Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Rome may be 200 years older than thought

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

New archaeological evidence has suggested that Rome was founded two centuries earlier.

Legends say that Rome, one of the world's oldest cities, was founded by twins Romulus and Remus in 795 BC, but now archaeologists have discovered the remains of an ancient wall that seem to date back to a time before then.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...er-than-thought

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Paranomaly

Paranomaly

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 96 posts

• If you want to know the truth follow your instincts and listen to your conscience.

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

Maybe Rome was built on a ancient city and this is part of its remains.

#3    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,486 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

Or it was built over top of an earlier 'fortified villa', not a town...

But Paranomaly is probably right...

#4    marcos anthony toledo

marcos anthony toledo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

Or could it back the Aeneid story to some extent since this would push the date of the founding of the city to the date of the city to the fall of Troy.

#5    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,523 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

While an interesting find apparently the writer of the original article can't subtract since 900 - 795 = 105 years and not "a full 200 years" as claimed.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#6    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,014 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

Well, cormac, what's a few years? I mean the Hundred Years' War lasted more than. lol

#7    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,523 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 15 April 2014 - 03:24 PM, said:

Well, cormac, what's a few years? I mean the Hundred Years' War lasted more than. lol

One would expect the writer of an article discussing an archaeological find to be more accurate than evidenced. Sadly this isn't always true.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#8    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,014 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:26 PM

I agree. :)

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#9    paperdyer

paperdyer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 15 April 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

While an interesting find apparently the writer of the original article can't subtract since 900 - 795 = 105 years and not "a full 200 years" as claimed.

cormac
Well the 795 BC was recorded by legend.  It seems 700 BC was expected.  At least that's the way I read it.

#10    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,240 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:11 AM

Rome was not really built in a day I guess ~ ahhh well ... at least the eternal City is still around ~

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,976 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:48 AM

My understanding had been that active volcanism in the area had prevented earlier settlement.  Of course a lot depends on the timing of the volcanism.

#12    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,743 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:23 PM

The Etruscans came to mind as I read this. Are they too late in this timeframe at that level of construction? I haven't properly looked into history for years now.

#13    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

Cities happen for reasons, and if there's city there now there was probably a city (or at least a large town) there before, too. It's not like cities were any novelty in 1000 BCE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users