Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are robonauts better than astronauts ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,931 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

Are robonauts better than astronauts ?
Posted Image
Click here to watch video - 02:48s

Michio Kaku explores whether we are better off sending robots in to space instead of people.

#2    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,326 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:23 PM

I couldn't get the vid to play here on my work computer, so I don;t know what position he takes on this, but my feelings are that while robots can be very useful in space exploration,
I still think that using human crews offers much more versatility, and flexibility than robots do... A robot can only do what it is programmed to do, while a person can "re-program" themselves for
spur of the moment tasks "on-the-fly"...

Plus if people never go to space....  people will never go to space... (if that makes sense)

#3    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,374 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

Robonauts are not better than Astronauts, but before we go anywhere it would be sensible to send a few Robonauts to test the conditions of the place we intend to explore.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#4    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:36 AM

He makes a great point, no need for food, or air, or a return trip and if the robot "dies," build another. It's not a bad compromise until the day come when we find a cheaper and safer way to go into space, and if you could actually control them like an avatar, that would be quite an accomplishment. There is still the problem of a time delay, even at the speed of light it takes a bit for the signals that control your avatar robot to reach them. So you can't just start walking towards a cliff, you have to plan ahead, carefully.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users