Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Vintage Easter cards

easter cards vintage bunnies fluffy baby chicks chocolate easter eggs rabbits chickens

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,581 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:28 PM

From bunnies to fluffy baby chicks, Easter is synonymous with all things cute. But while chocolate Easter eggs are a relatively modern phenomenon, as these stunning vintage cards reveal, an appreciation for all things adorable is not.

The Easter cards, which date from the early years of the 20th century, are festooned with delicately drawn rabbits, multicoloured chickens and rosy-cheeked cherubs galore.

http://www.dailymail...th-century.html

Posted Image

#2    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

has a cape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:59 PM

always interesting, though i have to admit that the image of a giant winged baby pecking its way out of an egg seems more unsettling to me than charming.

also, the way they try to connect the modern easter bunny directly with paganism is a bit of sketchy scholarship, in my opinion.

#3    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,718 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:06 PM

View Postseaturtlehorsesnake, on 18 April 2014 - 09:59 PM, said:

always interesting, though i have to admit that the image of a giant winged baby pecking its way out of an egg seems more unsettling to me than charming.

also, the way they try to connect the modern easter bunny directly with paganism is a bit of sketchy scholarship, in my opinion.

Well..actually, from what I recall reading, the bunny was one of the animals associated with the goddess Eostre. Apparently baby animals like bunnies and chicks was some of her animals.

I think it is a german mythology and eggs, as I recall, date back even to the egyptians...I probably am wrong but I think that is what I read.

At any rate, the cards shown are really nice.

#4    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

has a cape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:12 PM

there are a lot of myths that have connections between rabbits and fertility,  but the way it was phrased in the article made it seem like there was a direct line of descent from the one to modern practice. and...

ok, maybe I'm making to much of it.

#5    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,406 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:09 PM

It looks like people have never had the correct imagery when celebrating the holiday meant to mark the resurrection.  Bunnies, chicks, eggs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users