Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

LHC Begins Long Restart

lhc large hadron collider cern

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,303 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

To prepare humanity's most complex machine for its next round of awesome physics, it's not simply a question of flicking the 'on' switch.

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) near Geneva, Switzerland, has begun its long restart process after being powered down in February 2013 for repairs and upgrades. The whole startup process isn't expected to be complete until early 2015.

http://news.discover...#mkcpgn=rssnws1

Posted Image

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,056 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:54 PM

And I thought my old clunker of a desktop was slow to start up...

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

Also tagged with lhc, large hadron collider, cern

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users