Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is it possible to regenerate our organs ?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

In what is being hailed as a world first, scientists have succeeded in regenerating an organ in mice.

In the popular science fiction TV series 'Doctor Who' the titular Time Lord famously cheats death by regenerating his entire body and now scientists believe that it may be possible to do something similar with specific organs in humans.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...rate-our-organs

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Paranomaly

Paranomaly

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 98 posts

• If you want to know the truth follow your instincts and listen to your conscience.

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

Next stop, live forever!!

#3    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

Unless they can regenerate an old brain, senility would eventually get everyone anyway and, um, er, what was I just saying?

#4    Duchess Gummybuns

Duchess Gummybuns

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 121 posts

• I would like to believe, but the Government covers it up as a weather balloon.

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

Yes because yes

#5    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,404 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

We already regenerate our brains naturally, as well as all our other organs as cells die and are replaced.  There may be a few where this doesn't happen, but I seem to recall that idea being replaced.  I would guess senility happens because of diseases and strokes and so on and if we can regenerate the damaged brain material, it wouldn't be all that different than when nature does it.

#6    6.6.6

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:07 PM

Living forever would be a total disaster to the planet earth! It is already over populated and cannot feed and support all its inhabitants as it is!
We are born, we live the time that is given to us, then we die, that is the natural cycle of nature! The old pass on and the young take their place!
If we were to even increase the average life expectancy by as little as 20 years let alone living for hundreds of years the entire world would collapse!  There is a good reason we have an expiry date,  im all for keeping people healthy and fighting disease,  but this technology should never be allowed to prolong a natural life expectancy!

#7    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:22 PM

I have a friend that needs to grow a new liver.

[media='funny-pic'][/media]

#8    kobolds

kobolds

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

The answer is YES. From sperm and egg can grow into a baby. Why can't we regenerate organ.

#9    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• I'm baaaaaack

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:54 AM

to heck with regeneration I would just be happy with having them (my organs) not go bad in the first place if my pancreas would make insulin like it was suppose to I would not be diabetic.  regeneration will only make another one that doesn't work right to start with

Edited by mysticwerewolf, 17 April 2014 - 04:54 AM.

#10    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Unknown title error

• 2,951 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:49 AM

View Post6.6.6, on 13 April 2014 - 10:07 PM, said:

Living forever would be a total disaster to the planet earth! It is already over populated and cannot feed and support all its I
nhabitants as it is!
We are born, we live the time that is given to us, then we die, that is the natural cycle of nature! The old pass on and the young take their place!
If we were to even increase the average life expectancy by as little as 20 years let alone living for hundreds of years the entire world would collapse!  There is a good reason we have an expiry date,  im all for keeping people healthy and fighting disease,  but this technology should never be allowed to prolong a natural life expectancy!
I politely disagree. Not only would living an extended life brain willing be a benefit. The live forever bit at its extreme would help us to colonize the known universe. Also people live longer now than they ever have. 55 was a common ageof expiration a couple hundred years ago. Now 75 is common with many living much longer. 85 and 90 is quite reasonable to consider living to. We adapt.
As others have said.... yes and yes.

People constantly are scared of science and feel money is constantly wasted on research. I find that disheartening. :(

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#11    Whisperer

Whisperer

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

• "Never challenge the Universe for it will respond"

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

Nah, you'd die of boredom, how many exciting moments happen in your life between the boring bits...and an organism born to a terrestrial environment would inevitably degrade in a space environment, let alone another biome...
Heaps of research into this with some folks grabbing scaffolding from from some poor beggars corps and then stripping it in order to grow the recipients cells on it for transplant, others are using the body of the recipient itself to grow noses and ears...

So who's got the money to live forever...either buying the tech or living long enough to benefit from Govt freebie health schemes?

I be Ra...The river of life, the ebb and flow of summer tides...
Make not an image of me, nor offer unto me the limitations of form...
For I be Soul....and I will not be limited...

#12    RhiannonB77

RhiannonB77

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:04 AM

Stem cell research has people growing thumbs and ears these days. I think it is possible.

#13    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,706 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:25 AM

I'd like regeneration, it would be nice that if you loose an arm or finger, that you get a shot and it grows back.

As to living forever, that would require fixing the issue of DNA damages that happen over time and eventually prevend cell reproduction. Totally different issue.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#14    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,404 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:52 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 21 April 2014 - 05:25 AM, said:

I'd like regeneration, it would be nice that if you loose an arm or finger, that you get a shot and it grows back.

As to living forever, that would require fixing the issue of DNA damages that happen over time and eventually prevend cell reproduction. Totally different issue.
Different issue, true, but organ regeneration makes it easier and progress on the DNA and RNA issues are being made too.

#15    TheSpoonyOne

TheSpoonyOne

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

View Post6.6.6, on 13 April 2014 - 10:07 PM, said:

Living forever would be a total disaster to the planet earth! It is already over populated and cannot feed and support all its inhabitants as it is!

Regardless, I'd still want to live forever if possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users