Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Demons: Evil Beings or Just Minor Deities?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,559 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:56 AM

I was surprised that most people don't know the original meaning of the word 'demon'. It simply meant lesser deities. No more no less.

Rather than seeing the world as ruled by one single supreme God and his angels under his command, we can contemplate on innumerable number of so many deities, without really naming them. Or...should we even set boundaries between each of them? Am I the only one that sees old school religions as fanboy playthings for ancient people? Probably theologians were modern equivalent of D&D rulebook writers, since everything revolved around religion and so was entertainment.

So, eventually the boundary between monotheism and polytheism becomes very vague. Anything wrong with that? Maybe the only bad thing is that it can confuse whole lot of laypeople.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#2    Whisperer

Whisperer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• "Never challenge the Universe for it will respond"

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:02 AM

Saw an image in a thread or net post from an archaic culture, of a cup or plaque showing demons paying homage to an earthly ruler, maybe Egyptian and they looked like folk with a lion head!
But they were described as demons or named as such....

I be Ra...The river of life, the ebb and flow of summer tides...
Make not an image of me, nor offer unto me the limitations of form...
For I be Soul....and I will not be limited...

#3    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,745 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:40 AM

I take option C: A great excuse for those who don't want to admit their mental health issues.  Also good for cheap horror screenplays.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#4    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 27,312 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

I haven't got my resources on me right now to clarify your position. I'd like to go to the source to see what it had to say. But since I can't, can you provide links and sources that I may be able to further read on this?

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#5    Jilliman

Jilliman

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

I've searched for names of demons online and I've found some share the names of various deities from other religions. I suppose that's how the belief originated. False gods and renegade angels against Yahweh. Makes sense.
Not saying I believe in demons or god though.

#6    jamesjr191

jamesjr191

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

• S*** happens, again and again.

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

Heres a boat load of names.

http://en.wikipedia....ological_demons

I created the Sound of Madness.

Wrote the book on pain.

Somehow I'm still here,

To explain,

When you gonna wake up and fight... for yourself?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users