Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could Noah's Ark have really happened ?

UM-Bot

Scientists have calculated that fitting two of every animal on the ark may have actually been feasible.

Whether or not you believe that the events in the biblical tale of Noah\'s Ark literally happened, few could argue that the story has been subjected to a lot more scrutiny than most.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/264701/could-noahs-ark-have-really-happened

No details how these 35,000 - 70,000 animals would survive. I mean I could fit a person or two in a fridge, but they aren't going to live all that long.

• Like 9

Physicists think they know everything. If you actually read some of the studies and tests done by naval engineers, you pretty quickly realize that not only would the ark not float, it would break apart under its own weight the second it started to become buoyant. Not to mention, Noah would have had to have been the greatest timber baron in the history of the planet to get enough wood to build the damned thing.

• Like 7

So, these "scientists" are considering ALL of the possibilities and that is their argument? Did all of these animals fit on a boat? Since they are scientists, I would think it would be their duty to consider all theoretical options, including a DNA bank versus EVERY animal on earth walking towards this big wooden boat. THis does not mean I am talking people from other planets, for as we already know, there was a technology supreme to our own many thousands of years ago here on Earth. These ideas are laughable, right? It doesn't stop it from being a theoretical possibility, and they are scientists. If science stopped investigating things because naysayers around them doubt an idea and mock them, then we would not have half the technology we have now.

• Like 2

The sound of mocking seems to have become increasingly shrill just in the last few years. We've become so very wise that we don't even need to consider such children's stories :) Funny thing is that at the same time more people are believing a great catastrophe is just over the horizon, they're just not sure how it can be avoided. Truth is it can't and soon enough people will be begging others to tell them how they can escape it all. I wonder how many will begin to wonder about those "children's stories" then?

• Like 3

I didn't see a link to the original article.

I'm wondering if the calculations where based on fully matured animals or newborns. That would be a difference in size and weight of about 90% or more.

• Like 2

I DO NOT BELIEVE IN ANY WAY THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED, JUST SPEAKING MY MIND ON A SITUATION.

Now with that disclosure out of the way

The only feasible way a type of "Noah's Ark" could have been possible is as the tv show (I believe it was this show) "Ancient Aliens" put it. It would have been a sort of DNA bank. Forget fitting all of the animals on the boat how about rounding them up. Separating all the non compatible species. Making the the enclosures were large enough for EACH animal to comfortably live. Room for all the food...Basically a literal Noah's Ark has never happened.

• Like 2

The sound of mocking seems to have become increasingly shrill just in the last few years. We've become so very wise that we don't even need to consider such children's stories :) Funny thing is that at the same time more people are believing a great catastrophe is just over the horizon, they're just not sure how it can be avoided. Truth is it can't and soon enough people will be begging others to tell them how they can escape it all. I wonder how many will begin to wonder about those "children's stories" then?

In my experience, the ones believing "such children's stories" and the ones believing in a great catastrophe are one and the same.

• Like 9

Obviously, great catastrophes have happened throughout earth's history, and will continue to happen.

It is possible that there may have been a great flood at some point and a few humans survived.

Unless Noah had a lot of supernatural help from the big guy with the white beard upstairs, I don't think it very credible that he could have trapped a male and female of every species of animal on the planet and kept them alive on his hand-made boat for 40 days and 40 nights (or however long it was).

How did he get to Australia, for example, to get the kangaroos and koala bears - in a hot air balloon? It must have been an amazing global journey - catching polar bears and walruses in the Arctic, penguins in the Antarctic, rare frogs and humming birds in the Amazon jungle, orangutans in Borneo. I wonder how he knew where to go?

And then, when he was on the ark, look at the logistics - mucking out the elephants every day; feeding the lions and tigers raw meat, etc. Did he stock up with bamboo for the giant pandas?

And, what if one of the animals was gay?

These are serious questions which should be addressed.

Edited by Philangeli
  • Like 3

Here's some sensible interesting pages on Noah and his ark:

www.noahs-ark-flood.com/index.html

And frequently asked questions from the same author:

http://www.noahs-ark-flood.com/faq.htm

Edit: added the word 'sensible'.

Edited by StarMountainKid
  • Like 1

Evidently the students at the University of Leicester weren't paying very close attention as Genesis 7:2 (KJV) says that it was 7 pairs (14) of clean beasts and 2 pairs (4) of unclean beasts. Just in "clean beasts" alone that is 490,000 animals. I'd say their boat has sunk.

Genesis 7:2 says, "You shall take with you of every clean animal by sevens...", so three breeding pairs plus an extra.

Considering that the "average" size of the animal population is equal to a large goat or sheep, and the Ark's capacity of 1.5 million cubic feet, there would have been sufficient space for a very large number of newborn and non-mature animals.

Archaeologists have shown the degree to which mathematics and engineering were used to build such structures as the Sphinx and the Great Pyramid. It's conceivable that Noah himself had the engineering skills to produce the vessel described in the bible.

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 1

Scientists have calculated that fitting two of every animal on the ark may have actually been feasible.

