Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

US Military have working Railgun.

rail railgun us military

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    George Ford

George Ford

Just pretend you didn't see anything

• Banned
  • 3,149 posts

• 'I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc'

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:18 PM

http://www.mirror.co...-weapon-3387565

Check out the above link! I remember just a few short years ago they were testing a gun with limited success, and now they have a large working prototype ready to be field tested on a ship!!! (Or should that be sea tested?)

Whats great about it is that it uses electrical energy to fire the projectile from the gun. Large ships like Carriers have nuclear power plants so have plenty of energy. It will save a large amount of weight, space and expense on conventional explosives that are used to fire existing main stream projectiles. Plus I think once they fine tune this thing it will be a simple computer program that will change the amount of magnetic field so this new weapon can hit targets accurately at great distances!

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” ~ Carl Sagan

#2    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,772 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

Looks like it could breach a hull from deck to keel in a millisecond.  At those speeds I wonder if anyone would hear it incoming?

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#3    George Ford

George Ford

Just pretend you didn't see anything

• Banned
  • 3,149 posts

• 'I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc'

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:53 PM

View Postand then, on 15 April 2014 - 02:36 PM, said:

Looks like it could breach a hull from deck to keel in a millisecond.  At those speeds I wonder if anyone would hear it incoming?

No they would not, it is classed as a hypersonic (faster then supersonic) object. So sound is way behind it. So like a bullet fired from a gun the target would experience the impact before they heard the crack of the bullet. I was thinking they could scale this gun up to the scale of a 'supergun' like what the Nazi's started to build towards the end of WW2, where a massive (over 100 meters long) gun would fire rounds from France into London. I imagine with magnets you could even angle the gun barrel a few degrees and hit targets half way round the world from America!!!

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” ~ Carl Sagan

#4    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:52 AM

View Postbulveye, on 15 April 2014 - 04:53 PM, said:

I was thinking they could scale this gun up to the scale of a 'supergun' like what the Nazi's started to build towards the end of WW2, where a massive (over 100 meters long) gun would fire rounds from France into London.

You got some kind of plan in the works? Thinking about wiping out London?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#5    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:58 AM

The US seems to have settled on a strategy of automating warfare.

#6    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:00 AM

Watches video and reads article....

That is pretty impressive. So, they will be using it to fire explosive ordinance. So the savings is that there is no rocket propellant or cannon propellant necessary, just electricity.

The only problem I've really heard about rail guns is that they require a lot of maintenance, as the rails wear down a lot faster then a gun barrel.

I'm looking forward to gauss cannons, which use magnetism to fire the projectiles.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#7    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,286 posts

• - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

"Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:07 AM

I wonder when the electromagnetic force field shield defense will make it to the prototype stage ~ by then the Earth will be ready for a Mars Invasion ... oh wait ...

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC
~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer

#8    SecretAgentMathew

SecretAgentMathew

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

• The public has been deceived for too long and it's time someone takes a stand. I will!

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

old technology ...

#9    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

Oh yea rail guns have been around awhile; apparently they now have one that would actually be cost effective and usable to allow all sorts of things at lower cost than rockets.

#10    SecretAgentMathew

SecretAgentMathew

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

• The public has been deceived for too long and it's time someone takes a stand. I will!

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 21 April 2014 - 11:04 AM, said:

Oh yea rail guns have been around awhile; apparently they now have one that would actually be cost effective and usable to allow all sorts of things at lower cost than rockets.

If Hitlers scientists created a vortex engine then anything like a railgun would look like a boomerang lol

Also tagged with rail, railgun, us military

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users