Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Human 'missing link' fossils may be jumble

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 37,146 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:13 PM

New Scientist said:

'
ONE of our closest long-lost relatives may never have existed. The fossils of Australopithecus sediba, which promised to rewrite the story of human evolution, may actually be the remains of two species jumbled together.

The first fossils of A. sediba were foundPosted Image at Malapa, South Africa, in 2008. At 2 million years old, they show a mix of features, some similar to the ape-like australopithecines, others more like our genus, Homo. To its discoverers, this hotchpotch means A. sediba was becoming human, and that the Homo genus first evolved in South Africa, not east Africa as is generally thought.

But a new analysis suggests A. sediba didn't exist. "I think there are two different hominin genera represented at Malapa," says Ella Been at Tel Aviv University in Israel. One is an Australopithecus and one an early Homo. We can't yet tell if the australopithecine remains are distinct enough to call them a new species, Been says.

Read more

Edited by questionmark, 09 April 2014 - 05:13 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 15,319 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

At least they're checking.

#3    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 17,310 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:50 PM

A. sediba is not a 'missing link' as other, earlier, fossils categorised into the family Homo have been recovered from sites in East Africa. A. sediba was likely an example of the continued evolution of the line of Australopithicines after the divergence of Homo from that lineage. Homo habilis was at least a contemporary of A. sediba, and fossils of H. habilis have been found which predate those assigned to A. sediba. The last common ancestor of both the Homo and Australopithicine lineages is thought to be A. afarensis.

That does not to say that Professor Been is not correct, and what has been identified as A. sediba may be an admixture of separate species, but it does address the misleading byline that A. sediba "promised to rewrite the story of human evolution". That was never the case.

Edited by Leonardo, 09 April 2014 - 05:50 PM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#4    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,773 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

I think the phrase "missing link" should be banned in conversations about human evolution. Its so meaningless, and we've come on so far since it was coined.

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users