Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What should we be mandated to buy?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,473 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:46 AM

We now by federal mandate have to purchase a product from a industry or face a financial penalty. The requirement to do this is to simply be alive. There's no real choice in the matter and there are people who are ok with that because of various reasons, freedom not being one of them.
What other industries should citizens be required to prop up from their paycheck or pay a penalty for the simple act of being alive? My answer is none but the precedent has been set.

Posted Image

#2    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:54 AM

The real answer is nothing...

But some folks think it's better to "share the pain"...

To me, it is crony capitalism at it's finest example...get the gov to force the people to buy a product from a private industry...Good times if you can get that deal...

Edited by Jeremiah65, 11 April 2014 - 02:55 AM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#3    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,900 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:19 AM

How about somebody else's post education?  I don't agree with it but could see it happening.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#4    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,473 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:21 AM

View Postacidhead, on 11 April 2014 - 03:19 AM, said:

How about somebody else's post education?  I don't agree with it but could see it happening.

That's what I'm getting at. Arguments for the greater good can be made about anything but that doesn't mean every citizen should have to back with their money and mounds of hope for change.

Edited by F3SS, 11 April 2014 - 03:34 AM.

Posted Image

#5    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 1,649 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:25 AM

For a capitalistic society they should pay for anything they use.  Sadly, I can see it being things like clean water or clean air in the not to distant future.

#6    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,051 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:25 AM

I doubt a "college tax" would happen because then we would have kids flocking to colleges for higher education.  Then the government wouldn't have as many janitors and construction workers.

Keeping the majority of the population under-educated to keep a large stock of "grunt workers" is something they probably see as a good thing.

#7    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,473 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:32 AM

View PostWickian, on 11 April 2014 - 03:25 AM, said:

I doubt a "college tax" would happen because then we would have kids flocking to colleges for higher education.  Then the government wouldn't have as many janitors and construction workers.

Keeping the majority of the population under-educated to keep a large stock of "grunt workers" is something they probably see as a good thing.

Universal education would result in more people wasting their time and our money than it would result in white collar workers. Point being, there'd be plenty of janitors to come.

Posted Image

#8    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,765 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:45 AM

As I said in the other thread, Tennessee will be funding it with lottery reserves so there will be no taxpayer money going to post education.

#9    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,562 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:04 AM

In California, along with other states, drivers have to have insurance. Does anyone think that's a bad thing?

#10    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,900 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:39 AM

View PostBeany, on 11 April 2014 - 04:04 AM, said:

In California, along with other states, drivers have to have insurance. Does anyone think that's a bad thing?

Driving on a public road increases risk of injury to another individual.

Edited by acidhead, 11 April 2014 - 06:40 AM.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#11    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:19 AM

No right should be forced on a person.  Rights are things you have that by the constitution gives you.

Privileges are not rights and could have purchasers connected to them.

Life, liberties, and happiness are rights.

Driving a car is a privilege.

Education is not a right, it is not in the bill of rights, nor is it a privilege.  By giving a kid an education the whole community benefits.  Forcing people to buy obamacare only benefits the elderly and the handicapped.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#12    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

View PostMichelle, on 11 April 2014 - 03:45 AM, said:

As I said in the other thread, Tennessee will be funding it with lottery reserves so there will be no taxpayer money going to post education.

Only about ten percent will be going to educàtion.  Education suffers when getting funds from the lottery.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#13    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,198 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:00 AM

Our tax dollars  'buy'  all sorts of things.  Most of which i don't believe  "WE"  should be buying, and i don't want MY share spent on.  

But ,, more directly on topic...  I think , soon,  anyone receiving  all, or a subsidized portion, of their "health" care ... will be forced to have "health" exams... and  mandated to take whatever  drugs they are prescribed....    (for the good of $ociety as a whole)  .. $ee what i mean?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#14    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,473 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

View PostBeany, on 11 April 2014 - 04:04 AM, said:

I knew someone would say it. You missed the point sir. Car insurance is a mandate attached to owning a car. This is about mandates attached to being a living breathing citizen and nothing else.

Posted Image

#15    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• 2,018 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

View Postdanielost, on 11 April 2014 - 08:19 AM, said:

No right should be forced on a person.  Rights are things you have that by the constitution gives you.

Privileges are not rights and could have purchasers connected to them.

Life, liberties, and happiness are rights.

Driving a car is a privilege.

Education is not a right, it is not in the bill of rights, nor is it a privilege.  By giving a kid an education the whole community benefits.  Forcing people to buy obamacare only benefits the elderly and the handicapped.

No, no, no!! The constitution does NOT give us any rights. We are born with rights. The constitution lists which rights we have decided to allow the government to have. For example: the 2nd amendment does not say "you have the right to keep and bear arms", it says "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". We already have the right.

You do have a right to drive a car, it is not a privilege. What you do not have a right to do is drive said car on public roads. They are owned by the public and therefore the public gets to decided who uses them and the criteria needed to use them. Stay on private property and no license or insurance needed.

I am sad that you think the only rights we have are the ones listed in the Bill of Rights. I am sad that you think we get our rights from the government. Don't they teach the Constitution in Civics class anymore?

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users