Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Portland dumps 38m gallons of water

urinating water dumping mt tabor reservoir gallons portland oregon

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,879 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

The US city of Portland, Oregon, is dumping 38m gallons (143m litres) of water from its reservoir after a teenager was caught urinating into the water supply.

CCTV footage of the Mt Tabor reservoir captured the man urinating and two others attempting to scale the reservoir's fence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-27069611

Posted Image

#2    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,508 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

This is, perhaps, one of the dopiest things I have heard about in  long while.  A 1/2 a cup of urine in 38 million gallons of water couldn't possibly affect the water in any way.  Especially when you consider all the animal waste that has to find its way into that open area.

Edited by Merc14, 18 April 2014 - 12:56 PM.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#3    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 14,313 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

If they don't want it they should just ship it down to California.  After the drought they've been going through they won't mind a little p*** in thier water.

#4    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

I heard about this yesterday.  Ridiculous and stupid.

Never mind the bird poop, the raccoon poop, the opossum poop, the fish poop, the decomposing fish and animal carcasses...that's all good!  But that kid had super powerful poison urine...must drain!

This rates very high on the waste and stupidity scale...farmers and people are rationing water but let just throw millions of gallons away....

What party runs this municipality?

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#5    JustTerri

JustTerri

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

Probably wasn't the first kid to do it and certainly won't be the last.

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,034 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:04 PM

And if they had done nothing, the litigation mad members of society would have had a field day suing over "pee water" and claiming they've been poisoned etc by it.
"In Catch-22 we suffer" should be on your money rather then "In God we Trust".

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,040 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:51 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 18 April 2014 - 11:04 PM, said:

And if they had done nothing, the litigation mad members of society would have had a field day suing over "pee water" and claiming they've been poisoned etc by it.
"In Catch-22 we suffer" should be on your money rather then "In God we Trust".
If Portlanders are that squeamish over a little pollution then they'd better call it a day.  A few ounces of botulinum toxin yeah..but URINE?  They're a real bunch of manly men, aren't they?  :w00t:

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#8    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 12,192 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:19 AM

A little urine in the diet is a good thing.  And no, this time I'm not talking about golden showers or water sports.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#9    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,034 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:24 AM

You're just talking the p*** now Yams

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#10    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:26 PM

The guy that authorized this needs to be fired and fired immediately.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#11    WolvenHeart7

WolvenHeart7

EternalSeer

• 3,874 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

Wow, so ridiculous... How can anyone with a brain or conscience waste so much? Wait, no one has those anymore.

I don't even waste a cup of water without feeling bad about it.

"When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do." -William Blake

#12    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 7,150 posts

• I know someday
    you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a sun
    In somebody else's sky
    But why can't it be mine? -Pearl Jam

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:28 PM

What was wasteful about it? It's not like the water was destroyed, it was let back into the natural water cycle. I agree that they should have found a non-potable use for that water instead of just draining it off but the Pacific Northwest has enough water that 38m  gallons of water is a pittance.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#13    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,251 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 18 April 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

The US city of Portland, Oregon, is dumping 38m gallons (143m litres) of water from its reservoir after a teenager was caught urinating into the water supply.

CCTV footage of the Mt Tabor reservoir captured the man urinating and two others attempting to scale the reservoir's fence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-27069611

I've walked by this reservoir many times. It is an open air concrete basin. It has a 6 foot iron fence around it. It used to be that the gates were open and people could walk along the rim of the basin, but now they lock it, because....

Teens and other kids repeatedly threw trash in there. Some threw dead animals in there. Some dropped their feces in there. Some threw their dog's feces in there. All that crap started making a nice gunky layer along the bottom, and POed the population. So they locked the gates, but kids still regularly climb the fence and pee into it or toss tires into it, and whatnot. That is why they prosecute the people doing so, because to NOT prosecute would make it open season for other kids to toss stuff in there.

There was a plan to build a cover over the basin, but it was decided that it cost more to build the cover then to empty the basin two or three times a year into the near future.

The water from the reservoir goes directly from the basin to the taps of Portland, it is not filtered or treated after leaving the basin. So when the basin gets something in it, it is a big deal.

Also I don't think anyone considers that water wasted. The basin is like 1/16th of a mile long and 1/32nd of a mile wide, but just down the hill there is a river that is 1/2 a mile wide (the Willamette River), so water is not something people in Portland really worry about. About many times the water volume of the basin goes into the river whenever it rains....

The city annually uses about 33 Billion gallons, so the 38 million gallons is about 2.5 days of water for the city.

Edited by DieChecker, 22 April 2014 - 08:56 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#14    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,508 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:36 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 22 April 2014 - 08:52 PM, said:

I've walked by this reservoir many times. It is an open air concrete basin. It has a 6 foot iron fence around it. It used to be that the gates were open and people could walk along the rim of the basin, but now they lock it, because....

Teens and other kids repeatedly threw trash in there. Some threw dead animals in there. Some dropped their feces in there. Some threw their dog's feces in there. All that crap started making a nice gunky layer along the bottom, and POed the population. So they locked the gates, but kids still regularly climb the fence and pee into it or toss tires into it, and whatnot. That is why they prosecute the people doing so, because to NOT prosecute would make it open season for other kids to toss stuff in there.

There was a plan to build a cover over the basin, but it was decided that it cost more to build the cover then to empty the basin two or three times a year into the near future.

The water from the reservoir goes directly from the basin to the taps of Portland, it is not filtered or treated after leaving the basin. So when the basin gets something in it, it is a big deal.

Also I don't think anyone considers that water wasted. The basin is like 1/16th of a mile long and 1/32nd of a mile wide, but just down the hill there is a river that is 1/2 a mile wide (the Willamette River), so water is not something people in Portland really worry about. About many times the water volume of the basin goes into the river whenever it rains....

The city annually uses about 33 Billion gallons, so the 38 million gallons is about 2.5 days of water for the city.

That is all fine, diechecker but dumping 38 million gallons of water because a cup and a half of human urine was dumped in it ts so laughably overreacting that only a nut would consider it a rational reaction to the event.  Should we dump every swimming pool in America because a kid pees in it?  Of course not and why?   Because the amount of urine from a kid peeing is so miniscule when when mixed with even a 38K gallon pool, that it isn't measurable much less significantly affecting the water quality.  

Second, urine is a sterile liquid when it leaves the bladder, unless the person has a UTI,  It may pick up some bacteria from the external parts of the genitalia but rain water has far more contaminants so should the dump the reservoir when it rains?

If they dump the contents of the reservoir a couple of times a year and this was about that time then why didn't they say that?

Lastly, the river may be a couple of miles wide but it doesn't go directly to the taps.  That river water is processed and then stored in the reservoir so the cost of pumping, filtering and chemically treating 38 million gallons of river water just got flushed down the drain (pun intended) because of a pint and a half of urine. If that cost is minimal anyways, as you and slave2fate have suggested, then the water bill for the people of Portland should be pennies a year per person, no?  A quick check shows that isn't the case, though, with an expected average of $50/month per household being suggested by the local real estate agents.  So $600 a year per household and they dump 38 million gallons of processed water over a pint and a half of pee?

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#15    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,898 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:08 PM

"Oh ****, I see dust in my glass of water. Better pour it down the drain and get a new glass. [...] They did WHAT? They dumped 38 million gallons back into the Earth's ecosystem because someone peed in it? Idiots..."

:rolleyes:

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users