Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Biggest great white shark ever tagged

great white shark tagged white pointer king george sound

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,330 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

The tagging of a huge five-metre white pointer in King George Sound has presented a potentially huge breakthrough in shark research and a triumph for local Fisheries staff.

The massive female great white, estimated to weigh about 1.6 tonnes, was the biggest ever internally tagged in Australia, and one of the largest in the world.

The shark was measured at 5.04m to the fork in its tail, suggesting an overall length of around 5.3m.

http://www.watoday.c...0410-36eqx.html

Posted Image

#2    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,403 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:53 PM

5.3m+1.6tons. I will never understand why the aussies go swim there because I would even not put
a single toe into the waters there.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#3    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,606 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:02 PM

#4    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,166 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:58 PM

Why did they tag it, the only good shark is one hanging upside down on a quayside.
B.t.w what happened to the one called Lydia which was tagged  in the U.S and was heading for U.K so they said. Does anyone know ??

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#5    MordorOrc

MordorOrc

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 370 posts

• Evil Lurks Within...

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:51 PM

That's it. I'm never going in the sea again.

You must obey the law, always, not only when they grab you by your special place.
Vladimir Putin

#6    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 4,026 posts

• What need is there of seeing, in the presence of His gratitude?

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:05 AM

I love knowing that I have these wonderful creatures living where I live. Seeing a shark that size swimming in the water I think would be awesome to witness.

After the shark was finally subdued, Fisheries staff had to attach three ropes around it and roll it upside down. However, once it was upside down the shark went into a state of "tonic immobility", similar to being asleep. That enabled Fisheries workers, aboard a 6m vessel not much bigger than the shark, to make a small incision in its stomach without lifting it out of the water and insert the tag.

I always find it interesting now to read how they do this to relax the shark. I remember doing it in dreams a few times years ago and I never had a clue that's what people actually did. Here's a dream I posted years ago where I did this.

View PostKazahel, on 23 May 2008 - 02:44 AM, said:

I had a weird dream last night.. I dreamt I was walking in the ocean I think, but only in about knee deep water. And I saw a dark object swimming towards me which I knew was a small shark. It was about half a meter in length maybe. Anyway it swam really close and I thought it was going to bite my calf muscle, so when it got close I punched it in the head once to kinda stun it, then I picked it up out of the water. Then straight away I turned it over and started to rub its belly. It was all white underneath and the shark looked like it had cat fish whiskers(just slightly/tiny ones).. it was a weird shark and not one I've seen much. It was more squarish around its head. Anyway I just stood there rubbing its belly as if it was a naughty pet I have to make happy or something(calm it down). I held it in one arm(my left) almost like a baby(holding its head with my hand), while I rubbed its belly with my right hand. It really was like I was stroking a pet or something. I wasnt worried at all.

I've had this dream before almost a year ago maybe now, and I'm not sure what it means. Was cool though.

Taken from here.   http://www.unexplain...8

#7    g00dfella

g00dfella

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:18 AM

Would be cool if they'd train Orca's to patrol beaches with the most sightings..

#8    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,798 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:31 AM

View Posttoast, on 10 April 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

5.3m+1.6tons. I will never understand why the aussies go swim there because I would even not put
a single toe into the waters there.

Australia is the home to some of the deadliest and poisonous animals on land as well. Maybe swimming with sharks is safer?

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#9    Xanthurion2

Xanthurion2

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

• Valar morghulis

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

Cool, sharks are awesome. My favorite water type.

SRS

#10    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,403 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 10 April 2014 - 10:58 PM, said:

Why did they tag it, the only good shark is one hanging upside down on a quayside.
B.t.w what happened to the one called Lydia which was tagged  in the U.S and was heading for U.K so they said. Does anyone know ??

Today Lydia is here: http://www.ocearch.org/tracker/mobile/

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#11    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,403 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

View Post:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:, on 11 April 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

Australia is the home to some of the deadliest and poisonous animals on land as well. Maybe swimming with sharks is safer?

I know that. Is that maybe an evolutionary reaction due to the aussies? :lol: :D :lol:

#12    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,798 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

View Posttoast, on 11 April 2014 - 12:40 PM, said:

I know that. Is that maybe an evolutionary reaction due to the aussies? :lol: :D :lol:

It's either that or their beer truly makes them ten feet tall and bulletproof. :yes:

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#13    JVG

JVG

Government Agent

• 4,225 posts

• Live and learn.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.. Queue music from Jaws..

#14    msmike1

msmike1

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

What a truly awesome animal. Would I want it swimming around me, well no, but a truly awesome animal anyway. The data collected from such an animal will be very valuable to the scientists studying these sharks I would think.

Mike

#15    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

I wonder if this is the shark they tagged.

[media='funny-pic'][/media]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users