Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Palcohol: Powdered alcohol, just add water!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,679 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

Is this really a good idea? I s'pose from one angle, if you liked a rum and coke, you just add it to the coke!

US approves 'Palcohol' - powdered alcohol is on the way!

A new brand of powdered alcohol - designed to be mixed into a drink or sprinkled over food - has been signed off by the US government and will be available in autumn of this year.
American drinkers could find themselves sprinkling their favourite beverage rather than pouring it, as powdered alcohol brand 'Palcohol' is now fully approved by the US government.

The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau this week signed off on seven versions of Palcohol, including Margarita and Cosmopolitan flavours, which will be made available in autumn of this year.

http://www.telegraph...on-the-way.html

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,799 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

... sprinkled over food???? :huh: :huh: :huh:

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,679 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 21 April 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:

... sprinkled over food???? :huh: :huh: :huh:

yes, it turns coco pops into alco pops!  :lol:

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#4    ThesillyfunnyguyIDK

ThesillyfunnyguyIDK

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

• There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

damn, why dont i just put powder cocaine in my coke, 10 times better, 10 times the buzz

Posted Image

#5    AliveInDeath7

AliveInDeath7

Enlightened Seeker

• 2,712 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

Hell yeah, now all alcoholics can drink everywhere.

#6    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 11,902 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

Sounds friggin disgusting.  I like to drink expensive aged whiskey, no way I will ever try this.

#7    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,414 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

Maybe I'm a traditionalist but I don't like this idea. I'm not even comfortable with alcohol in plastic bottles. Anything less than a glass container and I feel like trailer trash when I drink it... :lol:

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#8    George Ford

George Ford

Shadow Slayer

• 2,644 posts

• "Quickly, I require your fingers."

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:38 PM

I don't see why we need it. I can't imagine them ever using it in pubs when you have the option of proper drinks. Their example is for concerts and I can imagine in the middle of nowhere it might become popular depending on weight and cost.

-EDIT-

The official website:- http://www.palcohol.com/home.html

Looks suspiciously like a scam/hoax to me.

Edited by bulveye, 21 April 2014 - 09:41 PM.

“Extraordinary claims require extraoardinary evidence”

~
Carl Sagan

#9    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,679 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:10 PM

Spirit kits are already available, and have been for some time.... like home brew kits for beer...and vodka..rum, whisky

http://www.the-home-...ml#.U1WW_qL4Jeo

http://www.the-home-...pirit_Kits.html

Edited by seeder, 21 April 2014 - 10:51 PM.

#10    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 10,953 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:30 PM

View PostOverSword, on 21 April 2014 - 07:08 PM, said:

Sounds friggin disgusting.  I like to drink expensive aged whiskey, no way I will ever try this.

Oh crap, now I have to ask :-) my personal favorites are the Islay whiskeys, like Oban, lagavulin And Laphroiagh. A glemkinchie before dinner, nice and light..

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#11    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,471 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:04 AM

Whut!?   ..  people will put it in a beer and invent  8000proof  beer!   It sounds very DANGEROUS .

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#12    AliveInDeath7

AliveInDeath7

Enlightened Seeker

• 2,712 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:07 AM

View Postlightly, on 22 April 2014 - 12:04 AM, said:

Whut!?   ..  people will put it in a beer and invent  8000proof  beer!   It sounds very DANGEROUS .

I'm sure the dosages aren't that high. It would take a lot of powder to do it and they probably only sell it in certain amounts at a time.

#13    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 12,886 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:44 AM

View Postlightly, on 22 April 2014 - 12:04 AM, said:

Speaking as an alcoholic in recovery I can tell you it opens up some opportunities for serious harm to be done by unscrupulous people.  In public situations I always opt for a canned soft drink UNOPENED.  If someone brings me a glass of anything I take it politely then sit it down and move on.  I don't trust my sobriety to anyone else who might just think it'd be funny to see someone slip off the wagon.  It's NOT funny - it's potentially deadly.  This stuff could make that even easier to accomplish.  NTM kids being able to spike each other's ANYTHING...

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#14    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,471 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

View PostAliveInDeath7, on 22 April 2014 - 12:07 AM, said:

I'm sure the dosages aren't that high. It would take a lot of powder to do it and they probably only sell it in certain amounts at a time.

Maybe your right...  i just fear that some people will find a way  around  a "legal" amount.   It sounds like it would be too easy to overdose
with the 'powder'.  i dunno how potent this powder is.  It seems like a really dangerous and stupid thing to put  out on the market.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#15    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,679 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

View Postlightly, on 22 April 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

Maybe your right...  i just fear that some people will find a way  around  a "legal" amount.   It sounds like it would be too easy to overdose
with the 'powder'.  i dunno how potent this powder is.  It seems like a really dangerous and stupid thing to put  out on the market.

And not forgetting at the bottom of the article it says

"He points out that powdered alcohol is not a new concept, with similar products already sold in countries like Japan and Germany. Alcohol as a powder has even been sold in the US and has been the subject of several US patents".

Well that may be so, but first time Ive heard of it thats for sure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users