Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Obamacare's next big surprise

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,437 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:28 PM

Obamacare's next big surprise is just starting to come to light and it is,basically, that is you didn't buy insurance before teh deadline, you are out of luck until the end of teh year.  Period.  The markets are closed so that there could be some stability in the risk pools. It is the only way insurance can work.

A life changing event like marriage, loss of a job, a new baby, etc. will allow you to purchase a policy but the rest of you folks are out of luck.  Short term insurance is, of course, available but that will cost you dearly.  So who may be looking for insurance in teh intervening mnths between Mach 31st and teh next open enrollment at teh end of teh year?  Sick people of course and what a headline that will make  on Drudge or Fox or some other media source not beholden to the Obama regime.

http://www.foxnews.c...578774735426773

Latest ObamaCare surprise: Most won't be able to buy health insurance until end of year

Posted Image

By Jim Angle Published April 09, 2014
FoxNews.com

There is yet another ObamaCare surprise waiting for consumers: from now until the next open enrollment at the end of this year, most people will simply not be able to buy any health insurance at all, even outside the exchanges.
"It's all closed down. You cannot buy a policy that is a qualified policy for the purpose of the ACA (the Affordable Care Act) until next year on January 1," says John DiVito, president of Flexbenefit which has 2,500 brokers.
John Goodman of the National Center for Policy Analysis in Dallas adds, "People are not going to be able to buy individual and family policies, and that's part of ObamaCare. And what makes it so surprising is the whole point of ObamaCare was to encourage people to get insurance, and now the market has been completely closed down for the next seven months."
That means that with few exceptions, tens of millions of people will be locked out of the health insurance market for the rest of this year.
Only about one in four subsidy-eligible people signed up for health insurance," says Robert Laszewski of Health Policy Associates. "That means about 13 million subsidy-eligible people have not yet signed up for health insurance."

Add to that millions more who waited, or thought the policies under ObamaCare were too expensive and decided just to pay the tax penalty.

Although those who failed to buy insurance during the enrollment period could face a government penalty, most will not have to pay that penalty until they do their taxes next year.
“In all likelihood," says Laszewski, "we've only signed up somewhere between one in five and one in seven people who were uninsured prior to the start of ObamaCare."

That means millions are left outside the health insurance market. There is short term insurance, but anyone with a pre-existing condition can be turned down.

Article continues here:  http://www.foxnews.c...578774735426773

Edited by Merc14, 09 April 2014 - 06:30 PM.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#2    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 5,370 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:50 PM

sounds like open enrolment time in any company that provides you with ins.

wasn't ACA supposed to make sure no one would be denied with pre-existing condition ??? but they also said you could keep your policy, that was a lie. lol

RESIDENT TROLL.

#3    Agent0range

Agent0range

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

Yup, open enrollment, which is what all insurance companies do...

#4    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,437 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

Yes, open enrollment but for everyone in the country.  This is a first and was not something that they talked about while selling this thing.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#5    Agent0range

Agent0range

Psychic Spy

• 1,256 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

View PostMerc14, on 09 April 2014 - 07:08 PM, said:

Yes, open enrollment but for everyone in the country.  This is a first and was not something that they talked about while selling this thing.

I think you are confused.  I think this may be the 8000th time someone told you this..but Obamacare is not insurance.  It is a way to link the uninsured with an insurance company.  Insurance companies still have their open enrollment.  I mean, truthfully, is it really that shocking to you?

#6    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,437 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

View PostAgent0range, on 09 April 2014 - 07:11 PM, said:

I think you are confused.  I think this may be the 8000th time someone told you this..but Obamacare is not insurance.  It is a way to link the uninsured with an insurance company.  Insurance companies still have their open enrollment.  I mean, truthfully, is it really that shocking to you?

I understand what Obamacare is and how it works but open enrollment is not a universal as it is now.  Your company may have open enrollment but if you wanted to buy insurance outside those bounds, in oother words, on your own then you could easily do so.  That is no longer the case because the giovernment is running HOW the insurance companies now conduct all their business.  Is that shocking to you?  You act as if the government isn't running this thing and is just a neutral observer yet the CBO just upped the ante of what it will cost to 2 trillion dollars, a far cry from the $900 Billion it was originally sold as costing?  Do you know how the CBO came up with their initial estimates?.

#7    Agent0range

Agent0range

Psychic Spy

• 1,256 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

So did you expect people to be outraged by an open enrollment period?  You had to have had an end game here.  I for one am not outraged by an open enrollment period, as I deal with it every single year.

