Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

'Ghost' car caught on dashcam broad daylight

ghost car youtube editing dashcam

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,099 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

View PostRogue Suga, on 19 April 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

Even I don't trust videos posted by people. Yes they can be doctored, cut and photoshopped. I've come across many of these fake videos and it's hard to tell what unless you can see with your own eyes or pick it up on raw CCTV.

Yeah. Unfortunately, that is indeed the case.

When "professional" CGI video was once the domain of high-dollar tech, this was rarely an issue.

Now, anyone with a decent computer, a high-end video card, frame-by-frame video editing software, creativity/attention to detail/and time can produce such clips with disturbing ease.

#17    Mike G

Mike G

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

• Skeptical of the skeptics.

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

Perhaps the greater question is... if there are cars that teleport in Russia... so what?

Posted Image

#18    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,124 posts

• Belief proves nothing. Show me the science.

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

View PostJesseCuster, on 18 April 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

My guess is that the timing of the movement of the 2 cars in front of the dashcam is such that they obscure the ghost car when it makes an illegal crossing of the junction from the direction of where the tram is.

The ghost car is driving down the street the stopped tram can be seen on.  There's 2 cars in front of the dashcam and when the front car covers up the view where the tram is, the ghost car runs the red light but can't be seen from the dashcam because it's behind the front 2 cars.  It runs the red light and passes between the very front car and the car that almost hits it.  Just around the time the brake lights come on, you can see the rear of the ghost car to the right of the car that brakes and as pointed out above, the cars actually collide and part of one of the cars can be seen coming off and hitting the street.

The car on the right that is making the turn parallel to the dash-cam car brakes for a moment just prior to the ghost car appearing.  It is possible that the ghost car was merely obscured from view during the turn.  Running the video slowly, I tried to find evidence of the g-car in the frames prior to its appearance.  At one point, it is possible to see through the BMW to the cars stopped at the other side.  I suspect there is probably some clever editing at work here.

#19    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,091 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

What I find weird is the lighting on the car that was hit, look at it at 0:10 seconds and see how too bright the ground is under the car (between the four wheels)

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route to find out what really happened.

#20    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,802 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:35 PM

View Postsinewave, on 19 April 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

The car on the right that is making the turn parallel to the dash-cam car brakes for a moment just prior to the ghost car appearing.  It is possible that the ghost car was merely obscured from view during the turn.  Running the video slowly, I tried to find evidence of the g-car in the frames prior to its appearance.  At one point, it is possible to see through the BMW to the cars stopped at the other side.  I suspect there is probably some clever editing at work here.
Perhaps, but I think people on this forum can be too quick to jump to conclusions of Photoshopping and video editing trickery when there are simpler explanations.   I think it's far more common for people to see something in their videos or photos, think it's paranormal or want others to think it's paranormal, and upload the video/photo to the Internet claiming it's paranormal (sometimes accompanied with a BS story surrounding) it, than people actually editing photos and video to hoax others (although that does obviously happen as well).  All too often stuff is posted on these forums and people immediately declare "Photoshop!" "After Effects!" when that's a completely unwarranted conclusion.

Note that the ghost car doesn't merely appear emerging to the left of the car that brakes, its rear end can be seen poking out at the right just as the car brakes, and the position of the cars would allow the ghost car to run through the junction without being seen from the dashcam.  It's not like the ghost car actually emerges from nowhere and can only be explained by it materialising out of thin air or by it being edited in/out of the video.

Why attribute something to video editing that can be explained easily otherwise?

Edited by JesseCuster, 20 April 2014 - 01:36 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

"If people put enough excrement in one pile they think they can safely claim that there must be something other than excrement in a pile that big." - stereologist

#21    stanmac

stanmac

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

surely there was some vision after the impact....what happened to the ghost car afterwards...did ghosts get out and were they wearing seatbelts?

#22    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,124 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

View PostJesseCuster, on 20 April 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

Perhaps, but I think people on this forum can be too quick to jump to conclusions of Photoshopping and video editing trickery when there are simpler explanations.   I think it's far more common for people to see something in their videos or photos, think it's paranormal or want others to think it's paranormal, and upload the video/photo to the Internet claiming it's paranormal (sometimes accompanied with a BS story surrounding) it, than people actually editing photos and video to hoax others (although that does obviously happen as well).  All too often stuff is posted on these forums and people immediately declare "Photoshop!" "After Effects!" when that's a completely unwarranted conclusion.

Note that the ghost car doesn't merely appear emerging to the left of the car that brakes, its rear end can be seen poking out at the right just as the car brakes, and the position of the cars would allow the ghost car to run through the junction without being seen from the dashcam.  It's not like the ghost car actually emerges from nowhere and can only be explained by it materialising out of thin air or by it being edited in/out of the video.

Why attribute something to video editing that can be explained easily otherwise?

OK, I see it now.  There is movement (head lights) to the left of the tram just after the signal goes to green.  That is the g-car approaching the intersection.  The driver of the g-car then runs the red light and the timing is such that it is not visible from the position of the dash cam until it emerges past the BMW.  It is merely an illusion  setup by the timing of the cars.

#23    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,802 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:00 AM

View Postsinewave, on 20 April 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

It is merely an illusion  setup by the timing of the cars.
Yup, I think that's the most likely explanation.

Edited by JesseCuster, 21 April 2014 - 12:00 AM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

"If people put enough excrement in one pile they think they can safely claim that there must be something other than excrement in a pile that big." - stereologist

#24    SecretAgentMathew

SecretAgentMathew

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

• The public has been deceived for too long and it's time someone takes a stand. I will!

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

This is not editing/trickery this is a garage build of the back to the future car and they achieved time travel !!! Congrats

#25    SecretAgentMathew

SecretAgentMathew

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

• The public has been deceived for too long and it's time someone takes a stand. I will!

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:08 PM

And its the cheap dashcam not recognizing the other vehicle... happens all the time.

#26    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:22 PM

i agree that it's just an optical illusion.

But a good thing to remember is that we're nearing the end of the academic semester for a lot of schools and it's time to turn in those final projects - you know, for your movie making and photo editing classes.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#27    Nicany

Nicany

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:14 PM

At first I thought the "Ghost Car," was passing thru the other one, like a ghost in a wall. Then I noteced it didn't come in on the right side. I agree this is CGI, but wow!

#28    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,124 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

View PostNicany, on 21 April 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

At first I thought the "Ghost Car," was passing thru the other one, like a ghost in a wall. Then I noteced it didn't come in on the right side. I agree this is CGI, but wow!

Actually, no.  It is just an illusion.  The driver ran the red light from the lane to the left of the tram but the view of from the dash cam remained blocked by the BMW until just before the collision.  I does not appear to have been edited.

#29    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,099 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:42 PM

View Postsinewave, on 21 April 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

Actually, no.  It is just an illusion.  The driver ran the red light from the lane to the left of the tram but the view of from the dash cam remained blocked by the BMW until just before the collision.  I does not appear to have been edited.

Perhaps, and certainly a possibility I also considered when I first viewed it.

However, note that there are the same number of static headlights before and after the event.

Also, if it were speeding before it could be seen, IT WOULD be seen at some point approaching the moving cars, I would think.

I do not see the the "ghost car" anywhere through the back and front windshields of the affected car. (Perhaps it's too dark, or the angle isn't right, though, or the headrests are in the way)

Heck i don't know, maybe it is just an optical illusion, but it sure isn't a "ghost car"

Also tagged with ghost, car, youtube, editing, dashcam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users