Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Conservatives vs Liberals

• Please log in to reply
569 replies to this topic

#16    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

View Postand then, on 17 April 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

Uhh...Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Joe Biden, Al Franken, Charlie Rangel - should I go on?  And since when did a person's IQ determin their value as a human being or their right to take part in the process of self governance?

Ad hominem bud...just cheap shots.  "You believe in a higher power so you must be stupid"

I'm more in line with Rafterman...Fiscally conservative, social Libertarian and I happen to be more agnostic...but that is just me.

This is the best the liberal/progressive left can do.  Attack the "enemy" by insult.  If you cannot force people to see your way then undermine their foundations.

Rather sickening actually...as is anyone who goes along with crap like this and do not see how thinly veiled and desperate it is.

I hope for a total house cleaning in the next election...but the Libs are terrified they are going to lose the Senate.  As much as I want more Libertarian thinking people in office...at this point my thoughts are..."as long as we get rid of the Dems, that is a good start"

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#17    Agent0range

Agent0range

Psychic Spy

• 2,018 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

The studies are using measurable tools to determine this.  IQ tests, SAT like tests to measure grammar, vocabulary, pelling and mathematical skills, and one of the studies from the second link measures the size of areas of the brain.  When looking at the raw data, almost anyone should come up with the same conclusion.

Go into an Obamacare thread and analyze strictly the grammar and spelling of a post.  I will almost guarantee that you will be able to pick out the liberals and conservatives without paying attention to the substance.

#18    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,791 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

Jeremiah - i find it amazing you would class AND THEN as a liberal, a more conservative person I have never encountered.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#19    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• Banned
  • 2,097 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 17 April 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

Jeremiah - i find it amazing you would class AND THEN as a liberal, a more conservative person I have never encountered.

Br Cornelius

I didn't....I was talking about the article and it's content...I just happened to quote his post

Edit to add

But I see what you did there....

Posted Image

very clever Br....very clever....

Edited by Jeremiah65, 17 April 2014 - 03:41 PM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#20    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,791 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

Well then jeremiah I think you have failed in your point as well for the reasons outlined by AgentOrange below;

The studies are using measurable tools to determine this.  IQ tests, SAT like tests to measure grammar, vocabulary, pelling and mathematical skills, and one of the studies from the second link measures the size of areas of the brain.  When looking at the raw data, almost anyone should come up with the same conclusion.

Go into an Obamacare thread and analyze strictly the grammar and spelling of a post.  I will almost guarantee that you will be able to pick out the liberals and conservatives without paying attention to the substance.

Some statements are empirically supportable by unbiased evidence.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#21    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• Banned
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 17 April 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

Well then jeremiah I think you have failed in your point as well for the reasons outlined by AgentOrange below;

Some statements are empirically supportable by unbiased evidence.

Br Cornelius

I disagree with that Br.  I disagree with many generalizations.  Maybe if you spew that stuff around long enough the herds will buy into it..."Oh I must appear to be intelligent so I can't believe in a higher power anymore"...

I know my IQ (and it's not too shabby) and I happen to think there is something out there...I do not know what it is and I do not pretend that any particular religion is right or wrong...they are all attempts to comprehend that which cannot be comprehended by a mortal mind.  I am against people using religion as a weapon...for or against the beliefs of another.

But that is a conversation for another time...

Just saying...generalizations of beliefs and IQ are not always correct.

Edited by Jeremiah65, 17 April 2014 - 03:53 PM.

Posted Image

#22    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,687 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

Political studies are dumb -_-. This is how easy it is to find one that supports your view, just Google it( i just posted the first one that popped up). And you guys conventionality ignored Michelle post. and mine.

http://www.bizpacrev...democrats-54686

Pew makes it official: Republicans are smarter than Democrats

But at the end of the day all political studies are dumb and motivated in a biased way

Edited by spartan max2, 17 April 2014 - 03:54 PM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#23    Agent0range

Agent0range

Psychic Spy

• 2,018 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostJeremiah65, on 17 April 2014 - 03:52 PM, said:

I disagree with that Br.  I disagree with many generalizations.  Maybe if you spew that stuff around long enough the herds will buy into it..."Oh I must appear to be intelligent so I can't believe in a higher power anymore"...

