Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Solved: '71 Disappearance of S.D. Teens

Regi

The two teenaged girls- and their vehicle- disappeared one night as they'd followed another vehicle to a party out near a gravel pit.

The vehicle was finally found in September of '13 and DNA completed earlier this month confirmed that the skeletal remains inside were those of the missing teens.

Now, I must say, it blows my mind that that vehicle wasn't found at the time. How was it missed? It's such an obvious location, it amazes me.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/16/south-dakota-girls-1971-car-crash-mystery

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/15/us-usa-southdakota-coldcase-idUSBREA3E21M20140415

http://abcnews.go.com/US/case-missing-south-dakota-girls-finally-solved-40/story?id=23347176

I read about this a few days ago. The saddest part is that one of the girls father died something like five days before the discovery and went to his grave never knowing.

• Like 3

I read about this a few days ago. The saddest part is that one of the girls father died something like five days before the discovery and went to his grave never knowing.

i agree

after all these years, to pass away a mere five days before they were recovered is so incredibly sad

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure I first read about this case back when the vehicle was discovered in September.

About the father, I would think that's a sad aspect if not for my faith which is that I believe he came to know before anyone else did.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure I first read about this case back when the vehicle was discovered in September.

About the father, I would think that's a sad aspect if not for my faith which is that I believe he came to know before anyone else did.

If the NDE stories are true then maybe she was waiting to greet him! :)
  • Like 2

That must have been a deep creek to be so deep that the car wasn't found until 40 years later during a drought.

I guess it was deep enough, but what's most shocking to me is that the car was right there. Not only was it a half mile from the gravel pit- that is, where the girls were headed that night, but it was precisely where one would expect given an accident scenario having occurred at that bridge.

The only explanation I can come up with is that no one thoughtfully considered an accident scenario.

Edited by regi