Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Near death, explained

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 5,437 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:19 PM

In 1991, Atlanta-based singer and songwriter Pam Reynolds felt extremely dizzy, lost her ability to speak, and had difficulty moving her body. A CAT scan showed that she had a giant artery aneurysm—a grossly swollen blood vessel in the wall of her basilar artery, close to the brain stem. If it burst, which could happen at any moment, it would kill her. But the standard surgery to drain and repair it might kill her too.

To continue:  {http://www.salon.com...ath_explained/}

Edited by Still Waters, 16 April 2014 - 11:13 PM.
Reduced amount of copied text. The rest can be viewed in the source link

#2    Future Dreamer

Future Dreamer

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:29 PM

That's so scary see doctors doing an operation with your body and cutting your skull.
I've seen an documantary about this on netflix called: afterlife, i find it very interesting. It's kind of simulair story, i've watched it a while ago but it might been he same story not sure, just i remember something like it.

Edited by futuredreamer, 16 April 2014 - 10:30 PM.

I know, my english is not so good ^^

#3    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Starman

• 2,524 posts

• "Or is it just remains of vibrations from echoes long ago"

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:10 AM

Pretty cool article, wish we could verify the woman seeing the tennis shoe on the ledge, it's difficult to come up with an explanation for that one if true that doesn't involve something non-physical.  The main criticism I have of the article is the title; near death was not explained, it sounds more mysterious than ever with a lot of possible theories as an explanation.

"Talking about art is like dancing about architecture"
"The truth is of course is that there is no journey. We are arriving and departing all at the same time"
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return"
- Ziggy played guitar

#4    ai_guardian

ai_guardian

al-sifer .o.O.o. refic-ul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

• If you want to know what it will be like when you die, just remember back to what it was like before you were born.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:43 AM

And here is a dissection of the Pam Reynolds / Dr Sabom account . And just before it is the story about the tennis shoe too. ;)

"... there can be no certainty of the last Conclusion, without a certainty of all those Affirmations and Negations, on which it was grounded, and inferred. ... And therefore if a man should talk to me of ... Immateriall Substances; or of A free Subject; A free-will; or any Free, but free from being hindred by opposition, I should not say he were in an Errour, but that his words were without meaning; that is to say, Absurd. ..."[sic] Thomas Hobbes - Leviathan (1651)

#5    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:14 PM

View Postai_guardian, on 17 April 2014 - 03:43 AM, said:

And here is a dissection of the Pam Reynolds / Dr Sabom account . And just before it is the story about the tennis shoe too. ;)
If you get creative enough you can make any car accident, big event, or anecdote seem in consistent. All it really is is lawyering and word smithing, and all it takes is a little creativity.

Edited by White Crane Feather, 17 April 2014 - 05:16 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#6    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 4,026 posts

• What need is there of seeing, in the presence of His gratitude?

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:42 PM

Interesting reads.

#7    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Starman

• 2,524 posts

• "Or is it just remains of vibrations from echoes long ago"

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:51 PM

View PostWhite Crane Feather, on 17 April 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

If you get creative enough you can make any car accident, big event, or anecdote seem in consistent. All it really is is lawyering and word smithing, and all it takes is a little creativity.

Well in this particular case all it really is is skepticism, unless what you mean by 'lawyering and word smithing' is, 'providing counter arguments and evidence'.

"Talking about art is like dancing about architecture"
"The truth is of course is that there is no journey. We are arriving and departing all at the same time"
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return"
- Ziggy played guitar

#8    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

The Holy Dopamine Ghost

• 5,370 posts

• Watching the Star Wars The Force Awakens trailers: I get Goosebumps, and I feel waves of emotions. This is proof that "The Force" is real. :D

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

Keep in mind that the electroencephalogram (EEG) are electrodes on the scalp.This system of measuring Brain activity is from strong wave sources, but has a falling off point, especially deeper activity in the cortex.We do not have the habit of putting emergency situation people on the brink of death in an MRI machine, and keep them in there.

Though we are different than a Chicken, the term "running around like a Chicken with it's head chopped off" is significant.All that flapping & running around is basicly bioelectrical/chemical energy without the part that controls most of everything.

It's like a dead Car Battery where you cannot start, but you can still listen to the Radio till AAA arrives.

Posted Image
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "Mythical Jesus" Dr. Carrier
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=IybD2xzkhtc <-- "Mythical Moses" Dr. Price (starts@10:20)
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=272571 <-- Science Behind Irrational Beliefs
Inanna the Goddess of love was crucified, then after 3 days/nights was resurrected. An over 3,000 yo Tablet saying this is proof of it's truth. Praise Jesus Serotonin Christ!

#9    rodentraiser

rodentraiser

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

• "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

from Wrong Planet Forums

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:57 AM

I think this is very interesting, especially in view of the stroke I suffered because of my own basilar tip aneurysm in January. Now it's considered too difficult to do surgery to the back of the head like that and coiling is the preferred method of dealing with aneurysms in this area. I remember being put under in the hallway and waking up (sort of) while I was being transferred to ICU after surgery. That's it. Nothing more. So I guess all I can infer from this is that I wasn't close to death or dying.

My feeling is that to be that close to death to experience these things, though, means you'd have to be in fact, actually shutting down and dying. Although the doctors brought this woman close to death, I didn't exactly read where she was really dying to the point where they may not have been able to bring her back. So am I missing something here?