I know my IQ (and it's not too shabby) and I happen to think there is something out there...I do not know what it is and I do not pretend that any particular religion is right or wrong...they are all attempts to comprehend that which cannot be comprehended by a mortal mind.  I am against people using religion as a weapon...for or against the beliefs of another.

But that is a conversation for another time...

Just saying...generalizations of beliefs and IQ are not always correct.

Jeremiah, in addition to IQ tests, there were also SAT like tests given in certain areas.  An IQ test measures your ability to learn, and the other tests measure what you already know.  Let me give you a statement:

Group A and Group B took a series of tests.  Group A had a higher average on their IQ test, mathematics test, spelling test, grammar test, and cognitive ability test than group B.  Please write a hypothesis stating which group is the smarter of the two.

Edited by Agent0range, 17 April 2014 - 04:00 PM.

#24    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,791 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:59 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 17 April 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

Political studies are dumb -_-. This is how easy it is to find one that supports your view, just Google it( i just posted the first one that popped up). And you guys conventionality ignored Michelle post. and mine.

But at the end of the day all political studies are dumb and motivated in a biased way

General knowledge - which is what that survey tested for, is not an indication of intelligence.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#25    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,687 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 17 April 2014 - 03:59 PM, said:

General knowledge - which is what that survey tested for, is not an indication of intelligence.

Br Cornelius

Nope but it does support that democrats get the uninformed vote. If i agree'd with this study anyways, I do not support any political study I am just Illustrating how easy it is to find one.

Edited by spartan max2, 17 April 2014 - 04:03 PM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#26    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,791 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 17 April 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

Nope but it does support that democrats get the uninformed vote. If i agree'd with this study anyways, I do not support any political study I am just Illustrating how easy it is to find one.
The premise of what you said was based on a false assumption that general knowledge equals intelligence, you have demonstrated nothing. Where as the study in the opening post at least uses recognised measures of intelligence and then established the political affiliation of the participants. It is in an entirely different league of academic credibility.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#27    Agent0range

Agent0range

Psychic Spy

• 2,018 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:07 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 17 April 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

And here is where I show you the difference between us, Spartan.  You find some BS, factually wrong right leaning website to present the argument, and I show you scientific measurable data to support mine.  They didn't even get the date of the pew survey correct.  Here are the actual results.  Democrats got 8.6 questions right, and republicans got 8.7 right.  Democrats did in fact score higher on numerous questions even though your article said they didn't score higher on any...

http://www.people-pr...-and-symbols/1/

#28    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,791 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

I think the defining quality of conservatives is their ability to deny empirically derived evidence in favour of belief, and this thread is shaping up to be more proof of my point.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 17 April 2014 - 04:10 PM.

Robert Anton Wilson

#29    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,012 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

I think it's fascinating that such a large group, Democrats, who pride themselves on being so open-minded, all inclusive and accepting are so bigoted towards other political parties...namely Republicans. It makes me wonder if some people ever take a good, honest look at themselves.

#30    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• Banned
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:11 PM

View PostAgent0range, on 17 April 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

Jeremiah, in addition to IQ tests, there were also SAT like tests given in certain areas.  An IQ test measures your ability to learn, and the other tests measure what you already know.  Let me give you a statement:

Group A and Group B took a series of tests.  Group A had a higher average on their IQ test, mathematics test, spelling test, grammar test, and cognitive ability test than group B.  Please write a hypothesis stating which group is the smarter of the two.

Um...no.

It's a trap.

It is my "opinion" that these types of studies are biased toward achieving an end result that is desired by those carrying out the studies.

I admit I often generalize and that is "shame on me".  However, saying something like "oh just look at the anti-obamacare threads for spelling and grammar".  That is a cloaked and veiled attempt to say anyone that disagrees with Crony Capitalism is stupid.

I disagree with Obamacare for a plethora of reasons and none of them are because I want people to be sick and in need of medical attention.  That does not make me "less intelligent" than someone who falls all over themselves for it and refuse to see the bad parts.

Edited by Jeremiah65, 17 April 2014 - 04:12 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users