Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Buddha tattoo sees Briton deported

buddha tattoo naomi michelle coleman bandaranaike airport lotus flower deported british tourist

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,392 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

A British tourist is to be deported from Sri Lanka because of a tattoo of Buddha on her arm.

Sri Lankan police said Naomi Michelle Coleman, 37, was arrested at Bandaranaike International Airport in the capital, Colombo, after she arrived from India.

A police spokesman said she was arrested for "hurting others' religious feelings" after the tattoo of a Buddha seated on a lotus flower was spotted on her right arm.

https://uk.news.yaho...29.html#O5xRiQ2

Posted Image

#2    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,571 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

Serves her right for pandering to other peoples right to be offended over absolutely nothing...

#3    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,178 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

I wonder what the Compassionate Buddha would have to say about it all .... not seeing how failing to recognise one's own "suffering" or in the case "taking offence" is honouring his life's work personally.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#4    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,798 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

Crazy. I bet while they arrested her for a tattoo of a Buddha, they gave clearance to someone with a tattooed swastika on their forehead.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#5    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,178 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

View Post:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:, on 22 April 2014 - 01:22 PM, said:

Crazy. I bet while they arrested her for a tattoo of a Buddha, they gave clearance to someone with a tattooed swastika on their forehead.
Actually that might offend them too - the swastika is a sacred symbol in Buddhism and means nothing like what it stood for with the Nazis.  On that note, we had a chinese festival in Melbourne some years ago where the flower arrangements were done in the shape of a swastika - the Jews were deeply offended and the arrangements had to be removed.  This world is a little crazy no matter where you live on it I think.

The Swastika in Buddhism

http://www.religionf...ls/swastika.htm

The swastika (Sanskrit svastika, "all is well") is a cross with four arms of equal length, with the ends of each arm bent at a right angle. Sometimes dots are added between each arm.

The swastika is an ancient symbol found worldwide, but it is especially common in India. It can be seen in [color=#9040AD !important][background=transparent !important]the art of the[/background]
Egyptians, Romans, Greeks, Celts, [color=#9040AD !important][background=transparent !important]Native Americans[/background][/color], and Persians as well Hindus, Jains and Buddhists.
[/color][color=#000000]
The swastika's Indian name comes the Sanskrit word svasti, meaninggood fortune, luck and well being.
[/color]

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#6    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,191 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

At least she was deported...when the cartoons of Muhammad got published by the Danes that resulted in death threats...

Extreme I know..

heres the image

http://www.dailymail...l-religion.html

Edited by Still Waters, 22 April 2014 - 09:32 PM.
Replaced copyrighted image with source link

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#7    Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko

Who's to say what is proper?

• 3,017 posts

• "Is this your last best chance? Or are you going to your grave with unlived lives in your veins?"

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:54 PM

Well ... she should have just covered it up, but still this is silly. There's tons of people with tattoos of crosses and Jesus and every other Christian variation... I'm not getting my feelings hurt by it.

#8    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,191 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:00 PM

View PostLaurent, on 22 April 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

Well ... she should have just covered it up, but still this is silly. There's tons of people with tattoos of crosses and Jesus and every other Christian variation... I'm not getting my feelings hurt by it.

yep, you cant have a tattoo of Buddha, but you can probably buy the statues in the tourist shops  :yes:

heres another story on the same thing, first heres the image

http://weirdcrime.ne...-statue-photos/

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#9    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,392 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

Update -

A British tourist arrested in Sri Lanka because she had a Buddha tattoo on her arm said she has been offered a holiday in the country "as an apology".

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-27138254

Posted Image

#10    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,798 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 22 April 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

Actually that might offend them too - the swastika is a sacred symbol in Buddhism and means nothing like what it stood for with the Nazis.  On that note, we had a chinese festival in Melbourne some years ago where the flower arrangements were done in the shape of a swastika - the Jews were deeply offended and the arrangements had to be removed.  This world is a little crazy no matter where you live on it I think.

I wasn't aware of this fact. It certainly made my first comment a bit redundant haha.

Because of its use in WWII, the most common meaning behind the swastika has trumped me to realize there might be a prior history of the symbol.

This is why I love this board. I learn something new everyday. It's brain food!

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#11    cisum

cisum

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

The real insult, in my opinion, is that they think for even a moment, she'd be interested in going back. Nothing but that ridiculous idea deserves to be frowned upon.

Edited by cisum, 28 April 2014 - 01:41 PM.

#12    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 3,524 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

View Post:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:, on 25 April 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

I wasn't aware of this fact. It certainly made my first comment a bit redundant haha.

Because of its use in WWII, the most common meaning behind the swastika has trumped me to realize there might be a prior history of the symbol.

This is why I love this board. I learn something new everyday. It's brain food!
The Nazis messed it all up. This and the whole Germanic history of my homecountry including it's mythology. What a shame.

#13    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 3,524 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

View Postcisum, on 28 April 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

The real insult, in my opinion, is that they think for even a moment, she'd be interested in going back. Nothing but that ridiculous idea deserves to be frowned upon.
I don't see an apology as an insult. :) And sometimes it's good to forgive and forget.

#14    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

The "swastika" as a Buddhist symbol is not the same as the Nazi variation.  It's at an angle and the arms point the opposite way.  I would ascribe any identification of the two to ignorance.

#15    cisum

cisum

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:35 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 28 April 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

I don't see an apology as an insult. :) And sometimes it's good to forgive and forget.
In no way do I mean that she should hold a grudge nor am I against the apology. I just think the offer is nonsensical considering the unnecessary disrespect she was shown to begin with. While I'm sure Naomi is willing to forgive and forget, in her mind, the damage has no doubt already been done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users