But I will give you guys this: every day for the week after surgery for the aneurysm, I had to have an ultrasound done on the back of my head. Basically, I would just lie back and the technician would tell me to turn my head this way, or turn it that way as she did the ultrasound, However, I sort of freaked out the tech a couple times. The first time I had the ultrasound done, I saw a line of doctors coming into the room, They asked me questions and I did my best to answer them. I was wide awake and when the tech was finished, I sat up and asked where the doctors had gone. She was already looking at me sort of wide-eyed and said no doctors had been there. I told her they had come in and asked me questions and I had tried to answer them. She said she knew because she had heard me talking and couldn't figure out who I was talking to. I do not talk in my sleep and I remember being aware and awake at the time because the tech was talking to me too and I could remember what she had said. That wasn't the end of the weird things that happened every time I got an ultrasound, but it was certainly the weirdest. So if you have to ask me, I'd say people's brains really do go into overdrive when they're manipulated in a certain way.

Edited by rodentraiser, 19 April 2014 - 02:58 AM.

Posted Image

I’m sick of voting for the lesser of two evils. The lesser of two evils is still evil. And almost always the lesser of two evils is our only choice.

We have been voting for the lesser of two evils for decade upon decade and look where it’s gotten us.     Coleman Luck

#10    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

The Holy Dopamine Ghost

• 5,370 posts

• Watching the Star Wars The Force Awakens trailers: I get Goosebumps, and I feel waves of emotions. This is proof that "The Force" is real. :D

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:28 AM

View Postrodentraiser, on 19 April 2014 - 02:57 AM, said:

I think this is very interesting, especially in view of the stroke I suffered because of my own basilar tip aneurysm in January. Now it's considered too difficult to do surgery to the back of the head like that and coiling is the preferred method of dealing with aneurysms in this area. I remember being put under in the hallway and waking up (sort of) while I was being transferred to ICU after surgery. That's it. Nothing more. So I guess all I can infer from this is that I wasn't close to death or dying.

My feeling is that to be that close to death to experience these things, though, means you'd have to be in fact, actually shutting down and dying. Although the doctors brought this woman close to death, I didn't exactly read where she was really dying to the point where they may not have been able to bring her back. So am I missing something here?

But I will give you guys this: every day for the week after surgery for the aneurysm, I had to have an ultrasound done on the back of my head. Basically, I would just lie back and the technician would tell me to turn my head this way, or turn it that way as she did the ultrasound, However, I sort of freaked out the tech a couple times. The first time I had the ultrasound done, I saw a line of doctors coming into the room, They asked me questions and I did my best to answer them. I was wide awake and when the tech was finished, I sat up and asked where the doctors had gone. She was already looking at me sort of wide-eyed and said no doctors had been there. I told her they had come in and asked me questions and I had tried to answer them. She said she knew because she had heard me talking and couldn't figure out who I was talking to. I do not talk in my sleep and I remember being aware and awake at the time because the tech was talking to me too and I could remember what she had said. That wasn't the end of the weird things that happened every time I got an ultrasound, but it was certainly the weirdest. So if you have to ask me, I'd say people's brains really do go into overdrive when they're manipulated in a certain way.

You should Google "persinger god helmet".

Posted Image
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=IybD2xzkhtc <-- "Mythical Moses" Dr. Price (starts@10:20)
Inanna the Goddess of love was crucified, then after 3 days/nights was resurrected. An over 3,000 yo Tablet saying this is proof of it's truth. Praise Jesus Serotonin Christ!

#11    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:49 AM

View Postdavros of skaro, on 18 April 2014 - 12:12 PM, said:

Keep in mind that the electroencephalogram (EEG) are electrodes on the scalp.This system of measuring Brain activity is from strong wave sources, but has a falling off point, especially deeper activity in the cortex.We do not have the habit of putting emergency situation people on the brink of death in an MRI machine, and keep them in there.

Though we are different than a Chicken, the term "running around like a Chicken with it's head chopped off" is significant.All that flapping & running around is basicly bioelectrical/chemical energy without the part that controls most of everything.

It's like a dead Car Battery where you cannot start, but you can still listen to the Radio till AAA arrives.
Not on humans. But we have put dogs and other mammals through mris and other detailed monitoring while under cardiac arrest. It's pretty conclusive that the brain is in no shape for complex cognitive feats. ;)

Edited by White Crane Feather, 19 April 2014 - 04:52 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#12    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:50 AM

View Postdavros of skaro, on 19 April 2014 - 04:28 AM, said:

You should Google "persinger god helmet".
I suppose if I make peanut a butter helmet you will think pesnuts are not real?

Edited by White Crane Feather, 19 April 2014 - 04:51 AM.

Bruce Lee-

#13    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

The Holy Dopamine Ghost

• 5,370 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:13 AM

View PostWhite Crane Feather, on 19 April 2014 - 04:49 AM, said:

Not on humans. But we have put dogs and other mammals through mris and other detailed monitoring while under cardiac arrest. It's pretty conclusive that the brain is in no shape for complex cognitive feats. ;)

http://www.unexplain...60#entry5127258

You should volunteer to live in a lab for a year to prove your abilities to the world.

It can be made into a reality show called "Psychic or Psychotic?".

At the end of each episode you beat up a crash dummy because you cannot prove anything.

Posted Image

#14    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

The Holy Dopamine Ghost

• 5,370 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:14 AM

View PostWhite Crane Feather, on 19 April 2014 - 04:50 AM, said:

I suppose if I make peanut a butter helmet you will think pesnuts are not real?

Your logic overwhelms the senses.

Posted Image

#15    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:20 AM

View Postdavros of skaro, on 19 April 2014 - 05:13 AM, said:

http://www.unexplain...60#entry5127258

You should volunteer to live in a lab for a year to prove your abilities to the world.

It can be made into a reality show called "Psychic or Psychotic?".

At the end of each episode you beat up a crash dummy because you cannot prove anything.
The thread is not about me. Do you have a counter argument?

Bruce Lee-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users