In other news, scientist have been hard at work at mapping the molecular structure of allegories.

• Like 4

The title of the article, and the title of this thread, are misleading.

The graduate students only calculated the ark would be bouyant - not that the animals could have all fit on board it.

The headline "the ark could have happened" is just sensationalism to get people to read the story.

Edited by Leonardo

Genesis 7:2 says, "You shall take with you of every clean animal by sevens...", so three breeding pairs plus an extra.

Considering that the "average" size of the animal population is equal to a large goat or sheep, and the Ark's capacity of 1.5 million cubic feet, there would have been sufficient space for a very large number of newborn and non-mature animals.

Archaeologists have shown the degree to which mathematics and engineering were used to build such structures as the Great Sphinx and the Great Pyramid. It's conceivable that Noah himself had the engineering skills to produce the vessel described in the bible.

That would be incorrect since it also says "the male and his female" which could only mean pairs, at a minimum, and not 7 individuals. That is, unless you'd like to claim that the 7th animal was an hermaphrodite. :D

Even with the average size being equal to a large goat or sheep you're still not going to get 490,000+ animals, minimum, on Noah's Ark.

cormac

That would be incorrect since it also says "the male and his female" which could only mean pairs, at a minimum, and not 7 individuals.

Ben Masada would be able to comment on this better than I can, but I'll give it a shot: Seeing as how animal sacrifice was the standard of the day, Jewish people would understand that the 7th animal was added so as not to deplete the stock of breeding animals.

I might have missed something here, but I thought the whole notion of Noah taking animals onto the ark was a primitive attempt to explain how animals survived the supposed flood (apart from the fish, crabs, etc).

The whole concept is based on: the flood killed all land dwelling life. So, how come there is lots of land dwelling life now? Doh, well humans survived - Noah built a boat and lived on it. But what about all the animals that are living now? Doh, well Noah must have brought all the animals onto his boat, in pairs, so they could breed later when the water went down.

But, what about all the millions of animals, birds, amphibians, insects, arachnids, bacteria, etc, existing all over the planet, most of which were totally unknown to the Israelites? Doh, don't know. Doh, thought animals just meant a few cows and chickens. Doh!

What century, or rather, epoch, are some of you guys living in? :)

Edited by Philangeli
  • Like 2

Too bad he didn't get the unicorns. Amazing how he got the raccoons, polar bears, skunks, lamas, and panthers from the Americas, but not the unicorns.

http://youtu.be/eD90xcg6UaA

Or dragons.

• Like 5

The ark was a spaceship that was built to store just the DNA from 2 of every animal so it didn't need to be that big, god was an alien

• Like 2

Ben Masada would be able to comment on this better than I can, but I'll give it a shot: Seeing as how animal sacrifice was the standard of the day, Jewish people would understand that the 7th animal was added so as not to deplete the stock of breeding animals.

Which is not supported by what Genesis 7:2 says. And since it says, in part, "Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female" then there is no reason IMO for it to be interpreted as 7 single animals, but shoud mean 7 pairs (male and female).

cormac

Perhaps the Noah story is exaggerated like many myth stories are. Perhaps old Noah built a boat big enough to handle his livestock and his family during the ending of the ice age. Maybe the area where he was at (and the people around him) was situated in a valley. Something happened and flooded the valley and Noah's group was safe. That's my theory.

• Like 5

Perhaps the Noah story is exaggerated like many myth stories are. Perhaps old Noah built a boat big enough to handle his livestock and his family during the ending of the ice age. Maybe the area where he was at (and the people around him) was situated in a valley. Something happened and flooded the valley and Noah's group was safe. That's my theory.

I agree with your theory which is the most sensible I've read on this post,Noah would have a limited travel range of a few miles radius of his home,and would never have seen or even heard of Polar Bears, Kangaroo's and other such animals,but as you say, myths and legends tend to "grow" depending on who is telling the story.Cheers.
  • Like 1

To me it was the only way I could actually understand how it could have happened. I have similar theory on why Samson was so strong. I think that perhaps he had a myostatin deficiency that caused him to be incredibly strong. If I remember correctly Hebrew infants were bound in cloth to help make them strong/limbs grow straight (or something like that). If this is so, then Samson did a lot of isometrics and as a young boy would have had to do work in the fields. So he would have been rather stout. Sorry for going off topic.

To me it was the only way I could actually understand how it could have happened. I have similar theory on why Samson was so strong. I think that perhaps he had a myostatin deficiency that caused him to be incredibly strong. If I remember correctly Hebrew infants were bound in cloth to help make them strong/limbs grow straight (or something like that). If this is so, then Samson did a lot of isometrics and as a young boy would have had to do work in the fields. So he would have been rather stout. Sorry for going off topic.

Yep and maybe the same flood sunk Atlantis.I've often wondered whether the Mediterranean used to be dry land until it was breached at the Straits of Gibralter by a huge Tsunami a few millennia ago.

That could explain why we're finding sunken ruins in the ocean. Great civilizations that existed during the ice age were sunk when everything started melting.

• Like 1