Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 2 votes

Primate displays fire making abilities

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,954 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

An interesting new video from the BBC series "Monkey Planet" shows a primate building fires and cooking food, but yet we're supposed to accept that Bigfoot-type creatures - claimed by many to be just as intelligent as humans - who have lived side-by-side with humans for thousands of years display no such learning abilities.  

Another nail in the Bigfoot coffin.

An ape builds fire and toasts marshmallows in amazing BBC video for 'Monkey Planet'

An ape at the Iowa Primate Learning Sanctuary in Des Moines is stirring Internet buzz with a stunning demonstration of primate intelligence on the BBC series "Monkey Planet."
BBC

A You Tube video clip from the series shows the animal building a fire from scratch and toasting marshmallows without human help.

http://www.syracuse....t_river_default

Edited by Still Waters, 22 April 2014 - 11:14 AM.
Reduced amount of copied text - please avoid copy & pasting entire web pages or articles

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#2    SecretAgentMathew

SecretAgentMathew

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

• The public has been deceived for too long and it's time someone takes a stand. I will!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

View PostRafterman, on 22 April 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

An interesting new video from the BBC series "Monkey Planet" shows a primate building fires and cooking food, but yet we're supposed to accept that Bigfoot-type creatures - claimed by many to be just as intelligent as humans - who have lived side-by-side with humans for thousands of years display no such learning abilities.  

http://www.syracuse....t_river_default

And how much training did this take? will this ape tell the other apes how to make fire?

We are nothing like apes in my opinion

Edited by Still Waters, 22 April 2014 - 11:17 AM.
Shortened quoted post

#3    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,954 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:44 AM

View PostSecretAgentMathew, on 22 April 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

And how much training did this take? will this ape tell the other apes how to make fire?

Well that's kind of the point.  The Footers claim that BF is of equal if not more intelligent than humans and yet this "dumb ape" can be taught to build a fire and cook food.  Where are the BF villages, the tools, the fires, the food prep areas, etc, etc.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#4    SecretAgentMathew

SecretAgentMathew

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

• The public has been deceived for too long and it's time someone takes a stand. I will!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

View PostRafterman, on 22 April 2014 - 10:44 AM, said:

Well that's kind of the point.  The Footers claim that BF is of equal if not more intelligent than humans and yet this "dumb ape" can be taught to build a fire and cook food.  Where are the BF villages, the tools, the fires, the food prep areas, etc, etc.

Lately for some reason I have been thinking that bigfoot could be some sort of alien perhaps the greys have rather large bodyguards?

Hell ... they even had that bigfoot thing in star wars

Edited by SecretAgentMathew, 22 April 2014 - 11:09 AM.

#5    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,609 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

It bugs me when people use the old native american legends of bigfoot as "evidence" of bigfoot existence.

Native americans had many legends that were not true.

http://listverse.com...rican-monsters/

#6    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,933 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

View PostSecretAgentMathew, on 22 April 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

Apes do have a good learning ability.  I remember watching a documentary years ago where a guy would drop some fruit off on a sandy river bed every day, and the apes would show up later to collect them every day.  They would then spend a lot of time cleaning off all of the sand while eating them.  Then one day one of the females washed it off in the river before eating it, all of the others saw this and from that day forward they would all immediately clean their food off with the river before eating.

#7    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,954 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

View PostMyles, on 22 April 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

It bugs me when people use the old native american legends of bigfoot as "evidence" of bigfoot existence.

Native americans had many legends that were not true.

http://listverse.com...rican-monsters/

Agreed.  It's just post-hoc bull**** attempting to weave an historical record that doesn't exist.

View PostWickian, on 22 April 2014 - 12:58 PM, said:

Apes do have a good learning ability.  I remember watching a documentary years ago where a guy would drop some fruit off on a sandy river bed every day, and the apes would show up later to collect them every day.  They would then spend a lot of time cleaning off all of the sand while eating them.  Then one day one of the females washed it off in the river before eating it, all of the others saw this and from that day forward they would all immediately clean their food off with the river before eating.

After living next to us for thousands of years, you'd think an equally intelligent primate like BF would want to be driving a Lexus and watching a flat screen by now

#8    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

Same with the Australian Yowie. Aboriginal tales described it as a short man with backward facing feet. So if someone tried to follow the Yowies footprints they would head in the wrong direction. Now its just described like a bigfoot, except in Aus.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#9    mfrmboy

mfrmboy

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

• Beam Moo Up!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

One man's TOOL is another man's TOY ! :tu:

#10    mfrmboy

mfrmboy

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

• Beam Moo Up!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

If monkeys make fire then I see alot of wildfires and burned monkeys.   Fur + fire = Disaster :yes:

Edited by mfrmboy, 22 April 2014 - 01:45 PM.

#11    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,574 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

yes its a great vid and thanks for posting it, but Im inclined to think it is indeed a 'monkey see-monkey do' kind of thing. I mean, without matches, or a BIC lighter, he's screwed right?

Dont get me wrong, either way its pretty cool, but we have also seen smoking chimps...

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#12    mfrmboy

mfrmboy

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

• Beam Moo Up!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Yeah its says without human help. I was expecting sticks rubbed together or something along those lines. This is hardly without human help.

#13    Mike G

Mike G

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

• Skeptical of the skeptics.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

View PostRafterman, on 22 April 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

That conclusion seems like quite a leap in logic.

Posted Image

#14    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 8,589 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

DOn't leave the loaded guns lying around within reach of the apes is all I can say ~

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#15    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,609 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

The video clip is so pieced together, it's hard to tell what went on.    His fingers are show lighting a match, then the next part is of a fire burning much more than it wouls have if it was just started.   With only that video, I have to assume there is a reason why the camera was not panned out so we could see the whole thing from start to finish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users