Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Something In Common

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31    Kira

Kira

Government Agent

• 4,183 posts

• Sexiest,
    Prettiest,
    Bloodthirstiest,
    Elf Member of the
    Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps.

Thanks TO xx

Posted 05 March 2003 - 01:07 AM

Loonboy Posted on Mar 4 2003, 10:19 PM
we have way too much time on our hands guys)

oh yes this is so true but as KC said
hey that's something we have in common.  (I think I'm in good company)

biggrin.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif                                                  

We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.

#32    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 01:18 AM

QUOTE (skalra63 @ Mar 4 2003, 08:01 PM)
homer, what about the fact that yiou keep yourself alive to hel others,......so eating would be both helping yourself and others...

skalra63,
I had that covered, that is why I said a person staying alive who lives in seclusion, so their life benefits nobody. Nice try, but I can't be defeated in this debate by anyone smile.gif                                                  

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#33    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 05 March 2003 - 02:27 AM

QUOTE (Homer @ Mar 5 2003, 01:18 AM)
Nice try, but I can't be defeated in this debate by anyone smile.gif

Sure you can, however indirectly the benefit may seem, you are helping others if you live in seclusion. You've opened up living space to someone else who may not have otherwise found a dwelling, unless you grow your own food utilizing everything from nature and/or wear fig leaves for clothing, someone benefits from you buying whatever you need to sustain life. It may seem insignificant at first blush, but it grows over a lifetime. The simple act of being born gave purpose to someone's profession, not to mention the relief it brought your mother, which undoubtedly was a benefit. You could even take it further and speculate that your seclusion may have saved the lives of countless people you might have killed in a car accident or gunned down in a fit of uncontrolled rage. Even without trying, there are many benefits to be had just by being alive, there are only degrees of significance that can be argued, albeit not very convincingly.                                                  

Edited by Magikman, 05 March 2003 - 02:39 AM.

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#34    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 08:13 AM

Ahh Magik I knew you would show up  biggrin.gif  

Just adding a little to the whole benefiting others = Good Karma debate .
  My job consists of going out of my way to make peoples days better, brighter and more enjoyable , crappy crap crap crap  It dosent do me any good . I must have been really bad in a previos life , to have to smile and say" thank you" and "yes It is chilly out isn't it" to prats with IQ's lower than my shoe size who like to speak slowly so that I understand them . dry.gif
  Don't get me wrong I also do completely selfless stuff , I used to help a familly with a severly brain injured daughter  but I have had to stop that and take time out for me because I was slowly losing the plot . You can only give so much before you have to start being selfish.

I promise when work slows down I will be straight back to helping with my little angel .                                                  

#35    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 12:35 PM

True Kismit. And as they said once in the 'X Files' - motives are seldom unselfish.

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

Work hard, keep the ceremonies, live peacably, and unite your hearts. – Hopi

Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you. – Huron

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears. – Minquass

#36    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 12:53 PM

Nice try Magik smile.gif

But you fail to grasp the purpose of my posts, and the wording of the statement. I was referring to someone living in complete seclusion, where there is no interaction with another person. Throughout the entire universe, one could argue that anything and everything either directly or indirectly influences everything else, and when you take it to the extreme, that is true.

But it seems you haven’t really read the statement: "Nothing really matters in this life unless it is done for the benefit of others". LB and myself have given examples where it is necessary to do things that benefit only yourself, such as staying alive. If a person in total seclusion for the rest of their life dies, how does that either benefit or not benefit someone else? It doesn’t. So my point is there are things that are necessary for survival that benefit an individual only. This is also to the extreme, but it is an accurate example.

So no, I can’t be defeated in this debate. smile.gif                                                  

#37    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 02:27 PM

Oh sod it. I say :

The things that matter most in life, are those that are done for
the benefit of others

cool.gif                                                  

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

#38    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 05 March 2003 - 02:33 PM

Reminds me of a movie,  I think it's called
          'A Christmas Carol'.  I really liked the happy
           ending.   smile.gif                                                  

#39    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (Loonboy @ Mar 5 2003, 09:27 AM)
The things that matter most in life, are those that are done for
the benefit of others

Excellent statement LB, and I wholeheartedly  agree smile.gif                                                  

#40    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 06:20 PM

Y a y y y y y y y !

biggrin.gif                                                  

#41    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 01:08 AM

wub.gif Awwwww I love a happy ending .

#42    Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2003 - 04:42 PM

One thing I learnt:

Every story has a happy ending...and If doesnt ..then story isnt finished yet...                                                  

#43    uranium101

uranium101

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 06:06 PM

i kind of agree w/  the multidimensional thingie... someday we might be a dog, someday we might be...a grey... hehehehehehe...                                                      

Jesus died for everyone, but if you were the only person living, he'd still die just for you. --- Uranium101

#44    djdodo

djdodo

Poltergeist

• 2,747 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (BuffY @ Mar 2 2003, 04:03 PM)
We are not alone.

Yeah .. that sounds perfectly true ...  original.gif                                                      

<span style='color:pink'>Luv is unpredictable. luv's Blind!
Luv is like a Diamond, when it brakes it turns in to dust.
Dont buy luv with money, it never works</span>

#45    FreyKade

FreyKade

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 06:46 PM

'we are not alone'.......i agreee with that, even if the others are just in our minds                                                      

"isn't that intresting Dave, i mean every step you take down that chain, takes you one step further from your imagination"

i said
"you're right! youre a bit of a hippy, but you're right"
- Dave Gorman

"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"
"I got some pegs belonging to you"
- Papa Lazarou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users