Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

USPS joins list of federal agencies

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,276 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

From the article:

Add the U.S. Postal Service to the list of federal agencies seeking to purchase what some Second Amendment activists say are alarmingly large quantities of ammunition.

Earlier this year, the USPS posted a notice on its website, under the heading "Assorted Small Arms Ammunition," that says: "The United States Postal Service intends to solicit proposals for assorted small arms ammunition. If your organization wishes to participate, you must pre-register. This message is only a notification of our intent to solicit proposals."

Alan Gottlieb, chairman of the Washington-based Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, said: "We're seeing a highly unusual amount of ammunition being bought by the federal agencies over a fairly short period of time. To be honest, I don't understand why the federal government is buying so much at this time."

Jake McGuigan, director of state affairs and government relations for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, said widely reported federal ammunition purchases have sparked conspiracy-type fears among gun owners, who worry that the federal government is trying to crack down on Second Amendment rights via the back door by limiting the ammo available to owners.

It's not just the USPS that is stocking up on ammo.

A little more than a year ago, the Social Security Administration put in a request for 174,000 rounds of ".357 Sig 125 grain bonded jacketed hollow-point" bullets.

Before that, it was the Department of Agriculture requesting 320,000 rounds. More recently, the Department of Homeland Security raised eyebrows with its request for 450 million rounds — at about the same time the FBI separately sought 100 million hollow-point rounds.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration also requested 46,000 rounds.

Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, asked: why exactly does a weather service need ammunition?

Source

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,056 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

:huh:

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,879 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

i shot at least a thousand rounds when i go to the range, sometimes more, along with my friends we leave few thousands empties, i asked range attendant once how many aproximately rounds their customers shoot on avarige day, she said about 40-50k. so it does not sound that much to me,  if anything i'd say ss agents, and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration  do not train enough.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#4    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,276 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

View Postaztek, on 15 April 2014 - 04:13 PM, said:

i shot at least a thousand rounds when i go to the range, sometimes more, along with my friends we leave few thousands empties, i asked range attendant once how many aproximately rounds their customers shoot on avarige day, she said about 40-50k. so it does not sound that much to me,  if anything i'd say ss agents, and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration  do not train enough.
Why would NOAA need guns at all?  Aren't they basically a weather monitoring agency?

#5    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,879 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

View PostOverSword, on 15 April 2014 - 04:19 PM, said:

Why would NOAA need guns at all?  Aren't they basically a weather monitoring agency?
pirates, lol

but it is a good question, but if they do have few guns, they have to train with them, dep also carries guns, why do they? they only monitor enviroment

Edited by aztek, 15 April 2014 - 04:36 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#6    RavenHawk

RavenHawk

Poltergeist

• 3,028 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

View PostOverSword, on 15 April 2014 - 04:19 PM, said:

It's so that they can arrest (shoot) Anthropomorphic Climate Change Deniers or those wielding deadly carbon atoms.

*Signature removed* Forum Rules

#7    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,879 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

dhs employs about 240k lets assume only 80k are actually armed agents, so they only get about 5600 rounds each., if they use as much during their single trip to the range, as i do,  it does not sound too many to me.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#8    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,629 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:01 PM

Of all the agencies to arm.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#9    RavenHawk

RavenHawk

Poltergeist

• 3,028 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

I would think that obvious questions would be:

1) How many ammo makers are there in this country?

2) What are their yearly output per type and caliber?

3) Do they have a continuous cycle making ammo or is it seasonal or based on demand?

4) What kind of regulations is on the raw material or sources?

5) What is the carbon footprint and waste byproduct?

*Signature removed* Forum Rules

#10    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,815 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

They appear not to be familiar with the phrase "going postal". Or perhaps they hope to make it more cost-effective by supplying their employees with ammunition now. :unsure2:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#11    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,276 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

View PostRavenHawk, on 15 April 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

I would think that obvious questions would be:

1) How many ammo makers are there in this country?

2) What are their yearly output per type and caliber?

3) Do they have a continuous cycle making ammo or is it seasonal or based on demand?

4) What kind of regulations is on the raw material or sources?

5) What is the carbon footprint and waste byproduct?
Why number 5?

View PostColonel Rhubarb, on 15 April 2014 - 05:32 PM, said:

They appear not to be familiar with the phrase "going postal". Or perhaps they hope to make it more cost-effective by supplying their employees with ammunition now. :unsure2:
Dude! :gun:

#12    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,698 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

Most Federal agencies have an enforcement division.  In the case of the USPS, there are armed postal inspectors - about 1,500 of them in fact.  And while I see no reference to an actual amount of ammo they wish to purchase - although lots of references to words like obscene, large, huge, etc. - keep in mind 1,500 people shooting a few hundred rounds a year at a range adds up pretty quickly.  

If it makes you feel better, here is a conservative, pro-2nd Amendment website that says it's not big deal:

http://gunssavelives...ig-conspiracy/#

As for NOAA, the ammo order was erroneously attributed to the weather division when it should have said NOAA Fisheries Office of Law Enforcement.

Due to a clerical error in the federal business vendor process, a solicitation for ammunition and targets for the NOAA Fisheries Office of Law Enforcement mistakenly identified NOAA's National Weather Service as the requesting office.  The error is being fixed and will soon appear correctly in the electronic federal bidding system.  The ammunition is standard issue for many law enforcement agencies and it will be used by 63 NOAA enforcement personnel in their firearms qualifications and training.

Agents and officers are required to have 200 rounds in his or her duty bag, and twice-a-year firearm qualification and training calls for agents to use another 500-600 rounds. In addition, firearms instructors with more than one pistol may need more rounds in a year. In 2011, the guidance was that each agent and officer would need 700 rounds per year to meet these requirements.

Read more: http://www.businessi...8#ixzz2yyfMQ23F

So, again, no big conspiracy.  These are simply Federal agencies ordering their needed ammunition in as cost-effective a way as possible.  Isn't that something we should all be applauding instead of criticizing?  

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#13    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,815 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

So why do they need it?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#14    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,698 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:42 PM

View Postaztek, on 15 April 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:

dhs employs about 240k lets assume only 80k are actually armed agents, so they only get about 5600 rounds each., if they use as much during their single trip to the range, as i do,  it does not sound too many to me.

The Department of Homeland Security also includes all of these agencies:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Federal Emergency Management Agency
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
Transportation Security Administration
U.S. Coast Guard
National Protection and Programs Directorate
U.S. Secret Service

So, yeah, they shoot a lot of bullets.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#15    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,698 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

View PostColonel Rhubarb, on 15 April 2014 - 05:41 PM, said:

So why do they need it?

Who?  NOAA or the USPS?

They have enforcement divisions and the members of such divisions are sworn law enforcement officers.  

Here's what postal inspectors do:

http://en.wikipedia....pection_Service

Here's what fisheries enforcement does:

Posted Image
From tackling seafood fraud nationally to helping crack down on illegal fishing internationally, we're here to make sure that those who obey the rules reap the benefits of fair competition and an even playing field in the market. We protect marine resources and their habitat and help safeguard the health of seafood consumers and the livelihoods of coastal communities.

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/ole/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users