. Forget fitting all of the animals on the boat how about rounding them up. Separating all the non compatible species. Making the the enclosures were large enough for EACH animal to comfortably live. Room for all the food...Basically a literal Noah's Ark has never happened.

#9    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,088 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:49 PM

View Postand then, on 05 April 2014 - 04:27 PM, said:

The sound of mocking seems to have become increasingly shrill just in the last few years.  We've become so very wise that we don't even need to consider such children's stories :)  Funny thing is that at the same time more people are believing a great catastrophe is just over the horizon, they're just not sure how it can be avoided.  Truth is it can't and soon enough people will be begging others to tell them how they can escape it all.  I wonder how many will begin to wonder about those "children's stories" then?

In my experience, the ones believing "such children's stories" and the ones believing in a great catastrophe are one and the same.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#10    Philangeli

Philangeli

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

• Develop a mind which rests on no thing whatsoever

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:49 PM

Obviously, great catastrophes have happened throughout earth's history, and will continue to happen.

It is possible that there may have been a great flood at some point and a few humans survived.

Unless Noah had a lot of supernatural help from the big guy with the white beard upstairs, I don't think it very credible that he could have trapped a male and female of every species of animal on the planet and kept them alive on his hand-made boat for 40 days and 40 nights (or however long it was).

How did he get to Australia, for example, to get the kangaroos and koala bears - in a hot air balloon? It must have been an amazing global journey - catching polar bears and walruses in the Arctic, penguins in the Antarctic, rare frogs and humming birds in the Amazon jungle, orangutans in Borneo. I wonder how he knew where to go?

And then, when he was on the ark, look at the logistics - mucking out the elephants every day; feeding the lions and tigers raw meat, etc. Did he stock up with bamboo for the giant pandas?

And, what if one of the animals was gay?

These are serious questions which should be addressed.

Edited by Philangeli, 05 April 2014 - 05:29 PM.

Philangeli

“When thoughts arise, then do all things arise. When thoughts vanish, then do all things vanish.” Huang Po

#11    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,295 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

Here's some sensible interesting pages on Noah and his ark:
www.noahs-ark-flood.com/index.html

And frequently asked questions from the same author:
http://www.noahs-ark-flood.com/faq.htm

Edit: added the word 'sensible'.

Edited by StarMountainKid, 05 April 2014 - 05:15 PM.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#12    simplybill

simplybill

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 05 April 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

Evidently the students at the University of Leicester weren't paying very close attention as Genesis 7:2 (KJV) says that it was 7 pairs (14) of clean beasts and 2 pairs (4) of unclean beasts. Just in "clean beasts" alone that is 490,000 animals. I'd say their boat has sunk.
Genesis 7:2 says, "You shall take with you of every clean animal by sevens...", so three breeding pairs plus an extra.
Considering that the "average" size of the animal population is equal to a large goat or sheep, and the Ark's capacity of 1.5 million cubic feet, there would have been sufficient space for a very large number of newborn and non-mature animals.
Archaeologists have shown the degree to which mathematics and engineering were used to build such structures as the Sphinx and the Great Pyramid. It's conceivable that Noah himself had the engineering skills to produce the vessel described in the bible.

Edited by simplybill, 05 April 2014 - 05:22 PM.

Every warrior is happy when his enemies flee before him, but much more blessed is the man to whom his fiercest enemies can come with confidence, knowing beforehand they will be received with love.
Richard Wurmbrand in Reaching Toward the Heights.

#13    _Only

_Only

• 6,663 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:27 PM

View PostUM-Bot, on 05 April 2014 - 03:40 PM, said:

In other news, scientist have been hard at work at mapping the molecular structure of allegories.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#14    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 16,068 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:27 PM

The title of the article, and the title of this thread, are misleading.

The graduate students only calculated the ark would be bouyant - not that the animals could have all fit on board it.

The headline "the ark could have happened" is just sensationalism to get people to read the story.

Edited by Leonardo, 05 April 2014 - 05:28 PM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#15    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,718 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

View Postsimplybill, on 05 April 2014 - 05:18 PM, said:

Genesis 7:2 says, "You shall take with you of every clean animal by sevens...", so three breeding pairs plus an extra.
Considering that the "average" size of the animal population is equal to a large goat or sheep, and the Ark's capacity of 1.5 million cubic feet, there would have been sufficient space for a very large number of newborn and non-mature animals.
Archaeologists have shown the degree to which mathematics and engineering were used to build such structures as the Great Sphinx and the Great Pyramid. It's conceivable that Noah himself had the engineering skills to produce the vessel described in the bible.

That would be incorrect since it also says "the male and his female" which could only mean pairs, at a minimum, and not 7 individuals. That is, unless you'd like to claim that the 7th animal was an hermaphrodite. :D

Even with the average size being equal to a large goat or sheep you're still not going to get 490,000+ animals, minimum, on Noah's Ark.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users