Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Women May Get Right To Fight On Front Line

general sir peter wall women fight front line army combat roles

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:14 AM

Thanato, yes I am aware of what the combat support roles are. But the title of this thread is about women "fighting" on the front lines. This is the role of the Infantry; "To close with and destroy the enemy". I don't see any Canadian females in this role. Officers, and especially commanders, are not expected to fight, they have better things to do.

#17    Thanato

Thanato

Alien Abducter

• 5,161 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:23 AM

View Postredhen, on 09 April 2014 - 12:14 AM, said:

Thanato, yes I am aware of what the combat support roles are. But the title of this thread is about women "fighting" on the front lines. This is the role of the Infantry; "To close with and destroy the enemy". I don't see any Canadian females in this role. Officers, and especially commanders, are not expected to fight, they have better things to do.

We do have few female infantry in the Regular force, far more in the Reserve Force. But as stated I worked with a female infanteer over seas, and there is articles of female infantry in Afghanistan. According to this article http://news.national...hanistan-study/ over 310 Women served in the combat arm including the infantry. During Canada's Combat mission in afghanistan.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#18    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:05 AM

"In Afghanistan, for example, 83 women served in the infantry,"

Well I'll be. I'm not sure if that's progress or not though. Of course, that's just my opinion.

#19    Border Collie

Border Collie

Just testing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

• Schrodinger's dog

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

Is this perceived to be an advance? Have women being pushing for the right to be blown up, shot or hideously mutilated? Just think how much longer the 1914-18 war could have lasted if we could have sent another few million young women to the trenches to die.

Ah civilisation. Still just a theory!

#20    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,607 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:56 PM

The main reason women aren't allowed to fight on the front line alongside men isn't because they're unqualified(guns make women a viable combat force, unlike the old days with swords), it is because men will become distracted and make bad choices trying to protect them, and I'm sure there's a few men who will try to rape them.  It's just a part of most cultures and human natures.  Now if they were to make all female fighting units, I don't see anything wrong with that.

#21    Thanato

Thanato

Alien Abducter

• 5,161 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

View PostWickian, on 12 April 2014 - 09:56 PM, said:

The main reason women aren't allowed to fight on the front line alongside men isn't because they're unqualified(guns make women a viable combat force, unlike the old days with swords), it is because men will become distracted and make bad choices trying to protect them, and I'm sure there's a few men who will try to rape them.  It's just a part of most cultures and human natures.  Now if they were to make all female fighting units, I don't see anything wrong with that.

This has not been the case in nations which allow women in combat roles and have been in sustained combat operations.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

#22    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

View PostBorder Collie, on 12 April 2014 - 05:15 PM, said:

Is this perceived to be an advance? Have women being pushing for the right to be blown up, shot or hideously mutilated? Just think how much longer the 1914-18 war could have lasted if we could have sent another few million young women to the trenches to die.

Ah civilisation. Still just a theory!
Women wanted to be on the front line though, so being pushing is the wrong term there

#23    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,607 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:44 PM

View PostThanato, on 13 April 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

This has not been the case in nations which allow women in combat roles and have been in sustained combat operations.
Have these countries had women in any large numbers on the front lines, or just small token numbers like the 83 listed above?  I've never looked it up so I don't know, but I would be surprised if it worked without years of troops being conditioned to leave a woman they may have a crush on to die if the situation calls for it.

#24    Thanato

Thanato

Alien Abducter

• 5,161 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

View PostWickian, on 14 April 2014 - 09:44 PM, said:

Have these countries had women in any large numbers on the front lines, or just small token numbers like the 83 listed above?  I've never looked it up so I don't know, but I would be surprised if it worked without years of troops being conditioned to leave a woman they may have a crush on to die if the situation calls for it.

Conditioning? We are trained to never leave anyone behind. They arnt token numbers, they are the ones who made it through training.

If a woman can do the job, let them!

#25    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:31 PM

I had my suspicions, and now it's confirmed. This is the reason females should not be allowed in the military.

For such a tiny force that Canada has; "In a report after a months-long investigation, L’actualité claims that five people in the Canadian military community are sexually assaulted every day."

"According to statistics obtained through access to information law, the scathing L’actualité report says military police have received between 134 and 201 complaints of sexual assaults every year since 2000. That averages out to 178 complaints per year. The article says experts agree that hundreds of other cases are ignored. Given that fewer than one in 10 sexual assaults are disclosed to authorities, as estimated by Statistics Canada, that adds up to 1,780 incidents a year in the military, the article concludes, or five per day."

#26    Thanato

Thanato

Alien Abducter

• 5,161 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

View Postredhen, on 25 April 2014 - 01:31 PM, said:

I had my suspicions, and now it's confirmed. This is the reason females should not be allowed in the military.

For such a tiny force that Canada has; "In a report after a months-long investigation, L’actualité claims that five people in the Canadian military community are sexually assaulted every day."

"According to statistics obtained through access to information law, the scathing L’actualité report says military police have received between 134 and 201 complaints of sexual assaults every year since 2000. That averages out to 178 complaints per year. The article says experts agree that hundreds of other cases are ignored. Given that fewer than one in 10 sexual assaults are disclosed to authorities, as estimated by Statistics Canada, that adds up to 1,780 incidents a year in the military, the article concludes, or five per day."

Yeaaaa I am kinda curious how there is an epidemic like that yet no one I know (including a lot of women) have hear of it?

#27    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

Is the concept of "necessity" any part of this equation? In guerilla armies/forces of national liberation, women have often been allowed to participate in frontline combat on a 'regular' basis (for irregular armies). At least part of the reason for that is necessity of humanpower in order to fight adequately.

In the US much is being said about the all-volunteer army not being adequate for future warmaking; or at least for being unequal in regards to allowed roles for women. Could it be that the insistence on wider participation by women is part of the bigger issue of needing more warm bodies?

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#28    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

View PostThanato, on 25 April 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

Yeaaaa I am kinda curious how there is an epidemic like that yet no one I know (including a lot of women) have hear of it?

There's a difference between anecdotal evidence and statistics.

Edited by redhen, 25 April 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#29    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

View PostDeWitz, on 25 April 2014 - 02:22 PM, said:

Is the concept of "necessity" any part of this equation?

I don't believe it is. If they were that desperate for warm bodies they would reinstate the draft. This is pure political correctness.

#30    No Censorship

No Censorship

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:50 AM

View PostThanato, on 08 April 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

Works for the Canadian Army. We have all trades open to women. Enlisted or with a Queen's Commission.

Do they fight in the front lines? Keep PC out of the military.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users