Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

EPA biggest attemted land grab in history

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 14,427 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:52 PM

It seems like our government does nothing that doesn't rub me the wrong way these days.

From the article:

In a move lawmakers and farmers are calling “the biggest land grab in the history of the world,” the Environmental Protection Agency is requesting jurisdiction over all public and private streams in the United States that are “intermittent, seasonal and rain-dependent.”

The EPA and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in late March jointly released a proposed rule, Waters of the United States, in an effort to clarify which streams and wetlands are protected under the Clean Water Act.
A statement issued by the EPA says “the proposed rule will benefit businesses by increasing efficiency in determining coverage of the Clean Water Act.”
But some lawmakers strongly disagree.
According to congressional budget testimony last week, Waters of the United States would give the EPA authority over streams on private property even when the water beds have been dry, in some cases for hundreds of years.
Calling it “the biggest land grab in the history of the world,” House Appropriations Committee Chairman Rep. Harold Rogers, R-Ky., said the “economic impact of that would be profound.”
“A community needing to build on private land that had on it one of these so-called streams that you considered a waterway under the new rule would have to travel thousands, hundreds of miles to D.C., to get approval,” Rogers said.
The congressman argued it “would absolutely freeze economic activity in this country.”
Rogers said the proposal is “proof in and of itself of the mal-intent of this administration toward the private sector.”

Read the rest here

#2    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,071 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:02 PM

seriously now you're using world nut daily as a source?

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#3    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:25 PM

View Postninjadude, on 16 April 2014 - 11:02 PM, said:

are any of these acceptable?
http://www.foxnews.c...reams-wetlands/

http://www.breitbart...-Huge-Land-Grab

http://beforeitsnews...so-2451712.html

http://washingtonexa...article/2537428

http://www.bloomberg...-land-grab.html

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#4    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 14,427 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:30 PM

View Postninjadude, on 16 April 2014 - 11:02 PM, said:

If you don't like the message attack the messenger.  Fail.  Pull yer head njd

#5    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:19 AM

Until MSNBC covers the story, it's not news as far as Ninjadud is concerned.

I'll have to research this myself but I am not doubting it out of the gates.  Sounds exactly like something I would expect from an overreaching fed gov.

I'll reserve comments for now...

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#6    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 8,889 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:24 AM

Not exactly new or recent actually ~ I read somewhere last year ( memory fail ) ~ that Agro land in the US highly diminished and what is currently in use is practically  'dead' from chem poisons / fertilizers and useable water sources are too polluted for raw usage ~

And the pollinator population is practically 'gone' ~

~

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#7    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:49 AM

the way I read it the government in this case is kind of damned if they do and damned if they don't. for along time the term waterway was rather constrictive not really allowing the fed to do much. so they made it more inclusive.
which kind of opened a huge can of worms. crap, I have an intermittent stream on my property that may now be deemed a waterway I only own 5 acres am I going to have to plunge through the red tape to clear my tree line which runs along the creek? I kind of see both sides of the argument. I know the water situation in America is poor and probably not getting better I just don't feel this is the best way of going about it. this kind of legislation usually ends up hurting farmers more than anyone and that is one part of our society we need to be helping not hurting.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#8    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,174 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:05 PM

View PostJeremiah65, on 17 April 2014 - 12:19 AM, said:

Until The Republicans do it, it's not a bad thing as far as Ninjadud is concerned.
Fixed that for you.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#9    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,174 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:07 PM

Incidentally, the "largest land grab in the history of the world" is what the British Empire did in 1770 "Terra Nullus" and all that.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#10    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,923 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:28 PM

google: Agenda 21

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#11    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 11,801 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:01 AM

Juristication is not a land grab. Juristician means that they can take actions to protect them from pollution or mismanagement.
Its just an article using any excuse to bash the EPA, again.

It belongs in the same section as the Agenda 21 is a Eugenics program.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 18 April 2014 - 07:03 AM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#12    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,923 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:25 AM

Jurisdiction deprives individuals of property rights.

#13    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 11,801 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

View Postacidhead, on 18 April 2014 - 07:25 AM, said:

Jurisdiction deprives individuals of property rights.
By your logic you should be able to store nuclear waste on your own land without controls.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#14    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,923 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 18 April 2014 - 08:13 AM, said:

By your logic you should be able to store nuclear waste on your own land without controls.

Br Cornelius

Of course not.  No controls on liability?  Currently the GOV controls a limited liability on nuclear power plants by subsidizing private industry on the backs of taxpayers.  If these plants were 100% private they would bear the full responsibility of actual or potential liability.

#15    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,606 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:52 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 18 April 2014 - 08:13 AM, said:

Br Cornelius

Nice straw man argument.   Get a grip on yourself and debate the topic at hand, not your ridiculous straw men.  Ninja attacks the source and corny raises straw men and now you see how the left likes to argue when they haven't a leg to stand on.

Edited by Merc14, 18 April 2014 - 01:54 PM.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users