#8    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 5,370 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:43 PM

well, before ACA you could buy ins at anytime, if you were not getting it at work, not only in november,  and you did not get fined if you did not.  now what was the reason it was implemented in a first place? allegedly to help unisnsured to get insurance. what did we get so far? millions policies were dropped, despite promises they could keep their policy. now keep in mind ACA did not only mandated you to buy ins. and regulates ins. comp how to do buissnes, but it also expended medicaid, out of 7M signed up, how many of those never had a policy before? and how many had to buy a new one cuz their was dropped due to ACa standarts??? now we also have 3 millions new medicaid customers. so how many of those that  ACA was made for, never had ins. before,  got policys  now in reality??   lol. try to get an aswer like that from them.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#9    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,437 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:16 AM

View PostAgent0range, on 09 April 2014 - 07:23 PM, said:

So did you expect people to be outraged by an open enrollment period?  You had to have had an end game here.  I for one am not outraged by an open enrollment period, as I deal with it every single year.

Of course you aren't, you are a proponent of this disaster.   How does it feel to be backing one of the most unpopular programs in history and to have been so completely wrong in your choices?   BTW, it is going to get even worse when all the really punishing mandates that Obama has put off, in hopes of salvaging the next elections, kick in.   You not being outraged isn't a surprise.

#10    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,495 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:43 AM

View Postaztek, on 09 April 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

sounds like open enrolment time in any company that provides you with ins.

Yeah, it is.

#11    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,437 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:59 AM

View PostStartraveler, on 10 April 2014 - 12:43 AM, said:

Yeah, it is.

Hmm, not really star, see, your boys in the regime have been crowing about how freeing Obamacare is, that you can leave your job and start up that little business you always wanted and still be covered.  I know, stupid rationalizing, something liberals do allteh time to justify their insanity.  The thing is, that is another lie because now when Cindy Lou the lefty flake quits her job to start Cindy's apothecary and tattoo parlor and goes to get that healthcare Biden said she could always have, she can't!

When Cindy Lou the lefty flake heads back to get her old job and benefits back the boss says no because he can't afford anymore 40 hour/week employees (plus he is glad to be rid of the litigious Cindy Lou the lefty flake and her war on women mantra)

How is that the same as before Obamacare, when you could leave your job, start a business, call up BC & BS and get a policy anytime?

#12    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,495 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:12 AM

View PostMerc14, on 10 April 2014 - 12:59 AM, said:

How is that the same as before Obamacare, when you could leave your job, start a business, call up BC & BS and get a policy anytime?

Losing other coverage (e.g., by leaving a job) gives you a 60-day window to buy an insurance policy any time of year.

It's the same reason you're allowed to join the company's insurance policy when you start a job even if it's not during the open enrollment period: life changes allow for special enrollment periods. These concepts won't be new to anyone who's had health insurance through a job before.

Edited by Startraveler, 10 April 2014 - 01:12 AM.

#13    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,964 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:24 AM

View PostMerc14, on 09 April 2014 - 07:19 PM, said:

I understand what Obamacare is and how it works but open enrollment is not a universal as it is now.

I have my doubts that you have ever purchased insurance thru a companies open enrollment - like most Americans.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#14    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,437 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:50 AM

View PostStartraveler, on 10 April 2014 - 01:12 AM, said:

Losing other coverage (e.g., by leaving a job) gives you a 60-day window to buy an insurance policy any time of year.

It's the same reason you're allowed to join the company's insurance policy when you start a job even if it's not during the open enrollment period: life changes allow for special enrollment periods. These concepts won't be new to anyone who's had health insurance through a job before.

Not when you quit to pursue your dream (see Joe Biden extolling the virtues of unemployment).

#15    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,437 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:59 AM

View Postninjadude, on 10 April 2014 - 02:24 AM, said:

I have my doubts that you have ever purchased insurance thru a companies open enrollment - like most Americans.
You have no idea what you are talking about, as usual and your zombie like dedication, to the point of wishing dissenters against democrat policy would be jailed, are quite worrisome.  I am sure startraveler feels the same, especially since he is being made to look so incredibly wrong every day, but he isn't stupid enough to admit it.

Listen ninjadude, your philosophy has been tried all over the world in the last 100 years and in every case has failed miserably at the cost of millions of lives.  Everything you believe is wrong, as proven by history.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users