Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

A Stark Contrast

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,320 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:57 AM

In Asia, gods of traditional religions were eager to teach humans knowledge. The concept of 'secret knowledge' was a very strange idea. Nothing was hidden and all that prevent you from gaining knowledge was your own shortcomings and stupidity. Gods did not forbid you from gaining knowledge. Heck, in fact Taoism was all about gaining enlightenment and knowledge is a part of it! Your ultimate goal is to become a celestial deity through hard training and self disciplines!

One Chinese god/hero thought that fire was a poison. So he ate a dead animal burnt by fire out of clinical depression, and naturally he discovered barbecuing. And taught the truth to primitive humans.

Other gods taught humans how to read and write, which was the key to knowledge. Some other gods taught humans agriculture and animal husbandry themselves, often by living among and work with humans.

And...gods were into 'precision targeting' when it comes to punishing evil people. Collateral damage was a very nasty idea. Gods wouldn't do that. Even better, THERE HAS BEEN ABSOLUTELY NO EXACT EQUIVALENT OF SATAN IN EAST ASIA. The concept of Absolute, irreversible evil was a very bizarre and often crazy idea. Original Sin was an utterly alien concept.

Edited by ambelamba, 12 April 2014 - 04:58 AM.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#2    Roy Don

Roy Don

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

If we break it down into various regions, we see that the more isolationist the culture the more unique their religions are. The east Asian religions, as you have said place more emphasis on self discovery and knowledge. The Middle Eastern and Mediterranean religions, including grecco-roman paganism, placed a lot of emphasis on obedience to and reverence of their deities. The Celtic religions placed a lot of emphasis on living alongside nature and embracing a mother spirit sort of concept, while the Germanic and Norse myths feature a lot of emphasis on conquering and war among their gods, who in many cases are more human like overall. The Native American religions seem to look at things as if it were a larger interconnected machine with each deity being responsible for his or her own cog of the greater machine. The Roman religion is probably the most varied and like all the others because of all the cultural contact with their neighbors, such as the Celtic peoples of Britannia and Gaul, the Germanic barbarians and the middle eastern tribes. They did not have tremendous contact with east Asian cultures, and this is reflected in their religion. Of course the native American religions share a lot in common with just about all polytheistic religions with a division of responsibility and realms of control for each deity. I find that by far, the east Asian religions are the easiest to embrace because they allow humans to do as they will while not mandating the blind obedience or restriction of knowledge as you noted.

#3    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,320 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:04 PM

One thing that irks me is why Abrahamic deity is overly violent compared to other gods. This makes me wonder if OT was never the mainstream scripture of ancient Hebrews and Israelite. It might have been the codex for a fringe extremists who managed to survive.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#4    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:36 PM

View Postambelamba, on 13 April 2014 - 08:04 PM, said:

One thing that irks me is why Abrahamic deity is overly violent compared to other gods. This makes me wonder if OT was never the mainstream scripture of ancient Hebrews and Israelite. It might have been the codex for a fringe extremists who managed to survive.

Some religions started with someone just imagining a greater power, the abrahamic god is nothing more than a human being who imagined and declared himself to be god of the universe   (Even though he isn't)

The abrahimic god is a walking mass of mental illnesses.

http://en.wikipedia....nality_disorder

Drunk with blood..
Danger cult leaders
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

#5    Whisperer

Whisperer

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

• "Never challenge the Universe for it will respond"

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:17 PM

We have a concept that describes 3 nodes of knowledge,
1. Beneficial for mankind
2. Detrimental for mankind
3. Forbidden to mankind.

An example of detrimental was that knowledge born of fire was detrimental in that it would have the inherent capacity to foster greed and empower an uncaring attitude to life.
For those who did pursue such knowledge as in the creation of fired objects, death soon followed as it did when killing by long range was employed too, hence the lack of pottery and missile launching systems in my culture.
Dont know what forbidden knowledge was though but assume it was in the order of a type of mysticism involving associations with 'dark forces', what ever that may have been.

Our term for God like creatures or entities is Atua which translates to Beyonder , that is those beyond our level of comprehension and we have no regard for worshipping as our' religious system' if you like is based upon 'Following' a person or entity or emulating their way for upliftment as a person in general.
So all this talk of Gods leaves me wondering if someone has pulled the wool over willing eyes......

I be Ra...The river of life, the ebb and flow of summer tides...
Make not an image of me, nor offer unto me the limitations of form...
For I be Soul....and I will not be limited...

#6    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,411 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:28 PM

I like the creation myth of  Yoruba religion of Africa.  It explains why people are born with deformities. The orisha Obatala got drunk on palm wine and made mistakes. Nobodies perfect.

According to mythical stories, Obatala created people with disabilities while drunk on palm wine, making him the patron deity of such people. People born with congenital defects are called eni orisa: literally, "people of Obatala". He is also referred to as the orisha of the north. He is always dressed in white, hence the meaning of his name, Obatala (King or ruler of the white cloth). His devotees strive to practice moral correctness as unblemished as his robe. They never worship Obatala with palm wine, palm oil or salt. They may eat palm oil and salt, but never taste palm wine..   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obatala

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#7    Beany

Beany

Poltergeist

• 3,170 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:53 AM

View Postambelamba, on 12 April 2014 - 04:57 AM, said:

In Asia, gods of traditional religions were eager to teach humans knowledge. The concept of 'secret knowledge' was a very strange idea. Nothing was hidden and all that prevent you from gaining knowledge was your own shortcomings and stupidity. Gods did not forbid you from gaining knowledge. Heck, in fact Taoism was all about gaining enlightenment and knowledge is a part of it! Your ultimate goal is to become a celestial deity through hard training and self disciplines!

One Chinese god/hero thought that fire was a poison. So he ate a dead animal burnt by fire out of clinical depression, and naturally he discovered barbecuing. And taught the truth to primitive humans.

Other gods taught humans how to read and write, which was the key to knowledge. Some other gods taught humans agriculture and animal husbandry themselves, often by living among and work with humans.

And...gods were into 'precision targeting' when it comes to punishing evil people. Collateral damage was a very nasty idea. Gods wouldn't do that. Even better, THERE HAS BEEN ABSOLUTELY NO EXACT EQUIVALENT OF SATAN IN EAST ASIA. The concept of Absolute, irreversible evil was a very bizarre and often crazy idea. Original Sin was an utterly alien concept.

Thank god for the BBQ. I'm not a believer in original sin, myself. But really, it's all conjecture, isn't it? Mostly what we know about any god is what we're told by someone else, 2nd or 3rd hand, at least.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users